Whitley Co. 35 North Laurel 21

  1. #1

    Join Date
    Aug 07
    Posts
    5,618

    Whitley Co. 35 North Laurel 21

    I was pretty hard on Whitley this last week, but this win shows a vast improvement and to me means a lot to the team. Beating a fellow 5A team by 14 is a very significant win and shows Whitley is going in the direction they want to be going in. So good job Colonels.
    Advertisement

  2. #2

    Join Date
    Jan 06
    Location
    trapping gopher..gopher Everett???
    Posts
    750

    Whitley played well (not great) in this game, and showed a physicalness that Colonels fans had not seen in a while.

    The starting defense really only gave up on TD on a drive, while the other two came on a blocked FG attempt that was advanced into the end zone and they other when reserves (not all but mainly secondary) were in the game.

    Whitley still has some work to do as they continue to struggle on special teams (long KO return). Overall it was a nice effort, allowing less than 100 yard rushing, and forcing North Laurel to the air, which allowed Whitley to pin their ears back and go after North which was successful.

    Nice Game Colonels, Love the Black Uniforms, Good Luck to the Jags the rest of the season.

  3. #3
    sports_monster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 07
    Location
    London, KY
    Posts
    77

    Well, the game got a little to heated for me toward the end of the game. North fans basically calling for the refs heads by the end of the game. The North Laurel receivers beat Whitley county's secondary all night long but North either went to the run to much or the receivers would drop the passes, Whitley's run defense was awesome tonight though.

    The North defense didn't seem like the same D that I've seen the last couple weeks. They couldn't seem to figure out that when Whitley put in #24 Labanon that he was running the ball and when #3 came in it was going to be a pass. I know they figured it out by the second half and then still couldn't really stop it. The North offense still struggled they only scored two touchdowns the whole game, Tyler Pennington took the first touchdown in off of a blocked field goal. I think IMO Adrian needs to learn when to eat the ball and just run, both INTs he threw were questionable throws on his part, but other than that he had a good game tonight throwing the ball.

  4. #4
    4chs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 03
    Location
    Corbin/Whitley Co.
    Posts
    10,778

    Quote Originally Posted by Apex
    Whitley played well (not great) in this game, and showed a physicalness that Colonels fans had not seen in a while.

    The starting defense really only gave up on TD on a drive, while the other two came on a blocked FG attempt that was advanced into the end zone and they other when reserves (not all but mainly secondary) were in the game.

    Whitley still has some work to do as they continue to struggle on special teams (long KO return). Overall it was a nice effort, allowing less than 100 yard rushing, and forcing North Laurel to the air, which allowed Whitley to pin their ears back and go after North which was successful.

    Nice Game Colonels, Love the Black Uniforms, Good Luck to the Jags the rest of the season.
    A vital win for Whitley. If they can slow down the passing games of Letcher and Clay, they will win this district.

    Whitley will continue to improve and I look for them to be playing into the third round of the playoffs this year.

  5. #5

    Join Date
    Aug 07
    Posts
    5,618

    Quote Originally Posted by 4chs
    Whitley will continue to improve and I look for them to be playing into the third round of the playoffs this year.
    Of all the are teams I think Whitley, NL, and SL all benifited the most by the playoff format of playing your own district first. It was so tough b4 going up to play the Lexington 4A schools first round. With new playoff format they can build some momentum before playing the Lexington schools in the 3rd round.

  6. #6
    sports_monster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 07
    Location
    London, KY
    Posts
    77

    Quote Originally Posted by HT721
    Of all the are teams I think Whitley, NL, and SL all benifited the most by the playoff format of playing your own district first. It was so tough b4 going up to play the Lexington 4A schools first round. With new playoff format they can build some momentum before playing the Lexington schools in the 3rd round.

    I completely agree with you on that one.

  7. #7
    MountainThunder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 05
    Location
    A proud Grandpa!!!
    Posts
    12,406

    This was a big one for the Colonels and a bad loss for the Jags (district games are always big). NL now is in a more pressure packed game with LCC as they really need that win with who they have coming up after. Hopefully, Cornett will be back for North soon as he was the best WR they had last year, rarely if ever drops a ball and they need him to expand the offense. Coach Black has Whitley improving each week and noone should be surprised by that. Some young guys for the Jags are starting to step up and contribute more, and next week, they need to take another big step in the development as a team.

    I agree 110% that the new playoff system really benefits Whitley, NL and SL. A few years ago, North played a phenomenal game against Scott County, had the lead, and lost in the final minute. Had they played that kind of game against a district opponent that year instead of the eventual 4A state runner up, the Jags would have had their first playoff win in school history. Same goes for Whitley in that the year before last, they had to play Henry Clay their first game, and that was quite a task for any team in their district.

  8. #8
    Maverick85's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 06
    Posts
    52

    Congratulations to the Whitley County Colonels; what a fine historic program they maintain.
    Well gang, someone has to win, and someone has to lose. I have been and remain resolute that the North Laurel Jaguars are going to make it into the playoffs, and will even go deeper than expected at that level of play competition. I also expect the Jags to put the whole package together on the 21st, as they travel to Letcher County and face the Cougars on their home turf.
    The way I view it at this point, North has seen the possibilities, sized-up their options for both "O" and "D", allowed new and untested varsity players to have ownership in the team, find, evaluate, and correct any and all areas of execution difficulty perceived over the last four games, and are starting to show a mixed-bag of plays which has been, and will remain, unredictable to the opposition (truly different from last season).
    I am so thrilled with the boys of North Laurel. Athletes such as Tyler Pennington - what an amazingly talented and committed player. Others such as Ryan Brandengurg who is perhaps in on every pay, Shawn Nelson, Stephen White, Joey Rotunde, Adrian Wardrup, Denver Tyree, Aaron Fugate, Jacob Osborne - so many awesome young men, it is too difficult to name them all and specify their valued contribution to this team. Personally, I would love to see White carry the ball more, Smith and Lewis spot-played more often, and mix-up the backfield with Pennington, Jones, Wardrup, Brandenburg, etc., and execute some options available to confuse and surprise the opponent's "D".
    I do believe the coaching staff at North know their players, and plan what is best for positive yardage. I have total confidence in their decisions, because they are the ones on the sideline and want the victory so much for their kids. I do believe, each of these team brothers play hard and smart for each other.
    The Jags desire to play, and win, reminds me of the old saying: "A quitter never wins, and a winner never quits". Time to win!

  9. #9

    Join Date
    Oct 06
    Location
    SEKY
    Posts
    62

    Quote Originally Posted by sports_monster
    Well, the game got a little to heated for me toward the end of the game. North fans basically calling for the refs heads by the end of the game. The North Laurel receivers beat Whitley county's secondary all night long but North either went to the run to much or the receivers would drop the passes, Whitley's run defense was awesome tonight though.

    The North defense didn't seem like the same D that I've seen the last couple weeks. They couldn't seem to figure out that when Whitley put in #24 Labanon that he was running the ball and when #3 came in it was going to be a pass. I know they figured it out by the second half and then still couldn't really stop it. The North offense still struggled they only scored two touchdowns the whole game, Tyler Pennington took the first touchdown in off of a blocked field goal. I think IMO Adrian needs to learn when to eat the ball and just run, both INTs he threw were questionable throws on his part, but other than that he had a good game tonight throwing the ball.
    Totally agree with everything you said. I thought this was one of if not the worst officiated games I have ever watched. However, on a positive note, IMO NL's offense showed just a little bit of variance in their play calling All in all, great game, my hats off to the Jags way to hang in there and play til the last play.

  10. #10

    Join Date
    Apr 07
    Posts
    206

    I really dont know what game some of you watching. Whitley took control of the game the 2nd 1/2 and was trying to sub out until their Coach kept the 1st team in and on-side kicked and recovered. Black decided to go back to the 1st team Defense and the results were the same for the Jags, O points. Even after that Black went with his Freshmen Offense the last 5 minutes of the game to keep the score down. He could have kept the 1st team in and added at least 10 more points. Whitley was the one who faced the most adversity and overcame it, while I thought the Jags lost composure and focus. We can blame it on officiating all you want, but both sides were hindered by it. Whitley found a way to overcome it. I also thought Whitley surprised North with speed and quickness. Some one also mentioned how North mixed it up in the game, I believe they had 1 rushing attempt in the 2nd 1/2 not hard to figure out.

  11. #11

    Join Date
    Jan 06
    Location
    trapping gopher..gopher Everett???
    Posts
    750

    I think that the Colonels did a much better job scouting than the Jags did, or at least it looked that way. The Colonels seemed to know where every running play was going, and did a great job of keeping a very athletic Wardrup in check all evening.

    I was totally surprised that NL went away from any rushing offense at all in the second half, which allowed WC to gamble on defense and it caused all types of probelms for the Jags. Brandenburg had the ability to run the ball but they never gave him the chance to get some yards in the second half. Whitley young kids (late in the game) took it to the starting Jag defensive unit and although did not score, they hit and were as physical as the starting unit although not as polished, but there is time for those kids to get better. (The did look awfully polished on Monday when they beat the JV Jags)

    Whitley continues to improve and the bottom line Whitley made plays.

  12. #12

    Join Date
    Jan 06
    Location
    trapping gopher..gopher Everett???
    Posts
    750

    I almost forgot......

    Laurel County went 0-2 against Whitley County

    Corbin (WC) 33
    South Laurel (LC) 26


    Whitley County (WC) 35
    North Laurel (LC) 21


    Good jobs Colonels and Hounds..........

  13. #13

    Join Date
    Aug 07
    Posts
    5,618

    Quote Originally Posted by Apex
    I think that the Colonels did a much better job scouting than the Jags did, or at least it looked that way.
    One thing that would benifit that theory is coach Black is a defensive coach and knows his stuff on defense. With a struggling NL offense going against the mind of Coach Black, that played right in to Whitley's hand.

  14. #14

    Join Date
    Oct 06
    Location
    SEKY
    Posts
    62

    Quote Originally Posted by ST5
    I really dont know what game some of you watching. Whitley took control of the game the 2nd 1/2 and was trying to sub out until their Coach kept the 1st team in and on-side kicked and recovered. Black decided to go back to the 1st team Defense and the results were the same for the Jags, O points. Even after that Black went with his Freshmen Offense the last 5 minutes of the game to keep the score down. He could have kept the 1st team in and added at least 10 more points. Whitley was the one who faced the most adversity and overcame it, while I thought the Jags lost composure and focus. We can blame it on officiating all you want, but both sides were hindered by it. Whitley found a way to overcome it. I also thought Whitley surprised North with speed and quickness. Some one also mentioned how North mixed it up in the game, I believe they had 1 rushing attempt in the 2nd 1/2 not hard to figure out.
    I'm in no way trying to take anything from Whitley Co., there's always a little home cooking wherever you go. I also agree that in the 2nd half NL's play calling was easy to figure out, however I feel they did do a few things differently in the 1st half. NL has got to get past their offensive woes and the Jag defense of the first 3 weeks needs to return.
    I strongly disagree with your comment about NL losing composure and focus, those kids played their tails off the entire game.

    By the way, WAY TO GO UK WILDCATS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Congratulations Cats on the BIG win!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

  15. #15

    Join Date
    Sep 07
    Posts
    37

    Quote Originally Posted by downsouth
    I'm in no way trying to take anything from Whitley Co., there's always a little home cooking wherever you go. I also agree that in the 2nd half NL's play calling was easy to figure out, however I feel they did do a few things differently in the 1st half. NL has got to get past their offensive woes and the Jag defense of the first 3 weeks needs to return.
    I strongly disagree with your comment about NL losing composure and focus, those kids played their tails off the entire game.

    By the way, WAY TO GO UK WILDCATS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Congratulations Cats on the BIG win!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    Agree with you, IMO that was some goood home cooking.
    As for the Jags they just have to come together offensively. Too many dropped passes, some questionable decisions, and costly mistakes hurt them.
    IMO the defense wasn't what it has been but I think they'll be fine.

    Also wanted to say GO BIG BLUE!!! SENT THEM CARDINALS PACKING!!!!!!!

Top