Next Basketball Realignment

  1. #1

    Next Basketball Realignment

    When will the next Boys basketball realignment take place? Will there be a big shakeup like last time?
    Advertisement

  2. #2
    gchs_uk9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 02
    Posts
    22,525

    Quote Originally Posted by Old Soda
    When will the next Boys basketball realignment take place? Will there be a big shakeup like last time?
    Its not on any type of schedule. The last realignment two years ago was the first major change since the early 1980s, I believe. I wouldn't look for any major changes, although the KHSAA might have to do something to offset the closing of Providence in Region 2.

  3. #3
    thewaterboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 07
    Location
    Deep in the 'woods
    Posts
    864

    IMO Lexington region (11th) needs to be split, it would mean more money for the KHSAA (lexington and louisville schools traditionally bring in more revenue with large crowds) and it would also spread out a loaded region but name the Sweet 17 just doesn't sound right!

  4. #4
    BGGreen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 03
    Location
    Northern KY
    Posts
    3,572

    Quote Originally Posted by Old Soda
    When will the next Boys basketball realignment take place? Will there be a big shakeup like last time?
    We've already got three regions represented here in NKY, I sure hope the "powers-to-be" wouldn't introduce another??

  5. #5

    Join Date
    Dec 06
    Posts
    1,334

    I wouldn't expect it in the near future but Williamsburg would appreciate if it were in the near future.

  6. #6

    Join Date
    Jul 01
    Location
    Harlan, Kentucky, USA
    Posts
    4,554

    I thought there was supposed to be another realignment after four years. It's not fair in the 15th where they have two three-team districts in everything but boys basketball, and I hear one of the two will be a three-team district in everything this year

  7. #7

    Join Date
    Aug 01
    Location
    The last "big town" before you leave Kentucky ...
    Posts
    22,986

    I was under the impression that the alignmnent is a year-to-year thing, subject to change based on consolidations and new school openings. Just this year, the KHSAA moved Community Christian to another district to ensure that each Region 1 district had four teams.

  8. #8

    Join Date
    Jan 06
    Location
    "Americans have the will to resist because you have weapons. If you don't have a gun, freedom of speech has no power."
    Posts
    3,428

    Quote Originally Posted by HDE
    I thought there was supposed to be another realignment after four years. It's not fair in the 15th where they have two three-team districts in everything but boys basketball, and I hear one of the two will be a three-team district in everything this year

    Problem with the 15th is your going to have a 3 team district no matter what

    57th
    Johnson Central
    Sheldon Clark
    Lawrence County
    Paintsville
    Magoffin County

    58th
    Allen Central
    South Floyd
    Betsy Layne
    Prestonsburg

    59th
    East Ridge
    Pikeville
    Shelby Valley
    David School

    60th
    Phelps
    Pike Central
    Belfry
    Piarist

    You could move on of the 57th teams but you would still basically have a 3 team district somewhere.

  9. #9

    Join Date
    Jul 01
    Location
    Harlan, Kentucky, USA
    Posts
    4,554

    Quote Originally Posted by westsider
    I was under the impression that the alignmnent is a year-to-year thing, subject to change based on consolidations and new school openings. Just this year, the KHSAA moved Community Christian to another district to ensure that each Region 1 district had four teams.

    I was told they wouldn't do anything until the alignment was in effect for two years. They discussed doing something to remedy the six-team district in the 52nd District but didn't. I guess the Community Christian situation was an easy fix that didn't disturb anyone else.

    The 15th could be fixed easily. Just move a couple of teams from the 14th.

  10. #10

    Join Date
    Jul 01
    Location
    Harlan, Kentucky, USA
    Posts
    4,554

    I heard David School wasn't going to have a girls or boys team this year. Districts with those teams (David, Piarist) should have five teams because you never know if they are going to play.

  11. #11

    Join Date
    Jan 06
    Location
    "Americans have the will to resist because you have weapons. If you don't have a gun, freedom of speech has no power."
    Posts
    3,428

    Quote Originally Posted by HDE
    I was told they wouldn't do anything until the alignment was in effect for two years. They discussed doing something to remedy the six-team district in the 52nd District but didn't. I guess the Community Christian situation was an easy fix that didn't disturb anyone else.

    The 15th could be fixed easily. Just move a couple of teams from the 14th.

    You could move one but you only have 17 teams in the 14th same as the 15th.

    Who would you move? LCC?

  12. #12
    gchs_uk9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 02
    Posts
    22,525

    Quote Originally Posted by JD If U Please
    You could move one but you only have 17 teams in the 14th same as the 15th.

    Who would you move? LCC?
    If LCC were moved, I would imagine Jenkins would be included in a package deal.

  13. #13
    The Professor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 04
    Location
    Sag Hollow
    Posts
    21,783

    Quote Originally Posted by HDE
    I was told they wouldn't do anything until the alignment was in effect for two years. They discussed doing something to remedy the six-team district in the 52nd District but didn't. I guess the Community Christian situation was an easy fix that didn't disturb anyone else.

    The 15th could be fixed easily. Just move a couple of teams from the 14th.
    Jenkins from the 14th would be a good fit for the 15th. It sits in the far eastern part of Letcher County, and is about a 20 minute drive to Pikeville.

  14. #14

    Join Date
    Jul 06
    Location
    Eastern Kentucky
    Posts
    1,113

    I would like to see Jenkins moved to the 15th, and Allen Central moved to the 14th. If they are doing things by mapping, that is only logical. They could move Jenkins and Letcher Central, and move in Allen Central.

    Would also like them to get Powell and Estill out of the 14th region. That is way to far to ask people to travel for games here in Eastern Ky. From Estill to Jenkins it's probably over 4 hours on a bus. That is totally ridiculous. They could get rid of Powell and Estill county and move in Clay and Oneida like they talked about the first time around. That would make a lot more sense.

    They are going to have to do something, more schools are consolidating after this year I'm pretty sure. They can't leave it like it is.

  15. #15

    Join Date
    Jul 01
    Location
    Harlan, Kentucky, USA
    Posts
    4,554

    Clay County didn't want to move. Harlan County is surrounded by the 14th Region, bordered by Leslie, Letcher and Perry counties.

Top