Simon Kenton 18 Ryle 10

Page 2 of Originally Posted by cooperstown Out of curiosity, with what do you disagree? This part. Originally Posted by Stayinline The rest in 6A would be well s... 81 comments | 3226 Views | Go to page 1 →

  1. #16

    Join Date
    Jun 02
    Posts
    32,704

    Quote Originally Posted by cooperstown
    Don't know that I'd agree with that. There is a big difference between being aggressive and crossing a line to unsportsmanlike. I see nothing at all about Warner that is unsportsmanlike.

    .
    I've seen summer 7 on 7s where Ryle's players were crossing the accepted line of contact and it started to get ugly(made boring 7 on 7s much more interesting). Coach Warner never said a word. He likes it and that's OK. However, the players aren't smart enough to know where the line is that they can't cross.
    Advertisement

  2. #17
    98NCCalum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 01
    Location
    It's been fun BGP! Be good....
    Posts
    19,155

    Huge UPSET!

  3. #18
    cooperstown's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 07
    Location
    Top Secret.
    Posts
    6,748

    Quote Originally Posted by cshs81
    I've seen summer 7 on 7s where Ryle's players were crossing the accepted line of contact and it started to get ugly(made boring 7 on 7s much more interesting). Coach Warner never said a word. He likes it and that's OK. However, the players aren't smart enough to know where the line is that they can't cross.
    I'm not claiming that Ryle is full of Rhodes scholars, but I can assure you that they are bright enough to realize that when flags are being tossed, you are doing something wrong and hurting your team. My issue is that when it's the same players making the same mistakes and they don't get reprimanded (or at least don't appear to be by a reduction in playing time).

  4. #19

    Join Date
    Dec 05
    Posts
    3,036

    Quote Originally Posted by cooperstown
    Don't know that I'd agree with that. There is a big difference between being aggressive and crossing a line to unsportsmanlike. I see nothing at all about Warner that is unsportsmanlike.

    I will say this though. I think there may sometimes be a lack of accountability when players repeat mistakes. If a player drops a TD, gives up a TD (amongst several passes), fumbles a ball, and gets called for (at least one) unsportsmanlike call all in the same game, then that player should be on the bench. Ryle has a lot of talent on the sidelines and if players are repeatedly making mistakes, then perhaps it's time to give someone else their chance. I do think Warner has a tendency to stick with the same players regardless of their performance.
    I agree 100%. Learn or sit.

  5. #20

    Join Date
    Jun 02
    Posts
    32,704

    Quote Originally Posted by cooperstown
    I'm not claiming that Ryle is full of Rhodes scholars, .
    My comment was aimed at 17 year olds in general and not just those in Union.

  6. #21

    Join Date
    Jul 05
    Location
    independence
    Posts
    61

    Bustle is really turning into a good Quaterback.Simpson played big on offense and defense.I think Ryle came into this game taking SK lightly.SK defense looked really good.Shut Schmitz down for the most part.Ryle had 2or3 fumbles.BIGGGGG win SK!!!!!!

  7. #22
    Silver Streaker's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 07
    Location
    Land 'o Milk and Honey
    Posts
    1,046

    Wow! Didn't see this one coming especially after HHS played Ryle a few weeks ago. The comment from many HHS faithful was that Ryle never gave up! They kept playing hard to the very end.

    Looks like they did this evening... Congrats to the Pioneers! Should make for interesting play the rest of N Ky 6A play.

  8. #23

    Join Date
    Dec 05
    Posts
    3,036

    Quote Originally Posted by pioneer1981
    Bustle is really turning into a good Quaterback.Simpson played big on offense and defense.I think Ryle came into this game taking SK lightly.SK defense looked really good.Shut Schmitz down for the most part.Ryle had 2or3 fumbles.BIGGGGG win SK!!!!!!
    I don't think they "shut him down", they may have kept him away from the end zone but I would guess he had a 200 yard game.

  9. #24

    Join Date
    Aug 05
    Posts
    4,912

    Ryle is most effective when they keep the ball on the ground and don't make mistakes. When they have to throw it, or when they turn it over they are beatable.

  10. #25

    Join Date
    Oct 05
    Posts
    76

    Quote Originally Posted by cooperstown
    Ryle was simply outplayed and outhustled and SK showed more emotion. A big win for them and they deserved it. Man, that Ponzer kid is quick.

    Ryle was very disappointing. Dropped passes (two for TD's), frequent fumbles, and costly (and dumb) unsportsmanlike penalties. I also have to question the play calling on Ryle's last series. They marched easily from their 48 to SK's 15 yard line on 5 or 6 running plays, then tried a pass that should have been picked on 2nd and 3. They get stopped for no gain on 3rd down and the 4th down pass wasn't even close. Ryle just doesn't have any meaningful passing attack.
    I was at the game and agree with this post. Same as I saw it.

  11. #26

    Join Date
    Jun 02
    Posts
    32,704

    Quote Originally Posted by All Play No Work
    When they have to throw it, or when they turn it over they are beatable.
    You mean like the old Coach Hauck teams?

  12. #27

    Join Date
    Sep 03
    Location
    independence
    Posts
    100

    Tonight SK played inspired football and Ryle was probably looking at this as an easy win. As a 16-18 year old kid you look at how you just beat a team two weeks ago (NCC) who beat the team you were playing tonight by a 30 point margin and you have a recipe for disaster. Of course you can look at our beloved Bengals this past weekend to see the same thing with Millionaire professional athletes so it not entirely unexpected to see this happen tonight.

    Give congrats to SK where it is due. The Hopperton kid was all over the field and it seemed they were always calling his name on the defensive side of the ball. I know this kid has a lot of heart and has "the faith to move mountains" and believed his team could win this tough battle. Keep up the good work.

    As for Ryle, some struggles with penalties and fumbles are what can lead to defeats. Is this a result of coaching as some suggest? I do not think so. I think more of the frustration of being in an unexpected battle causing some kids to lose themselve mentally. It happens all of the time in college and Pro's. A coach can not control all of that. I will trust the coach if he stays with a kid under these circumstances, especially since I know that Coach Warner (and his staff) tries to treat his kids with respect and tries to teach life lessons along the way. Believe me when I say, the kids who got the penalties will be less likely to do so again in the future.

    Unfortunately another issue will be the terrible behavior of a Ryle Fan who makes all Ryle Fans look bad. What gives a parent the right to use profanity at a high school game and be beligerent enough to cause the head coach to be concerned about the safety of his family? Not a good thing for your 8, 9, 10 year old kids to witness as your family is leaving a hard fought HIGH SCHOOL game that is supposed to be about friendly competition and life lessons for kids who are most likely never going to play sports after high school.

    But the sun will come up tomorrow and hopefully all involved will learn a great lesson:
    1.SK believes that they can come together as a team and compete with the best.
    2. Ryle players realizing that you must always come prepared mentally to play your very best.
    3. Parents to enjoy their kids playing sports and relish the time you have them. Sports are not life and death, so enjoy the moment and use it to enjoy the thrill of victory or provide (as Mr. Cunningham on Happy Days did with his son Richie after he missed the crucial shot in basketball game) a lifesaver to your son who is dejected after a tough loss!

    May God Bless All Who Were Involved In The Game Tonight--players, cheerleaders, band member, parents and officials.

  13. #28

    Join Date
    Jun 02
    Posts
    32,704

    Quote Originally Posted by Shadrach

    Unfortunately another issue will be the terrible behavior of a Ryle Fan who makes all Ryle Fans look bad. What gives a parent the right to use profanity at a high school game and be beligerent enough to cause the head coach to be concerned about the safety of his family? Not a good thing for your 8, 9, 10 year old kids to witness as your family is leaving a hard fought HIGH SCHOOL game that is supposed to be about friendly competition and life lessons for kids who are most likely never going to play sports after high school.
    Does he have a kid on the team? Did the police have to get involved?

  14. #29

    Join Date
    Oct 05
    Posts
    76

    Quote Originally Posted by cshs81
    The feeling among many that I've talked to is that Ryle takes on the personality of the head coach. So, unsportsmanlike penalties are not a big surprise. I think his aggressiveness spills over to the players. Tonight, it may have hurt them.
    This is simply untrue and uncalled for comment. This was a spirited game, personal fouls on both sides. Saw an SK player kick a Ryle player after the play, got called for 15. Not saying SK was dirty, just pointing out it was emotional both ways, just football. But do you really think a head coach wants 15 yards against him? Do you really think those players will not hear about it and pay a price in practice? Lets talk about the hard game that was played and how SK wanted it more.

  15. #30

    Join Date
    Sep 03
    Location
    independence
    Posts
    100

    They were made aware of the situation.

Top