Manny Ramirez to Retire....

  1. #1
    HammerTime's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 05
    Location
    "Most great people have attained their greatest success just one step beyond their greatest failure." - Napoleon Hill
    Posts
    72,259

    Manny Ramirez to Retire....

    http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=6310125


    Tampa Bay Rays designated hitter Manny Ramirez is retiring.

    Major League Baseball announced the move in a statement on Friday.

    "Major League Baseball recently notified Manny Ramirez of an issue under Major League Baseball's Joint Drug Prevention and Treatment Program," the statement said. "Rather than continue with the process under the Program, Ramirez has informed MLB that he is retiring as an active player. If Ramirez seeks reinstatement in the future, the process under the Drug Program will be completed. MLB will not have any further comment on this matter."


    Just Man Ram being Man Ram. Get caught juicing a 2nd time probably and just decides to give it up.
    Advertisement

  2. #2

    Join Date
    Jan 04
    Location
    pikeville
    Posts
    13,078

    That sucks, I was hoping Manny would have a good year with the Rays and get them past the Sox and Yanks. Would have been good stuff.

  3. #3

    Join Date
    May 08
    Posts
    91,216

    Pregnant?

  4. #4
    oldrambler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 06
    Location
    I'm ftom the Other Side of the Tracks ....where your momma warned you about.
    Posts
    38,979

    He would have had to sit out sit out this season I believe. For him to lose another season at this point in his carrer I guess that he decided not to put in the work when he didn't know who or if anyone would take him. Just another sad story in that he was one of the best rh hitters that I have seen. Great ball payer, great talent wasted. His Manny being Mnny act had gotten way past old and there are probably not many that care.

  5. #5

    Join Date
    Aug 01
    Location
    The last "big town" before you leave Kentucky ...
    Posts
    22,986

    Manny finished with a .312 lifetime average and 555 home runs ... that's hardly a "great talent wasted." Despite the personal quirks and/or whatever else, the guy certainly produced at the plate.

  6. #6
    bugatti's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 02
    Location
    You can keep going and your legs might hurt for a week or you can quit and your mind will hurt for a lifetime. - Mark Allen
    Posts
    42,945

    Quote Originally Posted by oldrambler View Post
    He would have had to sit out sit out this season I believe. For him to lose another season at this point in his carrer I guess that he decided not to put in the work when he didn't know who or if anyone would take him. Just another sad story in that he was one of the best rh hitters that I have seen. Great ball payer, great talent wasted. His Manny being Mnny act had gotten way past old and there are probably not many that care.
    I think it would be 100 games he would be suspended.

  7. #7
    oldrambler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 06
    Location
    I'm ftom the Other Side of the Tracks ....where your momma warned you about.
    Posts
    38,979

    Quote Originally Posted by westsider View Post
    Manny finished with a .312 lifetime average and 555 home runs ... that's hardly a "great talent wasted." Despite the personal quirks and/or whatever else, the guy certainly produced at the plate.
    Should you be talking about me then I certainly agree that he was a great hitter and I said that, specifically.." that he was one of the best rh hitters that I have seen" and I absolutely meant that. I along with anyone could look up the numbers but I didn't need to. What I meant and thought anyone would understand by "great talent wasted" was that w/o the juicing and all of the Manny being Manny routine, basically disrespecting his team,manager and teammates along with the game itself he could have imo put up even greater numbers/played for a longer period of time. Being a Yankee fan in the american league I feared Boston's 3-4 lineup of Manny and Ortiz. The BoSox finally got sick of him and instead of 25mil per season he signs for something like 2.5 bc of his decline, no one wanted all the drama that came with him.
    I hope that you are not trying to make something out of what is not there.

  8. #8
    oldrambler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 06
    Location
    I'm ftom the Other Side of the Tracks ....where your momma warned you about.
    Posts
    38,979

    Quote Originally Posted by bugatti View Post
    I think it would be 100 games he would be suspended.
    O.K., I knew it was a long suspension, he could have came back late in this season then.

  9. #9

    Join Date
    Aug 01
    Location
    The last "big town" before you leave Kentucky ...
    Posts
    22,986

    Quote Originally Posted by oldrambler View Post
    Should you be talking about me then I certainly agree that he was a great hitter and I said that, specifically.." that he was one of the best rh hitters that I have seen" and I absolutely meant that. I along with anyone could look up the numbers but I didn't need to. What I meant and thought anyone would understand by "great talent wasted" was that w/o the juicing and all of the Manny being Manny routine, basically disrespecting his team,manager and teammates along with the game itself he could have imo put up even greater numbers/played for a longer perod of time. Being a Yankee fan in the american league I feared Boston's 3-4 lineup of Manny and Ortiz. The BoSox finally got sick of him and instead of 25mil per season he signs for something like 2.5 bc no one wanted all the drama that came with him.
    I hope that you are not trying to make something out of what is not there.
    How was he going to play longer? Manny is 38 years old, not getting any younger and nothing he can do is going to be able to extend his career.

    If anything, he was juicing in an effort to perform better and help his team win more games. People can talk all they want to about "disrespecting the game" by juicing, but he was simply a player trying to get an edge.

  10. #10
    oldrambler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 06
    Location
    I'm ftom the Other Side of the Tracks ....where your momma warned you about.
    Posts
    38,979

    Quote Originally Posted by westsider View Post
    How was he going to play longer? Manny is 38 years old, not getting any younger and nothing he can do is going to be able to extend his career.

    If anything, he was juicing in an effort to perform better and help his team win more games. People can talk all they want to about "disrespecting the game" by juicing, but he was simply a player trying to get an edge.
    I didn't know that you were Mannys personal manager (jk) and I thought juicing was still illegal in MLB and that is disrespect regardless of the reason one does it.
    Again, disrespecting the game is more than the juicing, it imo also means the other crap, the hair (refusing to cut it in L.A .for Torre, and I blame Torre for not sitting him on that), all of the antics in Boston,etc.,etc.. I don't know how I could say it any clearer, read and take all of the post to understand its meaning, not just some of them.

  11. #11

    Join Date
    Aug 01
    Location
    The last "big town" before you leave Kentucky ...
    Posts
    22,986

    I'm not clearing him of his antics ... but there is no doubt that the guy produced on the field. That's far from "wasted talent" and far from disrespecting the game.

  12. #12

    Join Date
    May 08
    Posts
    91,216

    One more guy we'll never see in the HOF.

  13. #13
    HammerTime's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 05
    Location
    "Most great people have attained their greatest success just one step beyond their greatest failure." - Napoleon Hill
    Posts
    72,259

    Quote Originally Posted by westsider View Post
    I'm not clearing him of his antics ... but there is no doubt that the guy produced on the field. That's far from "wasted talent" and far from disrespecting the game.
    Not 1 but 2 failed drug tests really taint what he produced for me.

  14. #14

    Join Date
    Feb 10
    Location
    a contest
    Posts
    3,931

    Quote Originally Posted by HammerTime View Post
    Not 1 but 2 failed drug tests really taint what he produced for me.
    Agreed!!

  15. #15
    oldrambler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 06
    Location
    I'm ftom the Other Side of the Tracks ....where your momma warned you about.
    Posts
    38,979

    Quote Originally Posted by HammerTime View Post
    Not 1 but 2 failed drug tests really taint what he produced for me.
    That proved that Manny was arrogant with no respect for the rules or authority, was really stupid or both.

Top