Football and Baseball

  1. #1

    Join Date
    Aug 19
    Posts
    41

    Football and Baseball

    Tradition be damned, this is an excellent time to move baseball to the fall and football to the spring. Athlete health and safety, even the weather for both sports has always been perfect for it, so why not do it now?
    Advertisement

  2. #2
    Jim Schue's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 03
    Location
    Let me tell you something about hard times, brother!!!!
    Posts
    54,218

    Good luck with that one.

  3. #3

    Join Date
    Jan 11
    Posts
    9,149

    Quote Originally Posted by Kentucky9 View Post
    Tradition be damned, this is an excellent time to move baseball to the fall and football to the spring. Athlete health and safety, even the weather for both sports has always been perfect for it, so why not do it now?
    Baseball is subject to the same heat regulations as football because of the required helmets and catchers equipment. And with a Feb 15th start, football as it's currently scheduled couldn't get finished by the end of June, when once again, heat issues will pop up. Currently football has 21 weeks. You'd only have 17 with if you made it a spring sport. You'd have to start football in January, which would be a big problem for anyone who plays basketball, or do away with the dead period, or cut the playoffs to 3 rounds, and get rid of the bye week to make it fit AND shorten the season to make football fit in spring. And football in spring would likely end track as a sport.

  4. #4

    Join Date
    Aug 19
    Posts
    41

    Football recruitment and conditioning could take place throughout the school year with football in the spring. This would assist with the barrier of distance that plagues many big destitute counties. Summer and fall would be better on pitchers arms wouldn’t it? Spring rains would impact football far less than baseball scheduling correct? As far as temperature rules go, ya will never convince me the uniforms required for football and baseball doesn’t show at least the thought of a change.

  5. #5
    GrantNKY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 14
    Location
    Be the person people are talking about, not the person talking about other people.
    Posts
    14,118

    I don’t want to be this blunt about it, but no that’s a horrible idea. As far as baseball, it’s horrible because kids have been playing all summer long leading to potential injuries, pitchers arms being worn out, etc. For football they need those summer practices and camps before school starts for install purposes. You just simply couldn’t do that over let’s say Christmas break due to family obligations etc. Just would never work. Also you said tradition be damned, but there is nothing wrong with the tradition.

  6. #6

    Join Date
    Aug 19
    Posts
    41

    Arms being worn out? The current system whether it be by ignorance or daddy coaching isn’t the best on saving pitchers arms. As far as camps go, I don’t guess those linemen could do that in the winter when the chosen ones are playing basketball . Should say never be chosen by coach cow.

  7. #7

    Join Date
    Jan 11
    Posts
    9,149

    Quote Originally Posted by Kentucky9 View Post
    Football recruitment and conditioning could take place throughout the school year with football in the spring. This would assist with the barrier of distance that plagues many big destitute counties. Summer and fall would be better on pitchers arms wouldn’t it? Spring rains would impact football far less than baseball scheduling correct? As far as temperature rules go, ya will never convince me the uniforms required for football and baseball doesn’t show at least the thought of a change.
    Certainly, the weather in the summer/fall would be better for baseball. There's no arguing that. Arguing though that weather from Feb 15th-June 15th would be more condusive to football isn't the same no brainer. Football would be just as affected by cold, and more importatnly the rain as baseball. Many non turf fields aren't going to be playable in the spring during the rainy season, and football is much harder on grass than baseball. And you still haven't addressed the timing issue. You'd have to shorten football season by about 4 weeks, or start earlier, which would cause a huge conflict with basketball. The overlap with basketball even without starting early is a big problem, with acclimation rules that are currently in place. Basketball players at the earliest wouldn't be able to start having contact until Mid March at the earliest, which is when you'd have to start the regular season. This would kill participation at small schools who must share athletes.

    I would agree, you could probably move baseball. There are just too many problems though, for football to make the corresponsing move to spring.

  8. #8
    ChiefSmoke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 01
    Location
    US 68
    Posts
    1,789

    Alot of the best remaining natural grass fields are bermuda. Bermuda will not be ready in the spring.

    Turf is fine in a bunch of situations. But, if you can pull it off, bermuda is the best. Cost effective and a great surface. Safest surface as well.

  9. #9
    GrantNKY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 14
    Location
    Be the person people are talking about, not the person talking about other people.
    Posts
    14,118

    Quote Originally Posted by Kentucky9 View Post
    Arms being worn out? The current system whether it be by ignorance or daddy coaching isn’t the best on saving pitchers arms. As far as camps go, I don’t guess those linemen could do that in the winter when the chosen ones are playing basketball . Should say never be chosen by coach cow.
    Kids aren’t going to stop playing summer ball. They get infinitely more recognition and their name out there from that than they do high school ball. You want to follow up a summer season where kids are playing 80-100 games in 3 months with another season in the fall where they play 30 more games? Insane.

  10. #10

    Join Date
    Jan 11
    Posts
    9,149

    Quote Originally Posted by GrantNKY View Post
    Kids aren’t going to stop playing summer ball. They get infinitely more recognition and their name out there from that than they do high school ball. You want to follow up a summer season where kids are playing 80-100 games in 3 months with another season in the fall where they play 30 more games? Insane.
    Realistically, right now it's a 30+ game season followed up with the summer season, so flipping to the fall wouldn't change the number of games, just the order in which they played. What would be different is I would say the high school season and coaches do a good job of getting arms in shape for those back to back seasons. If you flip the order, I would fear the summer teams wouldn't do as good a job in prepping the arms for the back to back seasons.

  11. #11
    GrantNKY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 14
    Location
    Be the person people are talking about, not the person talking about other people.
    Posts
    14,118

    Quote Originally Posted by rjs4470 View Post
    Realistically, right now it's a 30+ game season followed up with the summer season, so flipping to the fall wouldn't change the number of games, just the order in which they played. What would be different is I would say the high school season and coaches do a good job of getting arms in shape for those back to back seasons. If you flip the order, I would fear the summer teams wouldn't do as good a job in prepping the arms for the back to back seasons.
    High school coaches do a much better job of protecting arms than summer coaches do. The goal should be to have the high school teams at full strength heading in the season. I think we would all agree to that. The best way to do that is for it to remain in the spring.

  12. #12
    GrantNKY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 14
    Location
    Be the person people are talking about, not the person talking about other people.
    Posts
    14,118

    As someone who played 80-100 games every summer and played fall baseball as well, fall baseball sucks. Every one is worn out, school had just started back, and honestly you’re just tired of baseball. Basketball is similar with AAU but AAU stops around when school starts and you have a month or more off before October 15th. Having baseball in the fall you would jump straight from summer season to high school ball. That would be miserable. Your argument still doesn’t account for the need for having a camp for football. Teams absolutely need that time. There is simply no time for it while school is going on. It has to be done in the summer. It simply makes zero sense to me why anyone would want to switch the seasons.

  13. #13
    GrantNKY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 14
    Location
    Be the person people are talking about, not the person talking about other people.
    Posts
    14,118

    On a much larger scale for kids who have higher aspirations at the next level, the high school football season has to coincide with football season. It would change the entire recruiting calendar. With NSD essentially being in December now and a large percentage of players foregoing their last semester of high school and enroll early, it would throw everything off. If you’re arguing it should only be a KY thing then football players would leave the state in droves because no schools would come here to recruit because their scholarships are already given out. The last thing Kentucky football needs is less exposure on the recruiting trail. It won’t work. Period.

  14. #14

    Join Date
    Jul 03
    Location
    Northern Ky.
    Posts
    5,137

    Quote Originally Posted by Kentucky9 View Post
    Tradition be damned, this is an excellent time to move baseball to the fall and football to the spring. Athlete health and safety, even the weather for both sports has always been perfect for it, so why not do it now?
    zero chance that this would ever be given one second thought for many of the reasons listed by others, and many not listed. There are a ton of reasons not to do it, and No reason to even think about it.

    If you want to start a good debate though, propose moving soccer to to the Spring and baseball and softball to the Fall.

  15. #15
    Hellcats's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 14
    Posts
    5,856

    If we want to move something, how about Soccer to spring?

Top