Manny Ramirez to Retire....

Page 2 of http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=6310125 Tampa Bay Rays designated hitter Manny Ramirez is retiring. Major League Baseball announced the mov... 23 comments | 655 Views | Go to page 1 →

  1. #16
    UKMustangFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 05
    Location
    Family of 4, coming January 2019...
    Posts
    64,285

    Manny played for love of the game. He didn't care about money, didn't care about the fame, etc. Why he decided to take PED's, who knows, but I'd assume it was to get an edge. This whole "disrespecting the game" argument is off-base. It's impossible for anyone to disrespect the game, when you have a commissioner who knew what was going on, and didn't do anything about it for the almighty $.
    Advertisement

  2. #17
    HammerTime's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 05
    Location
    "Most great people have attained their greatest success just one step beyond their greatest failure." - Napoleon Hill
    Posts
    72,259

    Quote Originally Posted by UKMustangFan View Post
    Manny played for love of the game. He didn't care about money, didn't care about the fame, etc. Why he decided to take PED's, who knows, but I'd assume it was to get an edge. This whole "disrespecting the game" argument is off-base. It's impossible for anyone to disrespect the game, when you have a commissioner who knew what was going on, and didn't do anything about it for the almighty $.
    I don't believe that for 1 second.

  3. #18
    UKMustangFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 05
    Location
    Family of 4, coming January 2019...
    Posts
    64,285

    Quote Originally Posted by HammerTime View Post
    I don't believe that for 1 second.
    You haven't heard the stories of Manny not cashing his checks? The guy would have months worth of uncashed paychecks piled up in his locker. He loves baseball, period. He was quirky and goofy, but unlike most (those who care about the fame), he was always himself. You can't say that about very many pro athletes today.

  4. #19
    HammerTime's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 05
    Location
    "Most great people have attained their greatest success just one step beyond their greatest failure." - Napoleon Hill
    Posts
    72,259

    Quote Originally Posted by UKMustangFan View Post
    You haven't heard the stories of Manny not cashing his checks? The guy would have months worth of uncashed paychecks piled up in his locker. He loves baseball, period. He was quirky and goofy, but unlike most (those who care about the fame), he was always himself. You can't say that about very many pro athletes today.
    That's just because he is an idiot, he was himself you are right about that. No one that "loves baseball" like you say would play the game the way he did.

  5. #20
    UKMustangFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 05
    Location
    Family of 4, coming January 2019...
    Posts
    64,285

    Quote Originally Posted by HammerTime View Post
    That's just because he is an idiot, he was himself you are right about that. No one that "loves baseball" like you say would play the game the way he did.
    How's that? Spraying the ball everywhere, being a guarantee for .300/30/100 every single year? He was goofy, but he prepared himself better and worked harder on his game than almost anyone.

  6. #21
    Jim Schue's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 03
    Location
    Let me tell you something about hard times, brother!!!!
    Posts
    54,238

    Quote Originally Posted by Clyde View Post
    One more guy we'll never see in the HOF.
    Which is too bad, because he was one of the most electrifying players in the clutch, ever.

  7. #22

    Join Date
    Dec 01
    Location
    Freedom is NORML!
    Posts
    27,396

    Quote Originally Posted by Clyde View Post
    One more guy we'll never see in the HOF.
    I agree. The voters have made it clear that anyone remotely associated with PED's will not get in. Which is a shame...it's hard to call the HOF complete without one of the best hitters the game has ever witnessed.

  8. #23

    Join Date
    Dec 01
    Location
    Freedom is NORML!
    Posts
    27,396

    Quote Originally Posted by HammerTime View Post
    That's just because he is an idiot, he was himself you are right about that. No one that "loves baseball" like you say would play the game the way he did.
    Play the game how? Show up early every day? Takes extra batting practice? Constantly in the gym lifting weights?

    Sounds like someone who didn't love the game....

  9. #24

    Join Date
    Dec 01
    Location
    Freedom is NORML!
    Posts
    27,396

    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Schue View Post
    Which is too bad, because he was one of the most electrifying players in the clutch, ever.
    I DESPISE the BoSox and I couldn't agree more. Manny defined clutch.

Top