Walton Verona's Coach Miller resigns

Page 2 of He told the girls today that he would be resigning from his position of head coach. Advertisement Apr 14, 11, 09:35 PM #2 SSC View Profile View Fo... 34 comments | 2492 Views | Go to page 1 →

  1. #16

    Join Date
    Dec 06
    Posts
    250

    Quote Originally Posted by Time and Score View Post
    This is a hugh blow to the WV program. Coach Miller was a very class act and represented Walton well. Clyde, you are correct there are a few who have been very over the top about Coach Miller and they will be the same ones that won't like the next coach either. I don't know if what happens on a message board will scare any applicants off. Walton's administration will make a very good choice in the next coach. They got burnt 5 years ago, but made a very good hire in Coach Miller 3 years ago. Most of the same players will be involved in the new search. I doubt the Walton job will generate much interest in top flight coaches of bigger schools. If you are qualified, but let the pressure of winning or chatter on a message board bother you then you probably shouldn't apply. If someone wants to compete for a regional championship and grow a program over the next few years then Walton could be a very good place.
    Well said sometimes we see the few and let it unfairly represent the majority of fans. I am sure Walton has its fair share of knowledgeable fans. Fact is that never will all parents and fans agree with any coach that is just part of it and with the internet age message board chatter is also part of the culture today. Some may be scared off but WV still peaks the interest of many with the talent level returning from a region champioship and 8th region all a championship twice. On paper WV could be the favorite to win both the next two years. Also as you mentioned a very good location and chance to build a program.
    Advertisement

  2. #17

    Join Date
    Dec 07
    Posts
    4,231

    Quote Originally Posted by FarBeyondDriven View Post
    Maybe not, but in all fairness many a WV fans/parents on this board haven't been shy about offering their advice on how the WV girls program should be guided in recent years. Some of it legit and constructive, some of it quite absurd. I can assure you that a reputation like that could make some potential applicants a little leary, especially the ones that would be interested in more than just swooping in and enjoying the current talent level at WV and then skipping out when the talent pool dries up in a few years. Good luck to all involved. The best replacement would be the Asst Principal/Asst Coach.
    Without a doubt. There should be no discussion if they can make it work. However, being an administrator may be a problem. He would be the best choice but we will have to wait and see.

  3. #18

    Join Date
    Nov 09
    Location
    Alexandria, Kentucky
    Posts
    1,605

    Sorry to hear Cory is stepping down. He did a superb job

  4. #19

    Join Date
    May 08
    Posts
    91,216

    Quote Originally Posted by madman View Post
    Without a doubt. There should be no discussion if they can make it work. However, being an administrator may be a problem. He would be the best choice but we will have to wait and see.
    Zero and I mean ZERO chance the assistant principal gets the gig even if he gives up his admin job. I will be the next head coach before he is.

  5. #20

    Join Date
    Dec 07
    Posts
    4,231

    Quote Originally Posted by Clyde View Post
    Zero and I mean ZERO chance the assistant principal gets the gig even if he gives up his admin job. I will be the next head coach before he is.
    Why do you say this? I definately think Dan has a better chance than you and would be a better choice!!!! He knows the program and the girls respect him and would work their butts off for him. Sorry Clyde, you have no chance.

  6. #21

    Join Date
    May 08
    Posts
    91,216

    Quote Originally Posted by madman View Post
    Why do you say this? I definately think Dan has a better chance than you and would be a better choice!!!! He knows the program and the girls respect him and would work their butts off for him. Sorry Clyde, you have no chance.

    I should have been more clear. I should have added "through no fault of his own." Yes, he is clearly a better choice than me. I, though, will be the head coach at WV before he is. Too bad for WV.

  7. #22

    Join Date
    Dec 07
    Location
    somehere in Kentucky
    Posts
    805

    Quote Originally Posted by SUMRMAKESPLYRS View Post
    No one asked your Advice!!!!

    How true, no one did ask for it. Similarly, the past two coaches did not ask for any of the back-biting, back-stabbling second guessing that has been so abundantly provided by - hopefully - a few "fans" of the program. I just know that if a new coach moves to this program and uproots his/her family to do so, they need to know what they might be entering. And if you personally take offense to what was earlier stated, you, SUMR, may be with good reason to have sensiitive toes. Having said that, I sincerely hope that the KIDS at W-V have a great experience with a good coach who can keep the winning ways on track.

  8. #23

    Join Date
    May 10
    Posts
    566

    Quote Originally Posted by retropop View Post
    How true, no one did ask for it. Similarly, the past two coaches did not ask for any of the back-biting, back-stabbling second guessing that has been so abundantly provided by - hopefully - a few "fans" of the program. I just know that if a new coach moves to this program and uproots his/her family to do so, they need to know what they might be entering. And if you personally take offense to what was earlier stated, you, SUMR, may be with good reason to have sensiitive toes. Having said that, I sincerely hope that the KIDS at W-V have a great experience with a good coach who can keep the winning ways on track.[/COLOR]
    Ok let me set the record straight. I hear what your saying I really do. I'm just tired of hearing people run down the Walton fans because they are passionate about their school and their basketball program. I know there are some over the top and some things are absurd. However we live in Kentucky if you think their won't be second guessing of basketball coaches then you haven't lived here very long. The same things were said about coaches staying away from Walton before Trame and Miller were hired. Good coaches want to go to schools where there is passion for the program, but passion brings out the best and the worst in parents and fans. That's just the way it is.

  9. #24

    Join Date
    May 10
    Location
    Ward and Poplar
    Posts
    403

    I grow weary of people excusing obnoxious and immature behavior by abults and calling it passion. The WV fans got exactly what they wanted. They should finally be happy. They will find no one to replace coach Miller who will be as good as he was.

  10. #25

    Join Date
    Apr 09
    Posts
    888

    Passion = stupid comments and inappropriate behavior? If this were the case I know some people who need to be viewed as passionate instead of labled what they really are. Bottom line it is obvious that Coach Miller is taking a high road and is not really saying what has caused him to resign so all this is speculative. However........................I think it is safe to say that there have been some issues in that program that have caused problems for coaches. Time for the administration to look at what is going on and correct the problem instead of changing coaches.

  11. #26

    Join Date
    May 08
    Posts
    91,216

    I've been told my basis for my declaration that Mr. Sullivan had no chance to be the head coach is old and no longer true.

    I no longer have a better chance of being the head can than Mr. Sullivan.

  12. #27

    Join Date
    Jan 10
    Posts
    1,093

    Quote Originally Posted by TMC gunner View Post
    Very True! I would think that will keep many qualified coaches interest at bay
    Sounds like another situation where circumstances other than coaching affect the program. Happens all the time. You would think people would learn.

  13. #28

    Join Date
    May 10
    Posts
    566

    Quote Originally Posted by Khalid View Post
    I grow weary of people excusing obnoxious and immature behavior by abults and calling it passion. The WV fans got exactly what they wanted. They should finally be happy. They will find no one to replace coach Miller who will be as good as he was.
    Ahh... I see you and goahead feel very passionate about this situation and your making your comments heard. Interesting how that works?????

  14. #29

    Join Date
    Apr 09
    Posts
    888

    Quote Originally Posted by SUMRMAKESPLYRS View Post
    Ahh... I see you and goahead feel very passionate about this situation and your making your comments heard. Interesting how that works?????
    Ok first I have no "passion" for this situation. I just think Coach Miller is an excellent coach since his days at Holy Cross as an assistant coach. Now I will agree with Khalid on what seems to be transpiring at Walton.......................but you seem to very defensive of the Walton Verona group which if nothing had gone wrong would not need defending............................Yes there are some excellent people at Walton, however obviously something has not gone right.

  15. #30

    Join Date
    May 10
    Location
    Ward and Poplar
    Posts
    403

    There are some excellent people in Walton. I think I'd throw myself into that group . Unfortunately excellence comes with the burden of self-control so I am too spineless, I guess, to mouth off to the parents who so consistently misbehave in public.

Top