Grant Co. vs. Owen Co. predictions.

Page 2 of I say Grant Co. wins big, their coming off a tough loss to Anderson. Braves get back on track this week.... 29 comments | 1141 Views | Go to page 1 →

View Poll Results: Who wins?

Voters
35. You may not vote on this poll
  • Grant County

    28 80.00%
  • Owen County

    7 20.00%
  1. #16
    OlBallCoach's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 06
    Location
    On top the observation deck looking down on a world gone mad!
    Posts
    243

    Quote Originally Posted by 20ROOK
    Yes, very dissapointed. I don't think it's the QB's fault.
    You are right you can not blame Cox for the offensive problems, he does a good job with what he has to work with, all ways remember it is very hard to throw good passes when you are laying on your back and running for your life. The O they are running is very predictable and not that hard to stop. When you get down this style is not suitable to big come backs, and moving the ball down the field quickly. In the end it comes down to coaching for Owen and the style thier new head coach has chosen, they have the talent to play with most every team on their schedule. I will take Grant 32-13.
    Advertisement

  2. #17
    Play Maker3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 07
    Posts
    151

    Quote Originally Posted by OlBallCoach
    You are right you can not blame Cox for the offensive problems, he does a good job with what he has to work with, all ways remember it is very hard to throw good passes when you are laying on your back and running for your life. The O they are running is very predictable and not that hard to stop. When you get down this style is not suitable to big come backs, and moving the ball down the field quickly. In the end it comes down to coaching for Owen and the style thier new head coach has chosen, they have the talent to play with most every team on their schedule. I will take Grant 32-13.
    EXCELLENT point!!! It's hard to throw an accuracte pass when you are scrambling around ALL the time. The poor kid didn't even have time to take a 3 step drop in the games that I have seen. Also, their style of offense is predictable. Like you said though, the talent, it is there.

  3. #18

    Join Date
    Feb 07
    Location
    Home
    Posts
    647

    Quote Originally Posted by Play Maker3
    EXCELLENT point!!! It's hard to throw an accuracte pass when you are scrambling around ALL the time. The poor kid didn't even have time to take a 3 step drop in the games that I have seen. Also, their style of offense is predictable. Like you said though, the talent, it is there.
    I may be wrong but I'm pretty sure that Cox will not take another snap at QB. Pruitt replaced him. I thought because of an injury but that was not the case. IMO they will not improve at offense but will keep getting better at D from being out there so much.

  4. #19

    Join Date
    Feb 07
    Location
    Home
    Posts
    647

    Quote Originally Posted by downonthefarm
    Owen County typically has players playing both ways don't they? If they have an "athlete" I don't see how they could keep from playing him on both sides of the ball. They just don't seem to have that many kids and good players to have too many go one way. I haven't seen them this year to know about this year and is just my opinion on years past.
    I see Grant County winning this. Coach Davis does a great job up there.
    They do have good atheletes that are in shape that should be playing on both sides of the ball but are not.

  5. #20
    Play Maker3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 07
    Posts
    151

    Any chances that Cox and some of the other in shape athletes may actually play both ways this week?

  6. #21

    Join Date
    Feb 07
    Location
    Home
    Posts
    647

    Quote Originally Posted by Play Maker3
    Any chances that Cox and some of the other in shape athletes may actually play both ways this week?
    Cox has been practicing at RB.Someone will have to play both sides because Pruitt will probably not be playing strong safety, and #9 at corner is injured. Cox is too slow at corner. Slone should play D because #33 LB Hoop is also injured.

  7. #22
    gchs_uk9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 02
    Posts
    22,539

    Quote Originally Posted by downonthefarm
    Coach Davis does a great job up there.
    Really? They struggled to compete in their AAA district the last couple of seasons and picked up wins against small, usually Class A schools. They've never had a winning season. He might be making improvements in the programs, but I wouldn't classify it as doing a great job.

  8. #23

    Join Date
    Aug 07
    Posts
    99

    Good point GCHS, for some reason all of sports in Grant County seem to be down.
    I do pick Grant County by 2 TDs, 21-7.

  9. #24

    Join Date
    Aug 06
    Posts
    261

    Quote Originally Posted by gchs_uk9
    Really? They struggled to compete in their AAA district the last couple of seasons and picked up wins against small, usually Class A schools. They've never had a winning season. He might be making improvements in the programs, but I wouldn't classify it as doing a great job.

    If you only measure a job by wins and losses then you are probably right. They have only had football for 16 years. I think the coach has done a great job at getting the kids and the community involved into football, it is not like Highlands, cov cath and South Oldham the past couple of years have been bad you know. I am sure Garrard County has improved alot since coach Stonebreakers arrival and they will continue to improve but you must judge success at a program level and I think that coach Davis is doing a great job at that, win/loses will come. The schedule he played the last 2 years was not his, but the previous coaches. Keep up the good work things are coming around for the braves

  10. #25
    Highway 119's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 05
    Location
    Heinz Field (with all my heart and soul)
    Posts
    243

    Quote Originally Posted by gchs_uk9
    Really? They struggled to compete in their AAA district the last couple of seasons and picked up wins against small, usually Class A schools. They've never had a winning season. He might be making improvements in the programs, but I wouldn't classify it as doing a great job.
    You have to look at the history of the program. They have never been consistent, or that successful. This is his third year at the helm. Numbers are higher, they are 2-1, and played a strong team very well in Anderson last week, a team I feel would have beaten some of the other, older Grant teams by about 40; not because of talent, but because of the belief (or lack thereof) in themselves. I would say Davis is doing alright for himself.

    Boy, though, you wanna talk about failures, how 'bout that Chuck Smith guy and his first two years at Boyle Co. :fire:

  11. #26
    True blue (and gold)'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 06
    Location
    “The world’s problems begin with the belief that some human lives are more important than others.”
    Posts
    29,645

    Quote Originally Posted by giantkiller
    If you only measure a job by wins and losses then you are probably right. They have only had football for 16 years. I think the coach has done a great job at getting the kids and the community involved into football, it is not like Highlands, cov cath and South Oldham the past couple of years have been bad you know. I am sure Garrard County has improved alot since coach Stonebreakers arrival and they will continue to improve but you must judge success at a program level and I think that coach Davis is doing a great job at that, win/loses will come. The schedule he played the last 2 years was not his, but the previous coaches. Keep up the good work things are coming around for the braves
    I agree. As the saying goes, "Rome was not built in a day".

    Coach Davis does a great job.

  12. #27
    Play Maker3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 07
    Posts
    151

    Against Henry Co., Owen Co. had several people get injured or hurt. Does anyone know if these players will be able to play tonight, and if not who will replace them?

  13. #28
    Knute Rockne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 05
    Location
    South Bend
    Posts
    811

    Grant by several

  14. #29
    gchs_uk9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 02
    Posts
    22,539

    Quote Originally Posted by Highway 119
    Boy, though, you wanna talk about failures, how 'bout that Chuck Smith guy and his first two years at Boyle Co. :fire:
    Poor example. His first year they went 7-4 and lost a tough first round game at Corbin. The second year they went 2-8, but haven't had a losing season since.

    I know you can't measure with just wins and losses, but as an outsider, I'm not sure I see that program getting better. We really won't know until about five years from now. I wish Grant County the best; its a great place and great people (we've been there a couple times!). I think one advantage they have now is not having to play in district with Highlands, Covington Catholic, etc.

  15. #30
    Highway 119's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 05
    Location
    Heinz Field (with all my heart and soul)
    Posts
    243

    Quote Originally Posted by gchs_uk9
    Poor example. His first year they went 7-4 and lost a tough first round game at Corbin. The second year they went 2-8, but haven't had a losing season since.
    Then I have been misinformed. I had heard that he was winless one year and only about 2-8 the other. Apparently, my sarcasm has backfired.
    However, I still think that Grant Co. is a program on the rise. Sometimes the turning point takes time to reach, but it does get reached. I don't think they are that far from it.

Top