Trinity vs Moeller (JV Game)

Page 2 of Anyone have any info on the JV game this morning?... 28 comments | 1206 Views | Go to page 1 →

  1. #16

    Join Date
    Aug 04
    Posts
    11,445

    Quote Originally Posted by rebsrule
    My bad. Boyle 32 Trinity 24
    Congrats to Boyle County. I'm sure the game benefitted both squads as their players embark on their development toward become good high players.
    Advertisement

  2. #17

    Join Date
    Aug 03
    Location
    Louisville
    Posts
    14,545

    For all who want to know.

    At Trinity if you are not a starter on varsity offense or defense and you are not a senior you play JV. It's that simple. JV games are meant as preparation games for varsity by giving game reps to players who may not otherwise get them. That means that juniors play JV.

  3. #18

    The system seems to work rather well.

  4. #19

    Join Date
    Dec 06
    Posts
    159

    Quote Originally Posted by All Tell
    For all who want to know.

    At Trinity if you are not a starter on varsity offense or defense and you are not a senior you play JV. It's that simple. JV games are meant as preparation games for varsity by giving game reps to players who may not otherwise get them. That means that juniors play JV.
    FYI - Trinity also includes all sophmores in the Varsity Photo - Because they are part of the Varsity team. There is not a separate JV photo. This year was the first in the Beatty era that the Sophmores were in different color jerseys. This was done because we have 131 players on the Varsity squad. Do all 131 play in Varsity games? Rarely! But they are part of the team. Playing Juniors in the JV games breaks no rules! Certain institutions choose to not play juniors -that is there choice. Trinity chooses too, and as mentioned, it seems to be working...

    Back to the thread - I am glad the Rocks won. Congrats!

  5. #20

    Join Date
    Aug 07
    Posts
    921

    Quote Originally Posted by 17 Time
    FYI - Trinity also includes all sophmores in the Varsity Photo - Because they are part of the Varsity team. There is not a separate JV photo. This year was the first in the Beatty era that the Sophmores were in different color jerseys. This was done because we have 131 players on the Varsity squad. Do all 131 play in Varsity games? Rarely! But they are part of the team. Playing Juniors in the JV games breaks no rules! Certain institutions choose to not play juniors -that is there choice. Trinity chooses too, and as mentioned, it seems to be working...

    Back to the thread - I am glad the Rocks won. Congrats!
    Easy big fella...nobody had criticized Trinity for playing juniors on JV or even remotely suggested they "broke rules". Someone merely asked the question, "Did Trinity play juniors in the JV game against Moeller." I personally think it's a good idea to get some juniors playing time if they're not getting a chance to play varsity.

  6. #21
    theguru's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 00
    Location
    Florence
    Posts
    155,969

    I think programs do what works for them. Trinity plays juniors on the JV and I strongly assume Moeller does not. I don't have any issue with it, I just want to be informed when I consider the final score of a contest like this, that is all.

    For the record, I thought some of Trinity's back ups looked like outright studs (warming up at the BG game).

  7. #22
    thsrocks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 01
    Posts
    3,507

    Quote Originally Posted by theguru
    I think programs do what works for them. Trinity plays juniors on the JV and I strongly assume Moeller does not. I don't have any issue with it, I just want to be informed when I consider the final score of a contest like this, that is all.

    For the record, I thought some of Trinity's back ups looked like outright studs (warming up at the BG game).
    the Trinity/Boyle game was 36-28

  8. #23

    Join Date
    May 05
    Posts
    682

    Quote Originally Posted by Park1221
    Easy big fella...nobody had criticized Trinity for playing juniors on JV or even remotely suggested they "broke rules". Someone merely asked the question, "Did Trinity play juniors in the JV game against Moeller." I personally think it's a good idea to get some juniors playing time if they're not getting a chance to play varsity.
    Park1221, the excessive reaction may have been blowback from a long simmering dispute between St. X and Trinity. X has traditionally played few, if any, juniors on the jv team. T traditionally plays juniors, For some reason this rankles followers of both schools. Guru's take on it is similar to the view many of us have: "I think programs do what works for them. Trinity plays juniors on the JV and I strongly assume Moeller does not. I don't have any issue with it, I just want to be informed when I consider the final score of a contest like this, that is all."

  9. #24

    Join Date
    Nov 02
    Location
    Louisville; Mason, OH
    Posts
    41,510

    Quote Originally Posted by theguru
    Is Trinity playing any juniors on their JV?
    Oh NO....

  10. #25

    Join Date
    Dec 06
    Posts
    159

    Quote Originally Posted by Park1221
    Easy big fella...nobody had criticized Trinity for playing juniors on JV or even remotely suggested they "broke rules". Someone merely asked the question, "Did Trinity play juniors in the JV game against Moeller." I personally think it's a good idea to get some juniors playing time if they're not getting a chance to play varsity.
    Diogenes is correct - Sorry Park 1221

  11. #26
    JIM SEYMOUR # 85's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 07
    Posts
    2,277

    Quote Originally Posted by tcjkbt
    Congrats to Boyle County. I'm sure the game benefitted both squads as their players embark on their development toward become good high players.
    Very good game......down to the last play.........T had to make big plays to tie at end of regulation.........Boyle had a very impressive player (#5) went both ways......T had very difficult time stopping him......they made theplays when it counted...good effort.........T QB did a good job IMO for his first outing......................they are there to learn........................

  12. #27

    Join Date
    Aug 07
    Posts
    921

    Quote Originally Posted by 17 Time


    Diogenes is correct - Sorry Park 1221
    What did Diogenes correct that I said? I was aware that Trinity played juniors, I was the first state it. I didn't criticize it in the least. You got defensive when Guru simply asked the question if Trintiy played juniors. I answered the question correctly. As Guru stated, he asked the question so he could put the outcome into perspective as to whether one team was playing with older players.

  13. #28
    thsrocks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 01
    Posts
    3,507

    Quote Originally Posted by Diogenes
    Park1221, the excessive reaction may have been blowback from a long simmering dispute between St. X and Trinity. X has traditionally played few, if any, juniors on the jv team. T traditionally plays juniors, For some reason this rankles followers of both schools. Guru's take on it is similar to the view many of us have: "I think programs do what works for them. Trinity plays juniors on the JV and I strongly assume Moeller does not. I don't have any issue with it, I just want to be informed when I consider the final score of a contest like this, that is all."
    You can't beat the success of the varsity Rocks. I'd urge any teams that have many juniors that aren't starting on the varsity to use them in their JV contests. Why let them rot on the sideline for a year?

    Current Trinity QB Will Stein did play varsity as a wideout and quarterbacked the JV last season. This season's back up QB, Cam Smyth, is leading the JV Rocks. Game experience is paramount to developing a football player.

    The JV game topic was mentioned in the 1940s between Male and Manual in the Courier Journal. Here's another fun point.....back in the 1920s-1940s the KHSAA allowed students to play 10 semesters of high school athletics and you could play until you turned 21. The Louisville Board of Education chose to allow their students to play until they turned 20. Students could play 4 years at Male or Manual and then play a fifth season at St. Xavier, which used the KHSAA rule.

  14. #29

    Join Date
    Aug 07
    Posts
    11

    Moeller did play juniors, there QB and TE were juniors that were very good players,cannot say for sure of any others.

Top