Dear KHSAA,

Page 3 of Originally Posted by Jumper_Dad You keep on dreaming that dream We all have the right to dream don't we?? Advertisement Sep 19, 07, 01:39 PM #62 R... 110 comments | 4629 Views | Go to page 1 →

  1. #31

    Join Date
    Nov 06
    Posts
    217

    Which schools are actually playing "out of class"?
    Advertisement

  2. #32
    kydlineguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 07
    Location
    On your computer screen
    Posts
    287

    I really do not think it should be a big deal if a school wants to jump up in class now and days. Highlands can compete with anybody, Beechwood and New Cath can give any big school a run for their money if not beat them. So someone before mentioned "logistics", I can agree with that also. If you can play with them, then you should be allowed!

  3. #33
    Director of Football Operations
    Ram's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 06
    Location
    Raceland
    Posts
    46,078

    Even though I typed a lot and used research to prove my argument, I am only proposing that we go back to the playoff format that we used in the 80's and 90's. I am not proposing anything about the six class system. Just the playoffs. We used to have the two best teams from each district, with a point system for tie breakers, go to the playoffs. Nothing more, nothing less.

    The reason I like the old format is that I think there was better competition then and more of a priority on the regular season.

  4. #34
    oldrambler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 06
    Location
    I'm ftom the Other Side of the Tracks ....where your momma warned you about.
    Posts
    38,979

    Quote Originally Posted by LRCW
    I honeslty don't feel the KHSAA is too concerned about improving the quality of play of their member schools. I'm sure all that matters to them is the almighty dollar, and cutting the number of schools that make the playoffs isn't something that's going to help generate money.
    The highlighted statement sums it all up imo.

  5. #35
    oldrambler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 06
    Location
    I'm ftom the Other Side of the Tracks ....where your momma warned you about.
    Posts
    38,979

    Quote Originally Posted by Ram
    Even though I typed a lot and used research to prove my argument, I am only proposing that we go back to the playoff format that we used in the 80's and 90's. I am not proposing anything about the six class system. Just the playoffs. We used to have the two best teams from each district, with a point system for tie breakers, go to the playoffs. Nothing more, nothing less.

    The reason I like the old format is that I think there was better competition then and more of a priority on the regular season.
    I also agree with only two teams from each district (no matter what class) advancing to the playoffs. I am not opposed to the six class system at all.

  6. #36

    Join Date
    Aug 01
    Location
    The last "big town" before you leave Kentucky ...
    Posts
    22,986

    Quote Originally Posted by BULLDOG51
    All I know is this, when the original alignment came out I studied it and thought "WOW, this really opens the door for a few programs that have struggled to get to L-VILLE in December. When it was said and done, and realignment was final, I studied it again. I saw a few things that didn't jive. IMO it will be the same group of teams at the finals. Don't get me wrong a Powerhouse is still a Powerhouse no matter what class. However, all I meant was that if you say I am 3A, then no matter how much I travel or what former rivalries I may have had, I should still be in a 3A district. By making it 6 classes and reducing the size of the districts, then it should have made it easier for those teams to continue rivalries, because they have more open dates to schedule them. As far as travel goes, schedule your non district games closer to home. With a 5 team district you would have played 2 district games at home anyway. Schools travel from Northern Ky. nearly every week to play in Corbin, London, Ironton, Ashland etc. Louisville Schools come to Cincinnati EVERY year to play in the Ohio vs. USA weekend. Why is travel an issue for a district game?
    Again, to which schools were you referring?

  7. #37

    Join Date
    Oct 01
    Location
    Covington, KY.
    Posts
    485

    Quote Originally Posted by westsider
    Again, to which schools were you referring?
    I am not referring to any one school. What I said was I THINK. I did not say that is what they said. As for schools that ARE playing up, I do not have the exact schools. However here is a list of schools that petitioned to

    PLAY UP: Covington Catholic, East Jessamine, Green County, Highlands, Knott County Central, Madisonville North Hopkins, McLean County, Russellville, Somerset, Washington County, West Jessamine

    Requested Regional Move: Casey County, Fleming County, Frankfort, Ohio County, Southern, Todd County Central

  8. #38

    Join Date
    Oct 01
    Location
    Covington, KY.
    Posts
    485

    Quote Originally Posted by BULLDOG51
    I am not referring to any one school. What I said was I THINK. I did not say that is what they said. As for schools that ARE playing up, I do not have the exact schools. However here is a list of schools that petitioned to

    PLAY UP: Covington Catholic, East Jessamine, Green County, Highlands, Knott County Central, Madisonville North Hopkins, McLean County, Russellville, Somerset, Washington County, West Jessamine

    Requested Regional Move: Casey County, Fleming County, Frankfort, Ohio County, Southern, Todd County Central
    Okay, here is how the schools that requested to PLAY UP faired:

    School: draft alignment / final alignment
    Covington Catholic: 4A / 5A
    East Jessamine: 4A / 4A
    Green County: 2A / 2A
    Highlands: 3A / 5A
    Knott County Central: 2A / 2A
    Madisonville North Hopkins: 5A / 6A
    McLean County: 3A / 3A
    Russellville: 3A / 3A
    Somerset: 3A / 3A
    Washington County: 2A / 2A
    West Jessamine: 4A /4A

  9. #39

    Join Date
    Jun 06
    Posts
    964

    Quote Originally Posted by leatherneck
    I don't think we have a problem by permitting as many kids as possible to get to play football another week a year. It doesn't bother me one bit that a lot of teams get in the playoffs.

    I also disagree that the regular season games are meaningless. I was raised to want to win every game I participated in for, if nothing else, the sake of winning. I sincerely doubt that if you ask any kid strapping his chin strap for a regular season game, "does this game matter to you?", any one of them would say "no" in response. Furthermore, hosting the first round of the district playoff against the worst team in the district means a lot to most coaches. Besides the obvious benefit of getting to play at home, the competition will in most cases be a little easier than the second placed team playing the third placed team. If a team is beat up at that time of year (as a lot are), the ability to get some rest and recovery for the starters in that first game is very meaningful. Furthermore, in the second round when the first placed team plays the second placed team (assuming the higher placed teams win), the first placed team getting to play that game at home is also very meaningful. I've said it before and I'll say it again: if Highlands had beaten CovCath in the regular season game, Highlands would have beaten them in the playoffs and may have won state. That regular season game was critical. Thus I totally, but respectfully, disagree with your underlying premise of what is wrong with the KHSAA's model.

    What's wrong about Ohio's system is that while an Ohio coach may have thought he's scheduled tough teams that will get him a bunch of Harbin points so his team qualifies for the playoffs, he never really knows how tough his opponents will be. Look at the Ohio teams that scheduled CovCath this year. Unless CovCath improves dramatically, CovCath may only end up with 3 or 4 wins. LaSalle's win over them doesn't help LaSalle get many Harbin points. While those close to CovCath may have predicted a down year for CovCath, I doubt LaSalle could have predicted it. Furthermore, since most contracts are for a two year period, it makes it really tough (almost impossible) for coaches putting a schedule together to predict how strong their opponent will be two years down the road. On the flip side, an Ohio coach must be very wary about scheduling too tough of competition. If he overschedules and loses, those losses may cost him a berth in the playoffs. Whereas in Kentucky, teams like Highlands, Trinity and CovCath can schedule really tough out of state competition without worrying if the loss will cost them the playoffs. All they have to be concerned with is playing very tough competition to improve themselves. I actually think Ky's rule encourages teams to play much tougher competition, it just a matter of the Ky coaches having the guts to do so or having the money to travel for some of the Ky schools located in remote areas.

    Hope that didn't come across too brash. Was not my intent.
    Best post on this subject ever!

    I agree completely.

    The change works out for everyone. Players, coaches, schools, the KHSAA, fans, and the uprising interest in football in Kentucky.

  10. #40
    LRCW's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 02
    Location
    In God's hands
    Posts
    56,605

    Quote Originally Posted by leatherneck
    I TOTALLY disagree with this post.

    Why? How was the KHSAA shown otherwise?

  11. #41

    Join Date
    Aug 06
    Posts
    261

    I will say this about moving up, when this was presented to coaches it was for them to have an even number and bring teams to an even playing field. All I know is if one can move up they all should be allowed to move up and it sure lloks like the ones with influence got what they wanted while others were given some BS excuse why they couldn't. That is not fair, weather it is Highlands or East Jessamine, it should not matter.

  12. #42

    Join Date
    Feb 05
    Location
    WHO DEY!!!
    Posts
    23,394

    Quote Originally Posted by leatherneck
    I don't think we have a problem by permitting as many kids as possible to get to play football another week a year. It doesn't bother me one bit that a lot of teams get in the playoffs.
    That takes away from the accomplishment from making the playoffs dont you think? I mean yay we didn't win a game and still make the playoffs. I know before when it was just the four classes, you actually usually did have to win some games to EARN a spot in the playoffs. I mean before when you made the playoffs there was a sense of accomplishment and gives you something to really be proud about. Now if a district only has 4 teams in it, every team would know that they would be in the playoffs no matter what. So atleast before when a team would lose in the 1st round they would be able to still feel proud that they atleast we made the playoffs, alot of people dont get to say that. But now that whole thing really means nothing at all...If we are going to have 6 classes, I think I agree with Ram we need to go to only have 2 teams from each district make it...However I think we should just go back to the old system we use to have with 4 classes, and 4 teams making it, and playing against another district in the first two rounds...

  13. #43

    Join Date
    Aug 01
    Location
    The last "big town" before you leave Kentucky ...
    Posts
    22,986

    Quote Originally Posted by BULLDOG51
    I am not referring to any one school. What I said was I THINK. I did not say that is what they said. As for schools that ARE playing up, I do not have the exact schools. However here is a list of schools that petitioned to

    PLAY UP: Covington Catholic, East Jessamine, Green County, Highlands, Knott County Central, Madisonville North Hopkins, McLean County, Russellville, Somerset, Washington County, West Jessamine

    Requested Regional Move: Casey County, Fleming County, Frankfort, Ohio County, Southern, Todd County Central
    I know which schools made such requests.

    Your original statement was ... "I think some schools may have looked at their alignment and thought they would have a better shot at a championship if they jumped up a class or two."

    Again, which schools were you referring to?

  14. #44
    mcpapa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 05
    Location
    Home of a proud papa
    Posts
    62,036

    Not in favor of the most remote possibility of having playoff eligibility or seeding determined by your opponents' performance. One of the flaws in the BCS, IMO. In a college analogy, should you be penalized because you schedule Notre Dame and Michigan, only to find that they both stink this year?

  15. #45

    Join Date
    Aug 07
    Location
    Right Behind You.
    Posts
    370

    College Football?

    "Ohio has a Power Ranking system, just like used in college football, which assigns a score for win/loss record and strength of schedule"




    If there is one thing wrong with football, its the current college football points system. So please lets not look there for the answer.

Top