Question about Larry Bird

Page 3 of Originally Posted by Jim Schue Watch James Worthy's first step explosiveness a little more closely -- nobody in today's game could stop that. You may h... 117 comments | 3101 Views | Go to page 1 →

  1. #31
    PurplePride92's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 06
    Location
    If I was you I wouldn't like me either. #Views #justdoit
    Posts
    89,887

    Larry is one of a kind. Like MJ. Like Magic. We will never see anyone like those 3. Only people trying to emulate those 3. LeBron has the tools to join those 4 on my personal Mt. Rushmore of NBA players in my lifetime. He just needs at least 3 rings.. Those 4 are all one of kind players. Never to be seen again.
    Advertisement

  2. #32

    Join Date
    Oct 07
    Location
    Anywhere and everywhere is the residence for Mr. Cats.
    Posts
    12,708

    Quote Originally Posted by PurplePride92 View Post
    Larry is one of a kind. Like MJ. Like Magic. We will never see anyone like those 3. Only people trying to emulate those 3. LeBron has the tools to join those 4 on my personal Mt. Rushmore of NBA players in my lifetime. He just needs at least 3 rings.. Those 4 are all one of kind players. Never to be seen again.
    I agree but I would add a few more to it. There will never be another Wilt nor Shaq IMO. Those two had gifts big men just are not blessed with. Along with the four you mentioned and the two I did, I would add Kobe in there as well. Kobe would be the easiest to replicate I think because his game is more about hard work, determination, and a hate for losing but I guess that would be done. He's a lesser Jordan I guess, but still deserves mention. Bias aside, as of right now I put Kobe in my top 3 players of all time along with MJ and Wilt.

  3. #33

    Join Date
    Dec 07
    Location
    "In God we trust- everyone else, keep your hands where I can see 'em!"
    Posts
    4,702

    Quote Originally Posted by CatsCatsCats View Post
    I see alot of Bird in LeBron's game. There are obvious differences, LBJ is a freak athlete, Bird is maybe the best pure shooter of all-time. But the instinctual part of their games is very similar. Bird was hindered by his athletic abilities, LeBron is not a real fundamental defensive player, but they both get the job done especially in the passing lanes. And at the forward position I think they are two of, if not the two best passers of all-time.

    I don't really think there is a close comparison to Bird in the NBA right now. Dirk is tall and can shoot, but he doesn't have the complete game Bird had. Melo can get his shot off in a similar way to Bird, but he doesn't play defense and isn't the playmaker Bird was. Durant is tall and that is about as far as that comparison goes IMO.
    Normally agree with you, Cats- not here. LeBron is not Larry- they play totally different, IMO. Even how they create- yes they are both good passers, but James is a penetrate and kick type of creator and Bird would create from the post and wings predominantely. I mean, a comparison with Bird has to start with shooting stroke, IMO. I do not see a ton of Bird in James.

    Dirk, Carmelo and Durant all create their scoring from the perimeter first and can use their shot to initiate their offense from multiple spots on the floor. That was the Larry Bird I remember seeing. Plus, they all can shoot- if you can not consistently knock down the jumper from all over the floor, you can not compare your game with Bird's, IMO.

    I will concede this since I have not yet posted this, there is not a great comparison for Larry in today's NBA. He was a very unique type of player. Maybe even this current version of Kobe Bryant would be the closest thing to Larry.

    All this being said, I think there was an interview where Bird said James is the player that reminds him of himself the most in today's NBA. Go figure!

  4. #34

    Join Date
    Dec 07
    Location
    "In God we trust- everyone else, keep your hands where I can see 'em!"
    Posts
    4,702

    Delete- repeat post

  5. #35

    Join Date
    Oct 07
    Location
    Anywhere and everywhere is the residence for Mr. Cats.
    Posts
    12,708

    Quote Originally Posted by born2reign View Post
    Normally agree with you, Cats- not here. LeBron is not Larry- they play totally different, IMO. Even how they create- yes they are both good passers, but James is a penetrate and kick type of creator and Bird would create from the post and wings predominantely. I mean, a comparison with Bird has to start with shooting stroke, IMO. I do not see a ton of Bird in James.

    Dirk, Carmelo and Durant all create their scoring from the perimeter first and can use their shot to initiate their offense from multiple spots on the floor. That was the Larry Bird I remember seeing. Plus, they all can shoot- if you can not consistently knock down the jumper from all over the floor, you can not compare your game with Bird's, IMO.

    I will concede this since I have not yet posted this, there is not a great comparison for Larry in today's NBA. He was a very unique type of player. Maybe even this current version of Kobe Bryant would be the closest thing to Larry.

    All this being said, I think there was an interview where Bird said James is the player that reminds him of himself the most in today's NBA. Go figure!
    I think they're not a pefect match, but I think they're similar in their gifts of instinct and basketball savvy. LeBron is dumb about somethings he does on the floor, but I think his instincts are among the best in the game. They're physical attributes and abilities change how they play and make their games seem more different than they are IMO. I think LeBron will look more like Bird (other than shooting) in a few years when he's not the 2nd most athletic person in the game behind Blake Grifin.

  6. #36
    PurplePride92's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 06
    Location
    If I was you I wouldn't like me either. #Views #justdoit
    Posts
    89,887

    Quote Originally Posted by CatsCatsCats View Post
    I agree but I would add a few more to it. There will never be another Wilt nor Shaq IMO. Those two had gifts big men just are not blessed with. Along with the four you mentioned and the two I did, I would add Kobe in there as well. Kobe would be the easiest to replicate I think because his game is more about hard work, determination, and a hate for losing but I guess that would be done. He's a lesser Jordan I guess, but still deserves mention. Bias aside, as of right now I put Kobe in my top 3 players of all time along with MJ and Wilt.

    Have to love the irony. I have LeBron in my top 4 and you have Kobe in your top 3.

    Mine is of my lifetime though. No disrespect to Wilt and Russell, I just put the guys I have seen on my Mt. Rushmore.

    Shaq was dominating for sure and likely the most dominating force I have witnessed but I do think Hakeem Olajuwan is the most complete center I watched. Kareem Abdul Jabbar also. Those 3 are easily the best 3 centers I have seen. I guess my Mt. Rushmore should have 5 starters so I'll add Kareem in pencil.

  7. #37
    PurplePride92's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 06
    Location
    If I was you I wouldn't like me either. #Views #justdoit
    Posts
    89,887

    Quote Originally Posted by born2reign View Post
    Normally agree with you, Cats- not here. LeBron is not Larry- they play totally different, IMO. Even how they create- yes they are both good passers, but James is a penetrate and kick type of creator and Bird would create from the post and wings predominantely. I mean, a comparison with Bird has to start with shooting stroke, IMO. I do not see a ton of Bird in James.

    Dirk, Carmelo and Durant all create their scoring from the perimeter first and can use their shot to initiate their offense from multiple spots on the floor. That was the Larry Bird I remember seeing. Plus, they all can shoot- if you can not consistently knock down the jumper from all over the floor, you can not compare your game with Bird's, IMO.

    I will concede this since I have not yet posted this, there is not a great comparison for Larry in today's NBA. He was a very unique type of player. Maybe even this current version of Kobe Bryant would be the closest thing to Larry.

    All this being said, I think there was an interview where Bird said James is the player that reminds him of himself the most in today's NBA. Go figure!

    I think Kobe very well could be the closest to Bird.

    Bird + Kobe=MJ?

  8. #38

    Join Date
    Dec 07
    Location
    "In God we trust- everyone else, keep your hands where I can see 'em!"
    Posts
    4,702

    Quote Originally Posted by CatsCatsCats View Post
    I think they're not a pefect match, but I think they're similar in their gifts of instinct and basketball savvy. LeBron is dumb about somethings he does on the floor, but I think his instincts are among the best in the game. They're physical attributes and abilities change how they play and make their games seem more different than they are IMO. I think LeBron will look more like Bird (other than shooting) in a few years when he's not the 2nd most athletic person in the game behind Blake Grifin.
    I agree with you that James does some things that are not smart basketball. Bird's IQ was significantly higher than James', IMO.

    What you say James may develop into is what I think Kobe may be now. That is why I threw that out there in my last post. Kobe still looks to score first in most situations; I always felt that Bird looked to make the best play first.

  9. #39

    Join Date
    Dec 07
    Location
    "In God we trust- everyone else, keep your hands where I can see 'em!"
    Posts
    4,702

    Quote Originally Posted by PurplePride92 View Post
    I think Kobe very well could be the closest to Bird.

    Bird + Kobe=MJ?
    I like Kobe over Bird, all time. Kobe and Mike are very close on my list of greatest ever.

  10. #40
    The Professor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 04
    Location
    Sag Hollow
    Posts
    21,810

    Quote Originally Posted by gold sunrise View Post
    Professor, you and I are about the same age, so we have seen alot of the "older" players..... Yes IMO he would do very well in the NBA today.


    I think Bird would start for any team in the NBA.

    Maybe I'm living in the past too much but I think an NBA All Star team from pre-1990 would match up pretty well with any All Star team in the past 20 years. Kareem, Oscar Robertson, Bill Russell, Magic, Wilt, Larry Bird, Jordan, Pistol Pete, etc...had plenty of game. They might have to adapt to today's style but I'm sure they were talented enough to do it.

  11. #41

    Join Date
    May 01
    Location
    KY:)
    Posts
    18,096

    It shouldn't be lost that Larry would be a better athlete now then he was back then because the training is better. I also will never forget I had the Come Fly With Me video of MJ. He said Bird was hands down the dirtiest player he ever played. Sneaky good at grabbing jerseys etc.

  12. #42
    PurplePride92's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 06
    Location
    If I was you I wouldn't like me either. #Views #justdoit
    Posts
    89,887

    So does this mean I can say I think Kobe is one of the top 5 players of all time and I won't be accused of bias since he is my all time favorite player?

  13. #43

    Join Date
    Oct 07
    Location
    Anywhere and everywhere is the residence for Mr. Cats.
    Posts
    12,708

    Quote Originally Posted by PurplePride92 View Post
    Have to love the irony. I have LeBron in my top 4 and you have Kobe in your top 3.

    Mine is of my lifetime though. No disrespect to Wilt and Russell, I just put the guys I have seen on my Mt. Rushmore.

    Shaq was dominating for sure and likely the most dominating force I have witnessed but I do think Hakeem Olajuwan is the most complete center I watched. Kareem Abdul Jabbar also. Those 3 are easily the best 3 centers I have seen. I guess my Mt. Rushmore should have 5 starters so I'll add Kareem in pencil.
    Quite ironic .
    To me, I think people are lying to themselves if they don't put Kobe up there with the Wilts, Russells, Magics, and Birds of the world.

    If there was an all-time fantasy draft where teams were picking guys to have for an entire career, Kobe would have to be a top 5-7 pick IMO.

    Quote Originally Posted by born2reign View Post
    I agree with you that James does some things that are not smart basketball. Bird's IQ was significantly higher than James', IMO.

    What you say James may develop into is what I think Kobe may be now. That is why I threw that out there in my last post. Kobe still looks to score first in most situations; I always felt that Bird looked to make the best play first.
    I think Kobe does have some Magic in his game, but Kobe is too selfish for me to really compare him to Bird. Which I think is sort of along the lines of what you said. At times I think Kobe would rather take the game winner and miss than pass it and win. And he loves winning.

    Quote Originally Posted by The Professor View Post


    I think Bird would start for any team in the NBA.

    Maybe I'm living in the past too much but I think an NBA All Star team from pre-1990 would match up pretty well with any All Star team in the past 20 years. Kareem, Oscar Robertson, Bill Russell, Magic, Wilt, Larry Bird, Jordan, Pistol Pete, etc...had plenty of game. They might have to adapt to today's style but I'm sure they were talented enough to do it.
    I agree. I do think this is going to be remembered as a golden age for the NBA though. I don't think there has ever been as much talent in the league at one time. Duncan, Shaq, Kobe, and maybe LeBron have, will have, or could have cases to be top 10-15 guys all-time. Alot of people say Durant can though I don't personally see it.

    Look at how much talent is at the PG position for this era. Kidd is an all-timer as is Nash. Rose is breaking the mold for PG play. CP3, DWill and Rondo are crazy good. Wall looks like a keeper, and Westbrook gets better every game. And two finals MVPs with solid careers end up missing the all-star team most years in Tony Parker and Chauncey Billups.

    Then you have guys like Garnett (has to be a top 25 guy IMO), one of the best shooters of all-time in Allen, Pierce, Melo, DWade, Dwight Howard, Dirk, Gasol. TMac & Allen Iverson were great in their primes. The era no one paid attention to was quitely the most talented era in NBA history IMO. Everyone I mentioned has either is a Hall of Famer, could be or will have an interesting case with the exception that it may be tough for TMac and I don't think Parker & Billups get in.

  14. #44
    PurplePride92's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 06
    Location
    If I was you I wouldn't like me either. #Views #justdoit
    Posts
    89,887

    Quote Originally Posted by stick1 View Post
    It shouldn't be lost that Larry would be a better athlete now then he was back then because the training is better. I also will never forget I had the Come Fly With Me video of MJ. He said Bird was hands down the dirtiest player he ever played. Sneaky good at grabbing jerseys etc.
    That is a good point. He worked hard enough for me to believe that he wouldn't be far from having better athleticism than he would get credit for.

  15. #45

    Join Date
    Oct 07
    Location
    Anywhere and everywhere is the residence for Mr. Cats.
    Posts
    12,708

    Quote Originally Posted by PurplePride92 View Post
    So does this mean I can say I think Kobe is one of the top 5 players of all time and I won't be accused of bias since he is my all time favorite player?
    I don't see how there is a case that he wouldn't at least be considered for the top 5. But, your better than Jordan argument is still crazy IMO , but I don't blame you.

Top