Major League Baseball's 2020 Season to begin July 1-4

  1. #1
    Colonels_Wear_Blue's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 09
    Location
    Colonel Country
    Posts
    45,721

    Major League Baseball's 2020 Season to begin July 1-4

    Per a USA Today's Bob Nightengale. It will be an 82 game season, and will begin without fans in the stands.
    Advertisement

  2. #2
    Colonels_Wear_Blue's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 09
    Location
    Colonel Country
    Posts
    45,721

    The Dayton Daily News gave a good summary of the major points of the plan agreed upon by the MLB owners today.

    Some of the points include 50/50 revenue sharing between owners and players, cancellation of the 2020 All-Star Game, a second "spring training" in June, an option to play official 2020 season games at spring training facilities if the teams are not permitted legally to play at their regular home stadium, an extra round added to the post-season, and active rosters expanded from 26 to 30 players.

    Also, leagues/divisions won't change, but teams will only play in their own division and teams in the like-named division from the other league. So the Reds, in the NL Central, will only play games against other NL Central teams and the AL Central teams.

  3. #3
    CincySportsFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 08
    Posts
    8,228

    Quote Originally Posted by Colonels_Wear_Blue View Post
    Also, leagues/divisions won't change, but teams will only play in their own division and teams in the like-named division from the other league. So the Reds, in the NL Central, will only play games against other NL Central teams and the AL Central teams.
    I'll take that. I'd rather face the Twins, Indians and White Sox than the Dodgers, Braves, and Nationals. Of course it means the Brewers and Cards get that advantage too. But, still.

  4. #4
    nkypete's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 09
    Location
    Taylor Mill, KY
    Posts
    7,859

    What are the chances that the players will not approve this?

  5. #5
    CincySportsFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 08
    Posts
    8,228

    Quote Originally Posted by nkypete View Post
    What are the chances that the players will not approve this?
    It'll all come down to what it usually comes down to...money. Personally, as an owner, I'd say this...I'll give you credit for a full year's worth of service, but we pro-rate your salary on 82 games. Any playoff bonuses are still valid.

  6. #6
    MJAlltheWay24's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 03
    Location
    Alexandria, KY
    Posts
    54,755

    Quote Originally Posted by CincySportsFan View Post
    It'll all come down to what it usually comes down to...money. Personally, as an owner, I'd say this...I'll give you credit for a full year's worth of service, but we pro-rate your salary on 82 games. Any playoff bonuses are still valid.
    Do you think the player's association will agree to give money back and play for less? Haven't player's already gotten their salaries for April & May?

    I think it's going to be pretty interesting how all of that plays out. I think I saw yesterday that like 40% of player's salaries come from the gates/ticket sales.

  7. #7
    gchs_uk9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 02
    Posts
    22,641

    Even with some semblance of spring training itís hard to think players (especially pitchers) will be ready. Iíve heard all along there could be expanded rosters. It doesnít appear there will be Minor League Baseball this season. Do the teams do some type of extended spring training for those MiLB guys just to have a collection of players ready for call up if players are injured (possible with weird preseason) or infected with Covid?

  8. #8
    CincySportsFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 08
    Posts
    8,228

    The biggest problem baseball is going to have (and I wish that I was joking about this)...is the spitting. Whether it's sunflower seeds in the dugout, or just saliva when they're in the batter's box...there's a lot of spitting going on. As a catcher or umpire, I can't image you'll just be fine with guys hawking loogies out in front of the plate for 9 innings.

  9. #9
    gametime's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 02
    Location
    Big O > Every Wildcat Ever
    Posts
    88,603

    Quote Originally Posted by gchs_uk9 View Post
    Even with some semblance of spring training it’s hard to think players (especially pitchers) will be ready. I’ve heard all along there could be expanded rosters. It doesn’t appear there will be Minor League Baseball this season. Do the teams do some type of extended spring training for those MiLB guys just to have a collection of players ready for call up if players are injured (possible with weird preseason) or infected with Covid?
    I’ve seen rosters potentially being expanded to 45-50 players. Sounds insanely large to me, but that’s what is being discussed.

  10. #10
    gchs_uk9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 02
    Posts
    22,641

    Quote Originally Posted by CincySportsFan View Post
    The biggest problem baseball is going to have (and I wish that I was joking about this)...is the spitting. Whether it's sunflower seeds in the dugout, or just saliva when they're in the batter's box...there's a lot of spitting going on. As a catcher or umpire, I can't image you'll just be fine with guys hawking loogies out in front of the plate for 9 innings.
    I was watching one of the Korean League games the other day and they mentioned how spitting had been banned. I’d assume MLB would implement something similar but it seems hard to police.

  11. #11
    gchs_uk9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 02
    Posts
    22,641

    Quote Originally Posted by gametime View Post
    I’ve seen rosters potentially being expanded to 45-50 players. Sounds insanely large to me, but that’s what is being discussed.
    I know they were talking about players sitting in the bleachers. I’m with you - 45 to 50 is a huge number. Almost untenable unless you did some type of active/inactive thing like the NBA.

  12. #12
    nkypete's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 09
    Location
    Taylor Mill, KY
    Posts
    7,859

    I could see the vote being very tight. Younger players wanting paychecks saying yes. Older players with big reserves saying no due to the health issues.

  13. #13
    John Anthony's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 07
    Posts
    24,815

    Players have been very resistant so far, it’s gonna be close. Whole thing makes me nervous with the CBA expiring in 2021.

  14. #14
    gchs_uk9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 02
    Posts
    22,641

    Quote Originally Posted by John Anthony View Post
    Players have been very resistant so far, it’s gonna be close. Whole thing makes me nervous with the CBA expiring in 2021.
    I can see the players agreeing here in exchange for concessions in the next CBA. You can guarantee anything that happens this season is part of a longer term plan.

  15. #15
    Jumper_Dad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 06
    Location
    To one who has faith, no explanation is necessary. To one without faith, no explanation is possible
    Posts
    51,320

    I've never been more ready for a season in my life.

Top