Who will be in the 9th region final .

Page 3 of Ryle vs NCC 6pm Dixie vs Boone approx 730 or right after gm 1... 42 comments | 1536 Views | Go to page 1 →

  1. #31
    Voice of Reason's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 08
    Location
    N. KY.
    Posts
    34,249

    Quote Originally Posted by Walter View Post
    I believe Duran Jefferson's triple double in the 2004/2005 or 2006/2007 9th region tournament might rank up there as "one for the ages and second to none" as well.

    Let's not get ahead of ourself RE. Downs had a very good performance but one for the ages?????
    I'm with Walter on this one. Downs had a great game and took advantage of what Holmes gave him and his team. I think his offensive game still needs some work to be considered among the best guards in the region. Now, if you qualify it and say perhaps the best pure point guard, then Downs is right there. He is a very smart player and at the top of the list as a floor general. His ball handling skills are top notch. He is in the discussion for next year but I am not ready to annoint him anything after one great game.
    Advertisement

  2. #32

    Join Date
    Sep 09
    Location
    Wherever I am needed.
    Posts
    6,281

    Quote Originally Posted by Walter View Post
    I believe Duran Jefferson's triple double in the 2004/2005 or 2006/2007 9th region tournament might rank up there as "one for the ages and second to none" as well.

    Let's not get ahead of ourself RE. Downs had a very good performance but one for the ages?????
    Walter, not sure why you are so reluctant to give credit to Downs for an outstanding game last night. He put on the best performance of the tournament thus far. I just get the feeling you are trying to bring his game last night down to a "good" game and he will never play like that again. Jefferson's triple double was also another great performance, not sure what the relevance is here though. I am not getting ahead of myself at all, just giving praise to a kid who put his team on his back and played his tail off. What's wrong with giving praise instead of trying to minimize a great performance? Nothing, absolutely nothing.

  3. #33

    Join Date
    Sep 09
    Location
    Wherever I am needed.
    Posts
    6,281

    Quote Originally Posted by Walter View Post
    I'll have my popcorn ready...hope you have yours ready too as Downs will be going against, IMO, the best pg in the region in Matt Trammel.

    Good Luck to your boys, RE.
    In late December you had Hayes ranked "1B" behind Brown from Boone in your top player rankings, right? Are you saying that Trammel has now passed Hayes on that list? Who won the Hayes/Downs battle last night?

  4. #34

    Join Date
    Dec 08
    Posts
    585

    Quote Originally Posted by RomanEmpire View Post
    Not taking anything away from those guys, they are both great players, but I would put Downs right there with them. I have not been this excited to see a game (Boone vs. Dixie) in a long time. His performance last night was one for the ages and second to none. This will be Dixie's first look at Downs and they will be in for a surprise.
    Some of the boys from Dixie are very familiar with Downs and his play, played with him for years in AAU, this will be a great game to watch. The last time Boone played Dixie, it was without Downs AND Trammel had one of his better games of the year IMO. Looking forward to Saturday, it's going to be another close one.

  5. #35

    Join Date
    Jul 06
    Location
    Covington, Ky
    Posts
    1,674

    I am going to go with a Dixie/NCC final with Dixie cutting down the nets. Think the Ryle/NCC semi will be the best game of the final four and would not surprise me if Ryle pulled a minor upset.

    Think Downs had a fantastic game last night and was absolutely the difference in the game. Running mate Stanley also had some big shots down the stretch.

    I think Downs will have the opportunity to be the best "pure" pg in Northern Kentucky next year. Shouldn't be that much of a stretch as he has been in top 5 in assists all season long. He has a good handle, distributes the ball and knocks down open shots. I think there are better all around guards but he will be as important to his teams success next season as any of those players.

    Give Coach McQueary credit for having a great game plan and his players for executing that plan. Way to beat Boone County is to get out to an early lead and force them to come out of that match up zone. Boones weakness is they are not a very good man to man team and that includes their guards. If they can sit in that zone and only have to guard a portion of the floor they can be very tough because you don't get a lot of second chance opportunities with Brown and Crabtree.

  6. #36
    Walter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 09
    Location
    Union, KY
    Posts
    15,450

    Quote Originally Posted by RomanEmpire View Post
    Walter, not sure why you are so reluctant to give credit to Downs for an outstanding game last night. He put on the best performance of the tournament thus far. I just get the feeling you are trying to bring his game last night down to a "good" game and he will never play like that again. Jefferson's triple double was also another great performance, not sure what the relevance is here though. I am not getting ahead of myself at all, just giving praise to a kid who put his team on his back and played his tail off. What's wrong with giving praise instead of trying to minimize a great performance? Nothing, absolutely nothing.
    I'v given Downs credit MORE THAN ONCE. I said he had an outstanding game last night and was the difference. How is that not giving him his proper due or praise?

    I'm sorry if I don't agree that it was "one for the ages."

    I brought Jefferson's performance up just to show you that while Downs absolutely played his tail off and carried his team, his performance last night wasn't "one for the ages." Heck, to show I'm not trying to bash the kid to bring down his performance against Holmes, I'd go as far as saying Demarko Foster's performance last year in the 9th finals against Holmes was more impressive than last night.

    Was Downs impressive? Absolutely. I'm just not ready to say the kid is the best point guard in the region because of ONE GAME. Nothing more, nothing less.

  7. #37
    Walter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 09
    Location
    Union, KY
    Posts
    15,450

    Quote Originally Posted by RomanEmpire View Post
    In late December you had Hayes ranked "1B" behind Brown from Boone in your top player rankings, right? Are you saying that Trammel has now passed Hayes on that list? Who won the Hayes/Downs battle last night?
    And I wasn't the only one who had my list that way...check the posts.

    Downs and Trammel are point guards...Hayes is a 2 guard. Comparing Apples to Oranges.

    I've said Downs was the most impressive player on the floor last night so what does Hayes have to do with anything? They weren't even matched up because Holmes plays a 2-3 zone so the only time Hayes was near him was during trapping situations. And if I remember correctly, a sophomore absolutely lit the Boone guards up last night. Should we say his performance as a sophomore was "one for the ages?"

  8. #38
    Walter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 09
    Location
    Union, KY
    Posts
    15,450

    Quote Originally Posted by LoveTheGame33 View Post
    Some of the boys from Dixie are very familiar with Downs and his play, played with him for years in AAU, this will be a great game to watch. The last time Boone played Dixie, it was without Downs AND Trammel had one of his better games of the year IMO. Looking forward to Saturday, it's going to be another close one.
    As always, LTG knows exactly what to say

    Was looking for you last night, but didn't see you?

  9. #39

    Join Date
    Sep 09
    Location
    Wherever I am needed.
    Posts
    6,281

    Quote Originally Posted by Walter View Post
    And I wasn't the only one who had my list that way...check the posts.

    Downs and Trammel are point guards...Hayes is a 2 guard. Comparing Apples to Oranges.

    I've said Downs was the most impressive player on the floor last night so what does Hayes have to do with anything? They weren't even matched up because Holmes plays a 2-3 zone so the only time Hayes was near him was during trapping situations. And if I remember correctly, a sophomore absolutely lit the Boone guards up last night. Should we say his performance as a sophomore was "one for the ages?"
    Now we're talking about one of my favorite players to watch. Q is a great player and had a great first half last night. Unfortunately, his second half dropped off a bit. Love to watch all of the Tarheels.

  10. #40

    Join Date
    Sep 09
    Location
    Wherever I am needed.
    Posts
    6,281

    Can someone please provide the schedule for tomorrow night?

  11. #41
    NKYBOY1487's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 04
    Posts
    3,064

    Ryle vs NCC 6pm
    Dixie vs Boone approx 730 or right after gm 1

  12. #42
    Walter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 09
    Location
    Union, KY
    Posts
    15,450

    Quote Originally Posted by RomanEmpire View Post
    Now we're talking about one of my favorite players to watch. Q is a great player and had a great first half last night. Unfortunately, his second half dropped off a bit. Love to watch all of the Tarheels.
    Quan is going to be a special player for the Dogs. I believe the 17 he had last night was a career high. Kid can light it up from outside. AS stated earlier, a backcourt of him and Coston is going to be very tough to handle over the next few years. Both can flat out stroke it from outside.

    Another player or two that has me excited about the Bulldogs future are two freshmen...Jamanti Wilson and Keyontae Herndon. From what I've heard, they are two more outstanding guards coming up through the ranks. Have seen Keyontae play several times this year at the JV level and he reminds me a lot of Duran Jefferson as a freshman, both in size and build.

  13. #43
    Walter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 09
    Location
    Union, KY
    Posts
    15,450

    Interesting note about the semi finals.

    Boone hasn't been to the state tournament since 1996.
    Dixie hasn't been to the state tournament since 1957.

    On the other side, both Ryle and Newcath have made state tourney appearances this decade with Newcath's coming in 2000 over Holmes and Ryle's coming in 02 with Doellman over Covcath.

Top