Bengals Draft Plan???

Page 8 of If you're Mike Brown what would your plan be? I'd take Green first, hope Ingram slides to you in the second, draft two players on the O-Line and have M... 127 comments | 2370 Views | Go to page 1 →

  1. #106

    Join Date
    Oct 07
    Location
    Anywhere and everywhere is the residence for Mr. Cats.
    Posts
    12,708

    Quote Originally Posted by Original Rookie View Post
    4th Round Bengals take Clint Boling OG from Georgia. I know nothing about him but McShay had him as the 50th best player in the draft and we got him at 101. Sounds good to me.
    He was pretty good there wasn't he? Multiple year starter in the SEC if I'm not mistaken, has to be pretty good.
    Advertisement

  2. #107

    Join Date
    Jan 09
    Location
    Lexington
    Posts
    8,722

    He was the best O-lineman left on a lot of boards. I'm assuming he's a pretty solid pick.

  3. #108

    Join Date
    Jan 05
    Location
    Flo
    Posts
    20,339

    Quote Originally Posted by CatsCatsCats View Post
    He was pretty good there wasn't he? Multiple year starter in the SEC if I'm not mistaken, has to be pretty good.
    Four year starter.

  4. #109

    Join Date
    Nov 08
    Location
    N. KY.
    Posts
    34,267

    Typical mid round pick for the Bengals, and I don't mean that in a derogatory way. The Bengals love to take the highly undervalued or overlooked guy in these mid rounds. Honestly, it is the one place they have had some semblance of success in drafts over the years. Some of their best picks were guys that everyone thought should have been drafted much higher. Two that come to mind are Boomer Esiason and David Fulcher. Look in recent years at Shipley and Dunlap last year, Maualuga and Johnson in 2009, Thurman in 2005 (?), etc. Some of their best picks have been rounds 2 and 3 on these kinds of guys. Ochocinco was 2nd round. Collinsworth was second round. Pickens ... 2nd round. Dillon ... 2nd round. For all their failings, rounds 2 and 3 have been pretty good. So choosing a guy like Boling who everyone thought should have gone much higher is right up the Bengals' alley.

    I really like the draft regardless of what happens the rest of the way. They got perhaps the best player in the draft in round 1. They got the most seasoned and productive QB in the draft in round 2 at a position of need. And they get a very good value interior lineman to help another weakness at guard. A little bit of a project with the round 3 guy but clearly a great athlete. Good draft. Very good.

  5. #110

    Join Date
    Oct 07
    Location
    Anywhere and everywhere is the residence for Mr. Cats.
    Posts
    12,708

    Quote Originally Posted by Original Rookie View Post
    Four year starter.
    That's what I thought. I thought I remembered him being one of the guys they played the year they went really young on the OLine.

  6. #111

    Join Date
    Jan 08
    Posts
    9,045

    Quote Originally Posted by CatsCatsCats View Post
    #1 No way Jordan Palmer gets them more than 2 wins. And you will lose that bet on Mallett being better than either of the top 2 next year. Badly. I guarantee it. I will go ahead and laugh at Mallett being half the QB Luck is.



    Yeah but one of the knocks on Mallett is that he's too tall. He's 6'7" and if he's a sccessful NFL QB he will be the first to be that tall. 6'3"-65" is about as tall as they want them. Manning is 6'6" and is very immoble, but he makes up for that with excellent pocket pressence. Do you think Mallett can make up for being a statue, he really couldn't in college so I'm doubting it in the NFL. Teams that got pressure sacked him and forced him into mistakes. Outside of arm strength I see no real reason Mallett would be coveted in the NFL. Bad attitude, bad feet, gimmicky offense (for something that looks pro-style), bad plays in big spots.

    Why is Mallett such a good prospect again? I'll be waiting.
    To win the bet he doesn't have to be half the QB Luck is. Maybe you should be a scout in the NFL. You sure do know how good QB's that are still in college are going to be way down the road.

    Mallett has a huge arm and he'll be learning from the best. He'll be good imo, but I wouldn't guarantee anything. Half of the first rounders are usually good so my guess is one of the first two picked next year will be a bust. NE turned a 6th round QB into the best QB ever and a third stringer from USC into a QB who won a division for KC last year after winning a bunch of games in 1 year for NE after not starting since high school.

  7. #112

    Join Date
    Oct 07
    Location
    Anywhere and everywhere is the residence for Mr. Cats.
    Posts
    12,708

    Quote Originally Posted by SSC View Post
    To win the bet he doesn't have to be half the QB Luck is. Maybe you should be a scout in the NFL. You sure do know how good QB's that are still in college are going to be way down the road.

    Mallett has a huge arm and he'll be learning from the best. He'll be good imo, but I wouldn't guarantee anything. Half of the first rounders are usually good so my guess is one of the first two picked next year will be a bust. NE turned a 6th round QB into the best QB ever and a third stringer from USC into a QB who won a division for KC last year after winning a bunch of games in 1 year for NE after not starting since high school.
    SSC stop it. You did the same thing I did, only you're taking a stance against what the NFL scouts are actually saying. Maybe you should be the one who scouts for the Bengals. Mel Kiper, is that you?

  8. #113

    Join Date
    Jun 08
    Location
    Independence, KY
    Posts
    21,009

    Bengals got Whalen from Stanford he is a good receiver and should help on special teams.

  9. #114

    Join Date
    Jan 08
    Posts
    9,045

    Quote Originally Posted by CatsCatsCats View Post
    SSC stop it. You did the same thing I did, only you're taking a stance against what the NFL scouts are actually saying. Maybe you should be the one who scouts for the Bengals. Mel Kiper, is that you?
    You make a lot of guarantees.

  10. #115

    Join Date
    Oct 07
    Location
    Anywhere and everywhere is the residence for Mr. Cats.
    Posts
    12,708

    Quote Originally Posted by SSC View Post
    You make a lot of guarantees.
    You don't make alot of sense. Was there a point in there somewhere?

  11. #116

    Join Date
    Nov 08
    Location
    N. KY.
    Posts
    34,267

    Quote Originally Posted by SSC View Post
    If the Bengals play hard ball with Palmer after drafting a QB this high it's dumb. Palmer's play if they won't move him would be to return the day before the season starts. It looks like they're comftorable going with Dalton and not CP. Why not trade him ASAP to maximize his value?
    And that is a big time win for the Bengals. Palmer comes in game 1 and in 2-3 weeks he will be just fine and the Bengals will be doing great. That isn't a play for Palmer. All that does is get him a pay check and he doesn't care about that, right? I will say it again ... now that the Bengals have Dalton, Palmer has zero leverage. The Bengals can do what they want to do with him, when they want to do it.

    As to Dalton vs. Mallett, because of the Palmer situation, there is no doubt Dalton was the better choice this year for the Bengals. Dalton is the most seasoned QB in the draft so for a team who may have to throw their QB into the mix now, Dalton was the man to get.

    Also, on Mallett in general, every time I heard scouts talking about him, they talked about what a head case he is, how difficult he is to talk with, etc. so it isn't just because of an incident that they were concerned. Talent wise, he may be the second best QB in the draft but there is much more to it than just raw talent. And that is why the people who get paid for a living to do this let him slide so far into the draft.

  12. #117

    Join Date
    Jan 08
    Posts
    9,045

    Quote Originally Posted by CatsCatsCats View Post
    You don't make alot of sense. Was there a point in there somewhere?
    Do you not have comprehension skills? I give opinions. You make guarantees. I'll stick with my opinion that one of the first two qb's drafted next year will be a bust. You guarantee they won't and guarantee that J Palmer couldn't accidentally win 3 games and guarantee that Luck will be a super star. We'll see in the end. I don't understand why you just can't give opinions and not make guarantees and not call me out an say you'll be waiting for my answer. Sorry.

  13. #118

    Join Date
    Jan 08
    Posts
    9,045

    Quote Originally Posted by Voice of Reason View Post
    And that is a big time win for the Bengals. Palmer comes in game 1 and in 2-3 weeks he will be just fine and the Bengals will be doing great. That isn't a play for Palmer. All that does is get him a pay check and he doesn't care about that, right? I will say it again ... now that the Bengals have Dalton, Palmer has zero leverage. The Bengals can do what they want to do with him, when they want to do it.

    As to Dalton vs. Mallett, because of the Palmer situation, there is no doubt Dalton was the better choice this year for the Bengals. Dalton is the most seasoned QB in the draft so for a team who may have to throw their QB into the mix now, Dalton was the man to get.

    Also, on Mallett in general, every time I heard scouts talking about him, they talked about what a head case he is, how difficult he is to talk with, etc. so it isn't just because of an incident that they were concerned. Talent wise, he may be the second best QB in the draft but there is much more to it than just raw talent. And that is why the people who get paid for a living to do this let him slide so far into the draft.
    Agree to disagree on the leverage. To me $11.6 million guaranteed is more leverage than you think. It's cool if we disagree.

    If they drafted Dalton based on this upcoming year and not the next decade it was horrible. I don't dislike the Dalton pick at all. I just think it isn't as great as everyone is saying. I'm not sold that because Gruden thinks he's second best that means he is.

    Agreed. I'd rather take the second best talent, but I see why they stayed away.

  14. #119

    Join Date
    Oct 07
    Location
    Anywhere and everywhere is the residence for Mr. Cats.
    Posts
    12,708

    Quote Originally Posted by SSC View Post
    Do you not have comprehension skills? I give opinions. You make guarantees. I'll stick with my opinion that one of the first two qb's drafted next year will be a bust. You guarantee they won't and guarantee that J Palmer couldn't accidentally win 3 games and guarantee that Luck will be a super star. We'll see in the end. I don't understand why you just can't give opinions and not make guarantees and not call me out an say you'll be waiting for my answer. Sorry.
    Nevermind, I'll send that in a PM. Don't want to get banned.

  15. #120

    Join Date
    Jan 08
    Posts
    9,045

    Quote Originally Posted by CatsCatsCats View Post
    By giving a guarantee is that not giving an opinion? Sorry if the wording of that confuses you, I'll remember to post at a 5th grade level if need be. I would hate to think anyone on here would actually take a guarantee from a college student seriously. Next time I'll say "I strongly believe", is that better your highness?

    You're one of the biggest hypocrites on this site. You call out Bengals ownership and act like everyone is stupid for wanting Dalton over Mallett, but when people question that idea it's just crazy to you. The fact that Mallett fell and entire round after Dalton shows that NFL personel doesn't value Mallett that high. I could go on and on.
    Cool. I'm done with you. Every time I disagree with you you call me names and say you're in college. You win. All your guarantees are gold. I am of the opinion that guarantess and calling people out are different than giving opinions. No biggie.

Top