Open Job: Nelson County

  1. #1
    Colonels_Wear_Blue's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 09
    Location
    Colonel Country
    Posts
    45,721

    Open Job: Nelson County

    The job was posted to the school district's site on Tuesday. Zach Allender was head coach for the Cardinals for the past four seasons.
    Advertisement

  2. #2

    Join Date
    Nov 19
    Posts
    25

    Does anyone know who wants this job??

  3. #3

    Join Date
    Jul 15
    Posts
    842

    Quote Originally Posted by 5th-Region View Post
    Does anyone know who wants this job??
    Small county. 4 high schools. No open enrollment. It’s a tough one.

  4. #4

    Join Date
    Nov 19
    Posts
    25

    Nelson is one of the locations that hosts region, and I believe the right coach can be 2nd place in that district. It’s always going to be Bardstown in the finals.

  5. #5

    Join Date
    May 15
    Posts
    567

    Tough job since Thomas Nelson opened they take a lot of kids who otherwise would go to Nelson County.

  6. #6
    Nathaniel Bryan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 15
    Location
    @NateInSports
    Posts
    1,013

    Quote Originally Posted by ACfan4 View Post
    Tough job since Thomas Nelson opened they take a lot of kids who otherwise would go to Nelson County.
    That works both ways.

    Nelson boys were never a 5th Region power, even before the split. They were always chasing Bardstown, both schools coming from the 17th, and the 20th District champ (Adair in 2000s, Taylor rise in 2010s).

    However, Collins split off from Shelby and you could argue Shelby has been the better school.

    Same for South Warren splitting from Warren Central/Greenwood.

  7. #7

    Join Date
    Nov 18
    Posts
    10

    Quote Originally Posted by Nathaniel Bryan View Post
    That works both ways.

    Nelson boys were never a 5th Region power, even before the split. They were always chasing Bardstown, both schools coming from the 17th, and the 20th District champ (Adair in 2000s, Taylor rise in 2010s).

    However, Collins split off from Shelby and you could argue Shelby has been the better school.

    Same for South Warren splitting from Warren Central/Greenwood.
    Since Shelby County has split, Collins has had more success in boys basketball.

  8. #8
    DragonFire's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 00
    Location
    Go home and be a family man.
    Posts
    33,267

    Quote Originally Posted by Nathaniel Bryan View Post
    That works both ways.

    Nelson boys were never a 5th Region power, even before the split. They were always chasing Bardstown, both schools coming from the 17th, and the 20th District champ (Adair in 2000s, Taylor rise in 2010s).

    However, Collins split off from Shelby and you could argue Shelby has been the better school.

    Same for South Warren splitting from Warren Central/Greenwood.
    That used to be the order of the day, that schools that split off were not really great while the school they split from was mostly fine, at least in the initial stages. In basketball, I'd say that's mostly still the case, although I don't agree Shelby has been better. In football, well, that's another matter for a lot of these.

    I'd judge in the last 25 years that there have been eight applicable cases, where one school was carved out of pieces of other schools with the existing schools still there to compare to. Great Crossing is too early to make a true judgment on, as is Frederick Douglass (Henry Clay has been competitive, but we're still within the part where we may not have seen full extent yet). So that leaves six schools: Thomas Nelson (took from Bardstown and Nelson County), Collins (split from Shelby County), South Warren (took majority from Greenwood but some from Warren Central), Cooper (took from Boone, Ryle, and Conner, but mostly Conner), North Oldham (took from Oldham County and South Oldham), and John Hardin (took from Central Hardin, North Hardin, and Fort Knox). Of that entire group, John Hardin had by far the biggest impact on who they were carved from. John Hardin has five region titles since opening while North Hardin has only the one once you got past the initial easing in - they'd won three in a row right before and immediately after John Hardin opened. Collins has been a power, and has won two region titles while Shelby County has none since the split. Cooper has a single region title - Conner wasn't exactly a power before and Boone County has matched that. The rest are probably limiting what the schools they were carved from can do (North Oldham hasn't won a title but they're taking some kids, Greenwood has definitely been hurt by South, but South has done nothing).

    I think Thomas Nelson probably doesn't help the matter for Nelson County, but as Nate said, it wasn't exactly a job to flock to in the first place.

  9. #9
    Nathaniel Bryan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 15
    Location
    @NateInSports
    Posts
    1,013

    Quote Originally Posted by Hornets22 View Post
    Since Shelby County has split, Collins has had more success in boys basketball.
    Yup. Mis-typed.

    Meant Collins.

    Collins boys hoops and girls CC/track has been solid.

    On the flip side, Central Hardin's top achievements (baseball state title, girls bowling state title, girls golf state title, runner-up finish in girls bowling, final four in football, final four in softball, elite 8s in soccer) came AFTER John Hardin opened.

    The newer school can have more success (see Collins over Shelby).
    The former school can still shine (see Central Hardin vs. John Hardin).

  10. #10
    Nathaniel Bryan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 15
    Location
    @NateInSports
    Posts
    1,013

    Quote Originally Posted by DragonFire View Post
    That used to be the order of the day, that schools that split off were not really great while the school they split from was mostly fine, at least in the initial stages. In basketball, I'd say that's mostly still the case, although I don't agree Shelby has been better. In football, well, that's another matter for a lot of these.

    I'd judge in the last 25 years that there have been eight applicable cases, where one school was carved out of pieces of other schools with the existing schools still there to compare to. Great Crossing is too early to make a true judgment on, as is Frederick Douglass (Henry Clay has been competitive, but we're still within the part where we may not have seen full extent yet). So that leaves six schools: Thomas Nelson (took from Bardstown and Nelson County), Collins (split from Shelby County), South Warren (took majority from Greenwood but some from Warren Central), Cooper (took from Boone, Ryle, and Conner, but mostly Conner), North Oldham (took from Oldham County and South Oldham), and John Hardin (took from Central Hardin, North Hardin, and Fort Knox). Of that entire group, John Hardin had by far the biggest impact on who they were carved from. John Hardin has five region titles since opening while North Hardin has only the one once you got past the initial easing in - they'd won three in a row right before and immediately after John Hardin opened. Collins has been a power, and has won two region titles while Shelby County has none since the split. Cooper has a single region title - Conner wasn't exactly a power before and Boone County has matched that. The rest are probably limiting what the schools they were carved from can do (North Oldham hasn't won a title but they're taking some kids, Greenwood has definitely been hurt by South, but South has done nothing).

    I think Thomas Nelson probably doesn't help the matter for Nelson County, but as Nate said, it wasn't exactly a job to flock to in the first place.
    Thomas Nelson pulled from Nelson County (public).
    Bardstown is Independent. Don't think Bardstown lost much to Thomas Nelson.

    And John Hardin pulled from North Hardin and Central Hardin.
    Current Attorney General Daniel Cameron was at Central Hardin before going to John.

  11. #11

    Join Date
    Dec 08
    Posts
    21,995

    Quote Originally Posted by Nathaniel Bryan View Post
    That works both ways.

    Nelson boys were never a 5th Region power, even before the split. They were always chasing Bardstown, both schools coming from the 17th, and the 20th District champ (Adair in 2000s, Taylor rise in 2010s).

    However, Collins split off from Shelby and you could argue Shelby has been the better school.

    Same for South Warren splitting from Warren Central/Greenwood.
    I assume you typed that bold part backwards, was just kidding, or maybe overall. Since this is was posted in the basketball thread I don't see anyway someone could say that Shelby Co. has been the better school.

    Here are the numbers: In the past 10 years since Collins has became a high school
    Overall records: Collins 225-101 Shelby Co. 101-192 (only 3 winning seasons)
    Head to head: Collins leads the series 3-26 (all 3 wins came in 2 seasons)

  12. #12
    Jim Schue's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 03
    Location
    Let me tell you something about hard times, brother!!!!
    Posts
    54,236

    Quote Originally Posted by Nathaniel Bryan View Post
    Thomas Nelson pulled from Nelson County (public).
    Bardstown is Independent. Don't think Bardstown lost much to Thomas Nelson.

    And John Hardin pulled from North Hardin and Central Hardin.
    Current Attorney General Daniel Cameron was at Central Hardin before going to John.
    Actually, Bardstown gained enrollment from the split. If you look back, that's right around the time Bardstown got too big for All A Classic participation. They got a good enrollment bump from parents who didn't want their kids to get caught up in the split and be forced to go to TNHS.

  13. #13
    gchs_uk9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 02
    Posts
    22,641

    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Schue View Post
    Actually, Bardstown gained enrollment from the split. If you look back, that's right around the time Bardstown got too big for All A Classic participation. They got a good enrollment bump from parents who didn't want their kids to get caught up in the split and be forced to go to TNHS.
    And the Nelson County split came at a time when the county was expecting to grow due to an influx of people to Fort Knox, along with other prevailing growth. None of that ended up happening, which meant they split a medium/large school that struggled at times to compete into two medium sized schools that haven't been very competitive at all, at least in boys basketball and football.

  14. #14
    gchs_uk9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 02
    Posts
    22,641

    Quote Originally Posted by Nathaniel Bryan View Post
    That works both ways.

    Nelson boys were never a 5th Region power, even before the split. They were always chasing Bardstown, both schools coming from the 17th, and the 20th District champ (Adair in 2000s, Taylor rise in 2010s).
    Very good point. Nelson boys have never won the 5th Region and have only twice made the finals, losing in 1992 and 1993.

  15. #15
    Nathaniel Bryan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 15
    Location
    @NateInSports
    Posts
    1,013

    Quote Originally Posted by gchs_uk9 View Post
    And the Nelson County split came at a time when the county was expecting to grow due to an influx of people to Fort Knox, along with other prevailing growth. None of that ended up happening, which meant they split a medium/large school that struggled at times to compete into two medium sized schools that haven't been very competitive at all, at least in boys basketball and football.
    Agreed.

    Meade, which also has some ties to Knox, has done everything in its power to stay as one school.

    Yet Nelson (which already had two options for potential students to bolt to) split.
    And some in this case chose a different district than do the "stay or go" with NC/TN.

Top