Tilghman out of the playoffs ...

Page 2 of Originally Posted by JC Alumni 76 Hate to see a team with that much talent and athleticism not make the playoffs. Most of all you hate for the seniors ... 26 comments | 1339 Views | Go to page 1 →

  1. #16
    Blockbuster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 03
    Location
    Online Only
    Posts
    1,336

    If they fired Jay Buckley for going 4-7 and making the playoffs how could they be justified in keeping Wyatt after going 1-9 and not making the playoffs?
    Advertisement

  2. #17
    JC Alumni 76's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 05
    Posts
    3,341

    Quote Originally Posted by westsider View Post
    It was reported today that Paducah Tilghman will have to forfeit one of their two district wins because of an ineligible player and will not make the playoffs.

    What a dropoff for a program that lost in the last seconds on a field goal in the state semifinals to the eventual state champion.

    Sounds like the administration needs to take a long, hard look at the program ...
    What was the player ruled ineligible for this late in the season?

  3. #18

    Join Date
    Aug 01
    Location
    The last "big town" before you leave Kentucky ...
    Posts
    22,986

    Quote Originally Posted by JC Alumni 76 View Post
    What was the player ruled ineligible for this late in the season?
    The player wasn't academically ineligible. It's my understanding that this wasn't caught until mid-September, after Tilghman won their first district game. Tilghman reported the issue and took the forfeit.

  4. #19
    JC Alumni 76's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 05
    Posts
    3,341

    Quote Originally Posted by westsider View Post
    The player wasn't academically ineligible. It's my understanding that this wasn't caught until mid-September, after Tilghman won their first district game. Tilghman reported the issue and took the forfeit.
    Hate to see a team with that much talent and athleticism not make the playoffs. Most of all you hate for the seniors that wont have a chance to make a run like Tilghman did last year.

  5. #20


  6. Join Date
    Aug 01
    Location
    The last "big town" before you leave Kentucky ...
    Posts
    22,986

    Quote Originally Posted by JC Alumni 76 View Post
    Hate to see a team with that much talent and athleticism not make the playoffs. Most of all you hate for the seniors that wont have a chance to make a run like Tilghman did last year.
    Ultimately, the forfeit isn't the primary reason that Tilghman is missing the playoffs. If Tilghman had performed up to their capabilities in the other three district games, they would have won the district title.

    At this point, Tilghman's issues are a little deeper than just the forfeit.

  7. #22

    Join Date
    Aug 01
    Location
    The last "big town" before you leave Kentucky ...
    Posts
    22,986

    Brad Lawson left Mayfield for several reasons, one of which was that he saw the chance to go to Tilghman as a great opportunity. Given the current alignment, you can make a pretty good argument that Tilghman afforded him a better chance to coach for a state championship team than Mayfield did.

  8. #23


  9. Join Date
    Aug 01
    Location
    The last "big town" before you leave Kentucky ...
    Posts
    22,986

    Quote Originally Posted by GoBigRed View Post
    Gotta be more than just that, more money maybe? I could argue that Mayfield has just as much of a shot at going to state each year.
    The money is about the same, as I understand it ...

    I think most people would agree that Tilghman benefitted from six classes as much as anyone ... in most years, they should have a clear path to the state semifinals and they don't have a program with multiple state titles awaiting them in the semifinals like Mayfield does with Beechwood.

  10. #25
    ColonelMike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 08
    Location
    Pegasus Sports Network - Oldham County, KY
    Posts
    6,906

    I'm from northcentral KY, so I don't get many opportunities to see PT...but I have heard some rumors up here from friends who are from WKY...the stories I'm hearing are that people are drifting away from Paducah proper and more out into the schools like Heath and Lone Oak... (i.e., PT isn't getting all the studs anymore).

    Any truth to that?

  11. #26

    Join Date
    Aug 01
    Location
    The last "big town" before you leave Kentucky ...
    Posts
    22,986

    Quote Originally Posted by ColonelMike View Post
    I'm from northcentral KY, so I don't get many opportunities to see PT...but I have heard some rumors up here from friends who are from WKY...the stories I'm hearing are that people are drifting away from Paducah proper and more out into the schools like Heath and Lone Oak... (i.e., PT isn't getting all the studs anymore).

    Any truth to that?
    Paducah and McCracken County have open enrollment, so there has been some movement in recent years. From an athletics standpoint, Lone Oak has gotten some kids from the city district ... Reidland and Heath, as far as I can tell, have had little or none.

  12. #27
    FC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 07
    Location
    Buckeyeville
    Posts
    3,002

    Quote Originally Posted by westsider View Post
    Paducah and McCracken County have open enrollment, so there has been some movement in recent years. From an athletics standpoint, Lone Oak has gotten some kids from the city district ... Reidland and Heath, as far as I can tell, have had little or none.
    If McCracken consolidates would that help or hurt PT? How soon would a possible consolidation take place if it were to happen?

Top