Sweet 16 Teams With Losing Records

Page 3 of Shelby Valley returns to the Sweet 16 this year with a 13-17 record. I know there have been others to have losing records. Rowan Co. and Scott Co. in t... 45 comments | 1803 Views | Go to page 1 →

  1. #31
    DragonFire's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 00
    Location
    Go home and be a family man.
    Posts
    33,266

    Quote Originally Posted by fullcourt View Post
    Less than half the teams in the NCAA tournament got their bid by winning their conference tournament. The rest get there based on their season performance. I would guarantee that every top twenty team that does not win their conference tournament will be playing in the NCAA Tournament. Example....If KY does not win the SEC Tournament, they will still be playing in the NCAA Tournament in a couple weeks.

    There are at least 6 of the top 10 teams in the state not playing in the Sweet 16 but a team with a losing record and probably wasn't ranked in the top 75 teams in the state is playing. Once again, not knocking Shelby Valley, they won their region and they won the right to be there. I just don't like the current format.

    I don't have a problem with the regional winners being there, I have a problem with the six top ten teams in the state not participating for the state championship.
    The very thing that makes them so good is why they aren't there. Those schools are in talent hotbeds like Louisville and Lexington. They reap the benefits of much larger populations and talent. It's only right they take the bad as well that they have to go through other top teams.
    Advertisement

  2. #32
    gchs_uk9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 02
    Posts
    22,637

    Quote Originally Posted by fullcourt View Post
    I don't have a problem with the regional winners being there, I have a problem with the six top ten teams in the state not participating for the state championship.
    When did they not get to participate for a state championship? The entire postseason is working toward a state championship. They had to finish in the top two in the district and then win the region. How many more chances should they get?

  3. #33
    statman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 09
    Location
    Covington, KY
    Posts
    2,995

    Quote Originally Posted by fullcourt View Post
    Less than half the teams in the NCAA tournament got their bid by winning their conference tournament. The rest get there based on their season performance. I would guarantee that every top twenty team that does not win their conference tournament will be playing in the NCAA Tournament. Example....If KY does not win the SEC Tournament, they will still be playing in the NCAA Tournament in a couple weeks.

    There are at least 6 of the top 10 teams in the state not playing in the Sweet 16 but a team with a losing record and probably wasn't ranked in the top 75 teams in the state is playing. Once again, not knocking Shelby Valley, they won their region and they won the right to be there. I just don't like the current format.

    I don't have a problem with the regional winners being there, I have a problem with the six top ten teams in the state not participating for the state championship.
    FC, I'm glad you said Top 20 instead of Top 25. I believe it was in 2004, that Utah State finished ranked in the Top 25 and did not make the NCAA tournament after losing in their conference tournament. They had a record of 25-3.

  4. #34
    fullcourt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 06
    Posts
    570

    Quote Originally Posted by gchs_uk9 View Post
    When did they not get to participate for a state championship? The entire postseason is working toward a state championship. They had to finish in the top two in the district and then win the region. How many more chances should they get?
    Only one can come out of a region. How many top 20 teams are in the 7th and 11th? I'll answer that.....At least 10, and actually there are 8 in the top 11! No matter how good or bad these teams play only 2 go to the Sweet Sixteen. I just think if you are going to have a state championship tournament, you should have the best teams in the state playing in it.

    With the current format, 7 of the top 11 teams in the state ARE NOT playing in the Sweet Sixteen!
    also...
    With the current format, only 6 of the top 20 teams in the state ARE playing in the Sweet Sixteen!

  5. #35

    Join Date
    Aug 01
    Location
    The last "big town" before you leave Kentucky ...
    Posts
    22,986

    Quote Originally Posted by fullcourt View Post
    I just think if you are going to have a state championship tournament, you should have the best teams in the state playing in it.
    They all played in it. Only some of them are still alive, though.

  6. #36
    sweet16's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 02
    Location
    The real WKY
    Posts
    22,476

    Quote Originally Posted by fullcourt View Post
    Less than half the teams in the NCAA tournament got their bid by winning their conference tournament. The rest get there based on their season performance. I would guarantee that every top twenty team that does not win their conference tournament will be playing in the NCAA Tournament. Example....If KY does not win the SEC Tournament, they will still be playing in the NCAA Tournament in a couple weeks.

    There are at least 6 of the top 10 teams in the state not playing in the Sweet 16 but a team with a losing record and probably wasn't ranked in the top 75 teams in the state is playing. Once again, not knocking Shelby Valley, they won their region and they won the right to be there. I just don't like the current format.

    I don't have a problem with the regional winners being there, I have a problem with the six top ten teams in the state not participating for the state championship.
    They participated but they didn't make it to the sweet 16.

  7. #37
    fullcourt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 06
    Posts
    570

    Quote Originally Posted by westsider View Post
    They all played in it. Only some of them are still alive, though.
    Quote Originally Posted by sweet16 View Post
    They participated but they didn't make it to the sweet 16.
    Not even going to comment!

  8. #38
    sweet16's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 02
    Location
    The real WKY
    Posts
    22,476

    Quote Originally Posted by fullcourt View Post
    Not even going to comment!
    Got to beat the best teams sometime. It may be in the districts, regionals or state.

    No system is perfect but everybody has a shot to win it.

  9. #39

    Join Date
    Aug 01
    Location
    The last "big town" before you leave Kentucky ...
    Posts
    22,986

    Quote Originally Posted by fullcourt View Post
    Not even going to comment!
    I'm not saying the system is equitable, but all of the teams that won't play in Rupp Arena next week that you are referring to had a chance they make it there. For various reasons, they came up short.

  10. #40
    fullcourt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 06
    Posts
    570

    Maybe this will help you to relate WHAT I'm saying.

    Pitt just got beat tonight by U Conn. Pitt is currently #3 in the nation. They didn't win their conference tournament. Yet they go to the NCAA Tournament and will be a #1 or 2 seed. The Big East will end up having 5-7 teams in the NCAA Tournament.

    Morehead won the OVC; they will be the only OVC team in the NCAA Tournament.

    I know the Sweet Sixteen is high school basketball. I would just like to see the best teams in the state playing for the state championship trophy. JMO

  11. #41
    Jim Schue's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 03
    Location
    Let me tell you something about hard times, brother!!!!
    Posts
    54,236

    Quote Originally Posted by fullcourt View Post
    Maybe this will help you to relate WHAT I'm saying.

    Pitt just got beat tonight by U Conn. Pitt is currently #3 in the nation. They don't win the conference tournament. Yet they go to the NCAA Tournament and will be a #1 or 2 seed. The Big East will end up having 5-7 teams in the NCAA Tournament.

    Morehead won the OVC; they will be the only OVC team in the NCAA Tournament.

    I know the Sweet Sixteen is high school basketball. I would just like to see the best teams in the state playing for the state championship trophy. JMO
    Perhaps the high school teams you weep for should think of the district/region like the NCAA tournament, instead of you thinking of the Sweet 16 as though it's the NCAA tournament.

  12. #42
    sweet16's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 02
    Location
    The real WKY
    Posts
    22,476

    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Schue View Post
    Perhaps the high school teams you weep for should think of the district/region like the NCAA tournament, instead of you thinking of the Sweet 16 as though it's the NCAA tournament.
    Very good point. The NCAA has a Sweet 16. the best teams are no always there but they had a chance to be just like every HS team has a chance to get there.

  13. #43
    sweet16's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 02
    Location
    The real WKY
    Posts
    22,476

    Quote Originally Posted by fullcourt View Post
    Maybe this will help you to relate WHAT I'm saying.

    Pitt just got beat tonight by U Conn. Pitt is currently #3 in the nation. They didn't win their conference tournament. Yet they go to the NCAA Tournament and will be a #1 or 2 seed. The Big East will end up having 5-7 teams in the NCAA Tournament.

    Morehead won the OVC; they will be the only OVC team in the NCAA Tournament.

    I know the Sweet Sixteen is high school basketball. I would just like to see the best teams in the state playing for the state championship trophy. JMO
    More like 10-11.

  14. #44

    Join Date
    Aug 01
    Location
    The last "big town" before you leave Kentucky ...
    Posts
    22,986

    Quote Originally Posted by fullcourt View Post
    Maybe this will help you to relate WHAT I'm saying.

    Pitt just got beat tonight by U Conn. Pitt is currently #3 in the nation. They didn't win their conference tournament. Yet they go to the NCAA Tournament and will be a #1 or 2 seed. The Big East will end up having 5-7 teams in the NCAA Tournament.

    Morehead won the OVC; they will be the only OVC team in the NCAA Tournament.

    I know the Sweet Sixteen is high school basketball. I would just like to see the best teams in the state playing for the state championship trophy. JMO
    We know exactly what you're saying ... I would like to see more of the best teams in the Sweet 16 myself. Being from the western edge of the state, I don't get to see many of them during the season.

    We are simply noting that they had a chance to make it to Rupp just like everyone else did.

  15. #45

    Join Date
    Dec 07
    Posts
    532

    Quote Originally Posted by fullcourt View Post
    I would just like to see the best teams in the state playing for the state championship trophy. JMO
    Playing for the state tournament starts with district and region, so every team in the state gets to play for the state championship trophy...

Top