St. Xavier (OH) 55 Covington Catholic 49

Page 2 of Final from North Bend Rd. Advertisement 0 0 0    ... 57 comments | 4787 Views | Go to page 1 →

  1. #16

    Join Date
    Dec 17
    Posts
    1,534

    Quote Originally Posted by bjknku02 View Post
    He was out with a concussion he suffered in Lex Cath game, I believe.
    Are you saying he has been playing all season with a concussion?
    Advertisement

  2. #17

    Join Date
    Feb 19
    Location
    NKY
    Posts
    29

    So was the 7 footer out? His presence alone probably changes this game.

  3. #18
    Colonels_Wear_Blue's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 09
    Location
    Colonel Country
    Posts
    44,716

    Quote Originally Posted by GoBucks97 View Post
    So was the 7 footer out? His presence alone probably changes this game.
    Yes, Noah Hupmann, who is good for 5 pts/5 rebs per game, is out with mono. Reece Murphy was in his first game back after having appendicitis. He had averaged 5 pts per game prior to last night, where he had none. That's a big difference in the team's performance right there.

    This was a tough game on the road against a solid team, and was Cov Cath's 3rd game in 5 days. Cincinnati teams - especially GCL teams - have all realized they have to bring the A-game of their A-games against Cov Cath on the the gridiron and on the court, so Cov Cath can always count on getting a battle.

    And for the folks who think refs in Cincinnati basketball don't definitely prefer to see Kentucky teams lose to their home teams, your teams haven't been playing enough competition across the river. I'm not about to put last night's loss on the refs, but they sure didn't make things easier on Cov Cath, that's for sure.

  4. #19

    Join Date
    May 07
    Posts
    820

    Quote Originally Posted by 4 Quarters View Post
    Are you saying he has been playing all season with a concussion?
    No, he is just returning to action from suffering the injury. I believe this was his 3rd game back.

  5. #20
    cincyswords's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 19
    Posts
    81

    Quote Originally Posted by Colonels_Wear_Blue View Post
    Yes, Noah Hupmann, who is good for 5 pts/5 rebs per game, is out with mono. Reece Murphy was in his first game back after having appendicitis. He had averaged 5 pts per game prior to last night, where he had none. That's a big difference in the team's performance right there.

    This was a tough game on the road against a solid team, and was Cov Cath's 3rd game in 5 days. Cincinnati teams - especially GCL teams - have all realized they have to bring the A-game of their A-games against Cov Cath on the the gridiron and on the court, so Cov Cath can always count on getting a battle.

    And for the folks who think refs in Cincinnati basketball don't definitely prefer to see Kentucky teams lose to their home teams, your teams haven't been playing enough competition across the river. I'm not about to put last night's loss on the refs, but they sure didn't make things easier on Cov Cath, that's for sure.
    Not a CovCath follower much but there is definitely an issue for KY. schools when they cross the river. Play is much more physical.

  6. #21
    Colonels_Wear_Blue's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 09
    Location
    Colonel Country
    Posts
    44,716

    Quote Originally Posted by longballers View Post
    Not a fan of blaming refs. 2 greats teams battled it out tonight. Great game.
    @longballers you clicked dislike on @The Double Deuce's post and on mine. I'm assuming, based the quoted post, that you disagree with any and all sentiment that indicates anything negative to do with officiating in a game?

  7. #22

    Join Date
    Feb 19
    Posts
    21

    Yes, I disagree on the officiating. It is more about the style of play to me. It's much more physical across the river for some reason. As a result, less fouls are called (both ways) in my opinion.

  8. #23
    REALSPORT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 17
    Posts
    77

    Quote Originally Posted by Colonels_Wear_Blue View Post
    @longballers you clicked dislike on @The Double Deuce's post and on mine. I'm assuming, based the quoted post, that you disagree with any and all sentiment that indicates anything negative to do with officiating in a game?
    It's been my experience that it's almost always the losing team (fans) that put blame on the officials. You rarely hear, "we won by 10 but if it hadn't been for those damn refs we would have won by 20".

    Also, people that blame refs have typically never officiated a game in their lives.

    My main point is, there are questionable calls that go both ways. Why can't people say that the winning team was just better that day?

  9. #24
    The Double Deuce's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 18
    Posts
    1,809

    Quote Originally Posted by longballers View Post
    Yes, I disagree on the officiating. It is more about the style of play to me. It's much more physical across the river for some reason. As a result, less fouls are called (both ways) in my opinion.
    Did you open the box score from last night?

  10. #25
    theguru's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 00
    Location
    Florence
    Posts
    155,294

    Quote Originally Posted by REALSPORT View Post
    It's been my experience that it's almost always the losing team (fans) that put blame on the officials. You rarely hear, "we won by 10 but if it hadn't been for those damn refs we would have won by 20".

    Also, people that blame refs have typically never officiated a game in their lives.

    My main point is, there are questionable calls that go both ways. Why can't people say that the winning team was just better that day?
    What fun would that be!

  11. #26
    The Double Deuce's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 18
    Posts
    1,809

    Quote Originally Posted by REALSPORT View Post
    It's been my experience that it's almost always the losing team (fans) that put blame on the officials. You rarely hear, "we won by 10 but if it hadn't been for those damn refs we would have won by 20".

    Also, people that blame refs have typically never officiated a game in their lives.

    My main point is, there are questionable calls that go both ways. Why can't people say that the winning team was just better that day?
    No one said CovCath lost because of the officials, my post, which unbelievably raked in dislikes as if I had kicked a baby, was simply that Ohio refs take care of their own. That is a fact. Sounds like CovCath lost last night because their inability to stay patient defensively while St. Xavier methodically worked it around. I never said CovCath lost because of the refs, I said you always get a tough whistle in Ohio as an out-of-state team. I'm sure the same is true, to some degree, when they cross into Kentucky.

    I didn't, and am not, blaming the loss on the refs.

  12. #27

    Join Date
    Feb 19
    Posts
    21

    Quote Originally Posted by The Double Deuce View Post
    Did you open the box score from last night?
    Yes, I did see it. I believe that was a function of the game too. CCH was down 8 points or so going into the 4th and had to foul a lot since X was holding the ball.

  13. #28
    theguru's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 00
    Location
    Florence
    Posts
    155,294

    Quote Originally Posted by The Double Deuce View Post
    Did you open the box score from last night?
    Was there a prize inside?

  14. #29
    The Double Deuce's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 18
    Posts
    1,809

    Quote Originally Posted by theguru View Post
    Was there a prize inside?
    Yes, an anchor tattoo that wears off after 4 days.

  15. #30
    theguru's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 00
    Location
    Florence
    Posts
    155,294

    Quote Originally Posted by The Double Deuce View Post
    No one said CovCath lost because of the officials, my post, which unbelievably raked in dislikes as if I had kicked a baby, was simply that Ohio refs take care of their own. That is a fact. Sounds like CovCath lost last night because their inability to stay patient defensively while St. Xavier methodically worked it around. I never said CovCath lost because of the refs, I said you always get a tough whistle in Ohio as an out-of-state team. I'm sure the same is true, to some degree, when they cross into Kentucky.

    I didn't, and am not, blaming the loss on the refs.
    In a manner of speaking you did, you kicked all the anti-CCH peeps.

Top