Cantrall Ratings

  1. #1
    gchs_uk9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 02
    Posts
    22,642

    Cantrall Ratings

    Were the Cantrall Ratings in the Herald-Leader this week? I know its usually after three weeks in the season that the first issue is released. I searched the website and found no link. Anyone?
    Advertisement

  2. #2
    MTNFAN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 04
    Location
    The Mountains!!!!
    Posts
    1,725

    Quote Originally Posted by gchs_uk9
    Were the Cantrall Ratings in the Herald-Leader this week? I know its usually after three weeks in the season that the first issue is released. I searched the website and found no link. Anyone?
    I can't find a link but they were in yesterday's Lex Herald Leader.

  3. #3
    Watusi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 01
    Posts
    37,668

    The top 25 was posted in Mike Fields' blog, but the entire list wasn't posted in their online edition.

  4. #4

    Join Date
    Aug 07
    Location
    Rees showing what he does best
    Posts
    133

    I've always thought that the Cantrall's rankings were bogus, as well as the Litkenhouse rankings ( I know the spelling is wrong ). Too much on high scoring games or deficits. Steve Spurrier would love these rankings when he was at Florida.

  5. #5
    thsrocks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 01
    Posts
    3,507

    Litkenhous ratings have been around since the 1930s. The were initially referred to as "score by difference" ratings in the Courier-Journal. They were originally used by many newspapers nationwide for college rankings. High school came about as an afterthought. The creator of this system was a professor at U of L. His brother helped and later his son kept the ratings going. He would not predict against gambling "spreads" but his "winners only" ran 90% or better! I do feel this system is a fairly accurate in identifying who will win.

  6. #6

    Join Date
    Nov 01
    Location
    Martinsville, Virginia
    Posts
    17,968

    Quote Originally Posted by thsrocks
    Litkenhous ratings have been around since the 1930s. The were initially referred to as "score by difference" ratings in the Courier-Journal. They were originally used by many newspapers nationwide for college rankings. High school came about as an afterthought. The creator of this system was a professor at U of L. His brother helped and later his son kept the ratings going. He would not predict against gambling "spreads" but his "winners only" ran 90% or better! I do feel this system is a fairly accurate in identifying who will win.

    I think they too have some flaws though are better than Lit. I remember my biggest complaint with them was my Junior year in High School. According to Lit our ratings were lower than four of the nine teams we defeated. If the system was that great, I can't for the life of me see how that one happened.

  7. #7

    Join Date
    Nov 03
    Location
    "Cry Havoc And Let Slip The Dogs Of War"
    Posts
    4,370

    The Cantrall rankings are always weird. An example for this week is Lynn Camp listed about 3 to 5 spots behind Cumberland after beating them @ Cumberland.

  8. #8
    Youth Coach's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 05
    Posts
    642

    Another bad example is Harlan 4 or 5 spots ahead of Evarts after Evarts beat Harlan last week by 4 TDs.

  9. #9

    Join Date
    Dec 69
    Posts
    0

    Still no link?

  10. #10

    Join Date
    Nov 03
    Location
    "Cry Havoc And Let Slip The Dogs Of War"
    Posts
    4,370

    Quote Originally Posted by Youth Coach
    Another bad example is Harlan 4 or 5 spots ahead of Evarts after Evarts beat Harlan last week by 4 TDs.
    I meant to mention that one, too. Thanks.

Top