Will the KHSAA use RPI to seed the Sweet 16?

  1. #1
    JDEaston's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 13
    Posts
    9,345

    Will the KHSAA use RPI to seed the Sweet 16?

    I'm not talking about this season. However how it was implemented in football and now being adjusted after the first season got me thinking.

    In my opinion the answer is yes, we will likely see it used in basketball sometime in the next three years. There is a reason that they are computing the data this season even though it will not be used for seeding purposes. That reason is not to give us fans something to talk about, it's a trial run before they actually begin using it, imo.

    What are everyone else's thoughts? Would it be a good thing or a bad thing in your opinion?
    Advertisement

  2. #2
    Jumper_Dad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 06
    Location
    To one who has faith, no explanation is necessary. To one without faith, no explanation is possible
    Posts
    51,026

    I hope not, I like the random draw.

  3. #3

    Join Date
    Jan 09
    Location
    Latonia
    Posts
    1,615

    I have been going to the Sweet 16 every year since 2000. I think seeding the Sweet 16 would be the wrong move in my opinion. There would really be no right way to do it and teams in some Regions would get a worse seed just by being in their respective Region. The Sweet 16 is obviously not the top 16 teams in the State and that is what makes it so special.

    I also don’t like how the First Round is gerrymandered now, the teams should play where they draw.

    The only change that I do like is having the Semifinals on Saturday night with a Sunday Final. Sure there are some years I don’t stay for the Finals, but it is much better for the players, and as a fan the old 10 am Saturday games weren’t too fun to get up for.

  4. #4
    The Professor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 04
    Location
    Sag Hollow
    Posts
    21,783

    Quote Originally Posted by Jumper_Dad View Post
    I hope not, I like the random draw.
    I do too. If it were a seeded tournament the 14th region would be playing the top rated team nearly every year.

  5. #5
    Jumper_Dad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 06
    Location
    To one who has faith, no explanation is necessary. To one without faith, no explanation is possible
    Posts
    51,026

    Quote Originally Posted by The Professor View Post
    I do too. If it were a seeded tournament the 14th region would be playing the top rated team nearly every year.
    Yep, not fair to penalize a team due to geography.

  6. #6
    Carl Spackler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 20
    Location
    Somerset, Ky
    Posts
    44

    I really hope they keep it a blind draw. If not, I'd rather them go to 3-4 classes.

  7. #7

    Join Date
    Jan 01
    Location
    Looking California, and feeling Minnesota...
    Posts
    10,454

    Quote Originally Posted by Jumper_Dad View Post
    Yep, not fair to penalize a team due to geography.
    Isn’t that what happens now when the 6th, 7th, 9th, and 11th draw each other in the first round?

  8. #8

    Join Date
    Dec 17
    Posts
    1,701

    If they seed it why you bother to go to the first round games? More empty seats.

  9. #9

    Join Date
    Jan 19
    Posts
    37

    They should seed, every other major sport does. Just my opinion though I can see both ways, but the championship game should always be set up where the best teams play each other.

  10. #10
    Jumper_Dad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 06
    Location
    To one who has faith, no explanation is necessary. To one without faith, no explanation is possible
    Posts
    51,026

    Quote Originally Posted by colonel-fan View Post
    Isn’t that what happens now when the 6th, 7th, 9th, and 11th draw each other in the first round?
    Yes but it isn't set every year, like it would be for some regions under RPI seeding.

  11. #11
    sweet16's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 02
    Location
    The real WKY
    Posts
    22,383

    Quote Originally Posted by BBTEA View Post
    They should seed, every other major sport does. Just my opinion though I can see both ways, but the championship game should always be set up where the best teams play each other.
    In high school?

  12. #12
    ColonelMike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 08
    Location
    Pegasus Sports Network - Oldham County, KY
    Posts
    6,906

    I absolutely hate the idea. We seem to be getting caught up in this "it's just not fair that the 7th and the 11th drew each other in the first round" kind of mantra we hear from time to time.

    The reality is, that it is perfectly fair. Fair is when everyone has the same level playing field, and a blind draw is the epitome of fair. Is it a shame that the (allegedly) top 2 teams draw each other in the first round? Yes. But it does absolutely nothing to prevent the best team from winning the tournament.

    The cream still rises to the top.

    People will say I'm too sentimental about all this, but I'm getting really tired of changes "because the other states are doing it." I kind of like that Kentucky is unique. I like that Kentucky crowns one champion, instead of having four, five, or six "champions". To Kentuckians, basketball is serious stuff, and we know that it only takes 5-7 players who play well together to win a championship. It's been done before and it'll be done again. And I like the blind draw. It's part of the tradition, it's part of the mystique, and it's honestly part of the excitement the Sweet 16 generates.

    I also am not real fond of the Riherds scoreboard practice of sorting the teams in each region by RPI....it's creating some really bizarre region standings....

    High school is so different from college. I'm not opposed to the way the NCAA seeds its tournament. But I see high school a little differently...

    CM

  13. #13
    JDEaston's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 13
    Posts
    9,345

    Quote Originally Posted by ColonelMike View Post
    I absolutely hate the idea. We seem to be getting caught up in this "it's just not fair that the 7th and the 11th drew each other in the first round" kind of mantra we hear from time to time.

    The reality is, that it is perfectly fair. Fair is when everyone has the same level playing field, and a blind draw is the epitome of fair. Is it a shame that the (allegedly) top 2 teams draw each other in the first round? Yes. But it does absolutely nothing to prevent the best team from winning the tournament.

    The cream still rises to the top.

    People will say I'm too sentimental about all this, but I'm getting really tired of changes "because the other states are doing it." I kind of like that Kentucky is unique. I like that Kentucky crowns one champion, instead of having four, five, or six "champions". To Kentuckians, basketball is serious stuff, and we know that it only takes 5-7 players who play well together to win a championship. It's been done before and it'll be done again. And I like the blind draw. It's part of the tradition, it's part of the mystique, and it's honestly part of the excitement the Sweet 16 generates.

    I also am not real fond of the Riherds scoreboard practice of sorting the teams in each region by RPI....it's creating some really bizarre region standings....

    High school is so different from college. I'm not opposed to the way the NCAA seeds its tournament. But I see high school a little differently...

    CM
    I can pretty much agree 100% with everything you said. The RPI regional thing doesn't really bother me but I feel like you're spot on with the rest of it.

    Unfortunately, I do believe we will see RPI used to seed the sweet 16 in the not so distant future.

  14. #14
    ColonelMike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 08
    Location
    Pegasus Sports Network - Oldham County, KY
    Posts
    6,906

    Quote Originally Posted by JDEaston View Post
    The RPI regional thing doesn't really bother me but I feel like you're spot on with the rest of it.
    That part doesn't really "bother" me, per se....it's just annoying....and is, I believe, another way that the KHSAA is trying to "normalize" the RPI in KY HS Basketball.

    Like you, I firmly expect to see the KHSAA try to push the RPI through for seeding. It will be interesting to see if the KABC or other organizations push back...

  15. #15
    mcpapa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 05
    Location
    Home of a proud papa
    Posts
    62,032

Top