St.X 28 Male 12 (Freshman)

  1. #1

    Join Date
    Aug 07
    Posts
    921

    St.X 28 Male 12 (Freshman)

    St.X wins this one....but it wasn't pretty. X fumbled on the goal line, X later fumbled on the goal line out of the end zone, X dropped a 40 yard strike from Leonhardt in the end zone and to top it off X fumbled on the last play of the game and Male scooped it up to rumble about 50 yards for a TD. These fumbles and drops were not from bone jarring hits. X should have put up 49 points. The defense played decent, giving up one big run to give Male an early 6-0 lead. The offense ran gassers after the game. This group must take better care of the ball to beat Manual next week.
    Advertisement

  2. #2

    Join Date
    Aug 04
    Location
    Louisville- home of the St.Xavier Tigers
    Posts
    5,040

    Nice win for the young Tigers over what was supposed to be an outstanding Male team. They certainly need to cut down on the turnovers but a dominating performace none the less. This group continues to improve and I hope they are hitting on all cylinders in a couple of weeks.

  3. #3
    Oxnard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 01
    Posts
    6,684

    I have to agree with Park on this one. The Baby Bengal running backs put on the worst display of fumblitis that I can ever remember. I can forsee a heavy dose of guantlet drills with a large emphasis on maintaining the three pressure points when carrying the football.

    On a more positive note, I am extremely impressed with the passing ability of QB Ryan Leonhardt. He shows a great touch on the ball, the ability to throw both on the run and from the pocket, and superb accuracy. On the freshman level, he is probably the best passer I've ever seen at St.X.

    As an aside, it was interesting seeing Oscar Brohm at the game to watch his nephew, Luc Brohm, perform for the Baby Bengals.

  4. #4

    Join Date
    Aug 04
    Location
    Louisville- home of the St.Xavier Tigers
    Posts
    5,040

    Quote Originally Posted by Oxnard
    I have to agree with Park on this one. The Baby Bengal running backs put on the worst display of fumblitis that I can ever remember. I can forsee a heavy dose of guantlet drills with a large emphasis on maintaining the three pressure points when carrying the football.

    On a more positive note, I am extremely impressed with the passing ability of QB Ryan Leonhardt. He shows a great touch on the ball, the ability to throw both on the run and from the pocket, and superb accuracy. On the freshman level, he is probably the best passer I've ever seen at St.X.

    As an aside, it was interesting seeing Oscar Brohm at the game to watch his nephew, Luc Brohm, perform for the Baby Bengals.
    Agree with you on Leonhardt! He has a big time arm, now all they need to learn is to catch his passes.

  5. #5

    Join Date
    May 05
    Posts
    682

    Quote Originally Posted by Oxnard
    I have to agree with Park on this one. The Baby Bengal running backs put on the worst display of fumblitis that I can ever remember. I can forsee a heavy dose of guantlet drills with a large emphasis on maintaining the three pressure points when carrying the football.

    On a more positive note, I am extremely impressed with the passing ability of QB Ryan Leonhardt. He shows a great touch on the ball, the ability to throw both on the run and from the pocket, and superb accuracy. On the freshman level, he is probably the best passer I've ever seen at St.X.

    As an aside, it was interesting seeing Oscar Brohm at the game to watch his nephew, Luc Brohm, perform for the Baby Bengals.
    Ox, did you see this as Darth Vader visiting, or as a potential convert from the path of darkness to the path of light?

  6. #6

    Join Date
    Aug 07
    Posts
    921

    Quote Originally Posted by Xtiger69
    Agree with you on Leonhardt! He has a big time arm, now all they need to learn is to catch his passes.
    Leonhardt is an impressive young QB....the offense just put in a couple shotgun formation plays and I think he will be even more impressive from the gun as the season progresses. The drops were bad, besides the one in the end zone there were a couple others that were catchable balls, slightly high, but went through the receivers hands. On another, the receiver seemed to slow down on a long pass and had he kept running he would have caught it in stride for a TD. Antonio Jackson has made some nice catch and runs, seems to be our most consistent receiver. I wonder though if maybe one or two of our RB's might better help the team playing some receiver to give us another deep threat.

  7. #7

    Join Date
    Aug 07
    Posts
    921

    Quote Originally Posted by Oxnard
    I have to agree with Park on this one. The Baby Bengal running backs put on the worst display of fumblitis that I can ever remember. I can forsee a heavy dose of guantlet drills with a large emphasis on maintaining the three pressure points when carrying the football.

    On a more positive note, I am extremely impressed with the passing ability of QB Ryan Leonhardt. He shows a great touch on the ball, the ability to throw both on the run and from the pocket, and superb accuracy. On the freshman level, he is probably the best passer I've ever seen at St.X.

    As an aside, it was interesting seeing Oscar Brohm at the game to watch his nephew, Luc Brohm, perform for the Baby Bengals.
    I was somewhat surprised to Mr. O Brohm there as well. Is he still coaching at Trinity? I would have thought he would have been over at Trinity getting young Kragthorpe ready for Lex. Cath (I've heard Lex Cath won 28-25). I'm going with Darth Vader....something sinister was afoot.

  8. #8

    Join Date
    Aug 04
    Location
    Louisville- home of the St.Xavier Tigers
    Posts
    5,040

    Quote Originally Posted by Park1221
    Leonhardt is an impressive young QB....the offense just put in a couple shotgun formation plays and I think he will be even more impressive from the gun as the season progresses. The drops were bad, besides the one in the end zone there were a couple others that were catchable balls, slightly high, but went through the receivers hands. On another, the receiver seemed to slow down on a long pass and had he kept running he would have caught it in stride for a TD. Antonio Jackson has made some nice catch and runs, seems to be our most consistent receiver. I wonder though if maybe one or two of our RB's might better help the team playing some receiver to give us another deep threat.
    I was thinking the same thing about taking a couple of RB's and make recievers out of them. The talent is there I am not sure if all the pieces are in the right spots yet, and that can be expected at the level and at this time.

  9. #9

    Join Date
    Dec 00
    Location
    Louisville, Ky USA
    Posts
    4,547

    Quote Originally Posted by Park1221
    I was somewhat surprised to Mr. O Brohm there as well. Is he still coaching at Trinity? I would have thought he would have been over at Trinity getting young Kragthorpe ready for Lex. Cath (I've heard Lex Cath won 28-25). I'm going with Darth Vader....something sinister was afoot.
    Oscar coaches the varsity. Speaking of the Big O and quarterbacks, if I had a son in Louisville that was a talented quarterback, I'd want him to learn the position from one of three people, Oscar Brohm, Bob Beatty or Andrew Coverdale. At a lot of places in town they will teach him to read the option.

  10. #10

    Join Date
    Aug 07
    Posts
    921

    Quote Originally Posted by Trinity alum
    Oscar coaches the varsity. Speaking of the Big O and quarterbacks, if I had a son in Louisville that was a talented quarterback, I'd want him to learn the position from one of three people, Oscar Brohm, Bob Beatty or Andrew Coverdale. At a lot of places in town they will teach him to read the option.
    Just making a general comment about good QB coaches in town...or are you suggesting one or both of our fine young QB's should have chosen a different school?

  11. #11

    Join Date
    Jul 05
    Location
    The Ville
    Posts
    710

    Quote Originally Posted by Xtiger69
    Agree with you on Leonhardt! He has a big time arm, now all they need to learn is to catch his passes.
    XT69,

    I think this applies to ALL levels, not just the Freshman. X as a whole, dosen't spend nearly enough time with the jugs machine forcing repetition and teaching proper technique. JMHO
    Last edited by BirdieCat; Sep 14, 07 at 01:05 PM.

  12. #12

    Join Date
    May 05
    Posts
    682

    Quote Originally Posted by Trinity alum
    Oscar coaches the varsity. Speaking of the Big O and quarterbacks, if I had a son in Louisville that was a talented quarterback, I'd want him to learn the position from one of three people, Oscar Brohm, Bob Beatty or Andrew Coverdale. At a lot of places in town they will teach him to read the option.
    And you are a fan of what school?

  13. #13
    Oxnard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 01
    Posts
    6,684

    We definitely have had some problems catching the ball with the hands and not the body.
    Last edited by Oxnard; Sep 14, 07 at 01:09 PM.

  14. #14

    Join Date
    Dec 00
    Location
    Louisville, Ky USA
    Posts
    4,547

    Quote Originally Posted by Park1221
    Just making a general comment about good QB coaches in town...or are you suggesting one or both of our fine young QB's should have chosen a different school?
    Not at all. There are many factors that should be considered when selecting a high school. I'm sure there are some people that consider St X a good choice for them.

  15. #15

    Join Date
    Aug 07
    Posts
    921

    Quote Originally Posted by Trinity alum
    Not at all. There are many factors that should be considered when selecting a high school. I'm sure there are some people that consider St X a good choice for them.
    Let's save this for about 7 days....:argue:

Top