Ranking The Top 10 Private and Military Schools Since 2000

Page 2 of The Criteria: - Hardware rules. Heavy emphasis on post season success, specifically Titles and Finals. - I am doing this on a "Pound for Pound&quo... 29 comments | 2318 Views | Go to page 1 →

  1. #16

    Join Date
    Mar 13
    Posts
    415

    Dang, X only has two titles since then.
    Advertisement

  2. #17

    Join Date
    Sep 02
    Location
    Time and Relaive Dimensions in Space
    Posts
    16,924

    Quote Originally Posted by RockinGa View Post
    Dang, X only has two titles since then.
    They would have had more, but they kind of fall into the same category as CovCath. CovCath has to get through Highlands and X had to get through Trinity.

  3. #18

    Join Date
    Dec 14
    Location
    Cincinnati (in body); Louisville (in heart)
    Posts
    1,376

    I'm a little shocked to see how little success CAL has given what I have heard about them. I also want to give St. X the #2 spot, but given the 'pound-for-pound' metric I'm not certain there.

  4. #19

    Join Date
    Aug 03
    Location
    Louisville
    Posts
    14,545

    Quote Originally Posted by RockinGa View Post
    Dang, X only has two titles since then.
    IMVHO had X waited a year to pull the trigger on Glaser they would have had another title. The team Wolford's first year was built with Glaserball in mind and they had the beasts to run it.

  5. #20

    Join Date
    Sep 02
    Location
    Time and Relaive Dimensions in Space
    Posts
    16,924

    Quote Originally Posted by All Tell View Post

    IMVHO had X waited a year to pull the trigger on Glaser they would have had another title. The team Wolford's first year was built with Glaserball in mind and they had the beasts to run it.
    I agree 100%. That team was at its best when it played a similar style to Glaser that season. Had they waited a year he could have stepped down with grace and gone out with a win (probably a win against Trinity too that season).

  6. #21
    ATLCat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 11
    Posts
    12,901

    Quote Originally Posted by psychicscubadiver View Post
    I'm a little shocked to see how little success CAL has given what I have heard about them. I also want to give St. X the #2 spot, but given the 'pound-for-pound' metric I'm not certain there.
    CAL's stock is on the rise..but until the past few years they have essentially been your run of the mill small school program. A team consistently in that 12-15 range in their respective class without the horses to beat the best teams.

    With that said, CAL has made major strides... the question remains though whether DeSales will always be just a little better.

  7. #22

    Join Date
    Sep 02
    Location
    Time and Relaive Dimensions in Space
    Posts
    16,924

    Quote Originally Posted by ATLCat View Post

    CAL's stock is on the rise..but until the past few years they have essentially been your run of the mill small school program. A team consistently in that 12-15 range in their respective class without the horses to beat the best teams.

    With that said, CAL has made major strides... the question remains though whether DeSales will always be just a little better.
    As a fan of the Catholic schools I kinda hope so.

  8. #23
    ATLCat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 11
    Posts
    12,901

    Quote Originally Posted by PepRock01 View Post
    As a fan of the Catholic schools I kinda hope so.
    Speaking of Catholic Schools

    Looking at these numbers it also makes me wonder if DeSales surge has anything to do with X's less than stellar resume as well.

    For a program who has transcended from one of those second tier small schools to an elite level small school the talent pool has to flow from somewhere. Trinity obviously is doing just fine.. but X has seemingly been a bit "down" compared to their historical standards.

  9. #24

    Join Date
    Sep 02
    Location
    Time and Relaive Dimensions in Space
    Posts
    16,924

    Quote Originally Posted by ATLCat View Post
    Speaking of Catholic Schools

    Looking at these numbers it also makes me wonder if DeSales surge has anything to do with X's less than stellar resume as well.

    For a program who has transcended from one of those second tier small schools to an elite level small school the talent pool has to flow from somewhere. Trinity obviously is doing just fine.. but X has seemingly been a bit "down" compared to their historical standards.
    It's possible. I know X is still trying to find itself with Wolford. They have an identity defensively but not offensively. That could make some young guys choose DeSales over X right now.

  10. #25
    Oldbird's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 01
    Location
    Fort Thomas, KY
    Posts
    24,547

    Quote Originally Posted by 75center View Post
    Simon Kenton should be on the list!
    BGP Hall of Fame post.

  11. #26

    Join Date
    Dec 14
    Location
    Cincinnati (in body); Louisville (in heart)
    Posts
    1,376

    Quote Originally Posted by PepRock01 View Post
    It's possible. I know X is still trying to find itself with Wolford. They have an identity defensively but not offensively. That could make some young guys choose DeSales over X right now.
    I think it might be more a matter of culture and dedication. Back when I was at Trinity, my friends at DeSales didn't really care about football. It's anecdotal evidence at best, but it still seemed like the school was not as focused on that sport. From what I've heard these days that is no longer the case.

  12. #27

    Join Date
    Mar 15
    Posts
    297

    The talent level at Desales has for sure been on the rise the past couple of years but I firmly believe that coaching has taken the program to the next level. FWIW DeSales JV beat X's JV this past season. I know we almost had a varsity game with them the past two years but couldn't get the schedules worked out. Hopefully we'll see a matchup in the coming years.

  13. #28

    Join Date
    Dec 14
    Posts
    163

    Covington Latin has been undefeated in football since 1923. They are a solid 0-0.

  14. #29

    Join Date
    May 13
    Posts
    1,521

    Quote Originally Posted by Aroundthehorn View Post
    Covington Latin has been undefeated in football since 1923. They are a solid 0-0.
    Pretty impressive record.

  15. #30

    Join Date
    Dec 14
    Posts
    163

    Quote Originally Posted by AllenR View Post
    Pretty impressive record.
    Nobody has ever scored on their defense.

Top