N. Ky. Basketball All Stars

Page 2 of Not to highjack your thread, but if the McCormick rumor is true, I want to be the first to list him as 9th region player of the year in 2011-2012.... 35 comments | 2562 Views | Go to page 1 →

  1. #16
    Walter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 09
    Location
    Union, KY
    Posts
    15,450

    What happened to Ernst? I know I'm probably extremely late. I knew he wasn't covering sports for the Enquirer, but never knew why?
    Advertisement

  2. #17

    Join Date
    May 09
    Posts
    1,148

    Quote Originally Posted by Walter View Post
    What happened to Ernst? I know I'm probably extremely late. I knew he wasn't covering sports for the Enquirer, but never knew why?
    I thought I read where he left the Enquirer to pursue another opportunity.

  3. #18
    NEERFAN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 01
    Location
    Contest Stalwart per mcpapa
    Posts
    35,976

    Quote Originally Posted by Walter View Post
    What happened to Ernst? I know I'm probably extremely late. I knew he wasn't covering sports for the Enquirer, but never knew why?
    He left the business.

  4. #19

    Join Date
    Jul 03
    Location
    Northern Ky.
    Posts
    5,164

    Quote Originally Posted by Allen View Post
    I think it did... I don't think coaches had any say in this list!
    You're wrong. Next.

  5. #20
    Qryche11's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 06
    Location
    Fort Thomas
    Posts
    24,521

    IMO Crowley and Stewart are very very solid picks for honorable mention but some of the others on HM arent even in the same league as those two guys.

    First Team is solid though.

  6. #21

    Join Date
    May 09
    Posts
    1,148

    Quote Originally Posted by Qryche11 View Post
    IMO Crowley and Stewart are very very solid picks for honorable mention but some of the others on HM arent even in the same league as those two guys.

    First Team is solid though.
    I honestly don't know who 10 of the players are on the HM list.

    Dixie wins the 9th Region Championship and where are Stansberry and Hassell?

    Nate McGovney from Campbell? Tate Mullins from Ryle? Cooper Downs and Chase Stanley from Boone?

    Word on the street is that Skinner was the mastermind behind this masterpiece.

  7. #22
    Voice of Reason's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 08
    Location
    N. KY.
    Posts
    34,249

    Quote Originally Posted by Solomon View Post
    I honestly don't know who 10 of the players are on the HM list.

    Dixie wins the 9th Region Championship and where are Stansberry and Hassell?

    Nate McGovney from Campbell? Tate Mullins from Ryle? Cooper Downs and Chase Stanley from Boone?

    Word on the street is that Skinner was the mastermind behind this masterpiece.
    I believe there is zero chance that Skinner put that together. It says right at the top of the page that Mike Dyer compiled the teams.

  8. #23

    Join Date
    Jul 03
    Location
    Northern Ky.
    Posts
    5,164

    We're all pretty much in agreement that the HM's lead to a lot of head scratching. And I'm not going to play apologist for the Enquirer, but in this case you have to give their staff, Dyer, Skinner, et al. a break. They didn't select the HM team, the coaches did.

    How else do you explain Beechwood going 0-12 outside of D-III and still have four HM members? Dayton goes 5-20 overall, and has three on HM. How many times do you think any Enquirer rep even saw Dayton play?

    Isn't it more likely that area coaches were asked for nominations for the all-star team? Some coaches look at this as a chance to showcase their program, while others look at it as an obligation to name only the guys they think deserve mention. Thus, Dayton's coach nominates three, and Holy Cross' coach nominates one. Just different schools of thought, I guess.

    Dyer then gets the list, looks at stats, and likely seeks input from a few collegues. He then selects the team, and all coaches nominees make HM. Pretty simple path to follow really. Oh, and the byline was:

    SELECTED BY MIKE DYER ON RECOMMENDATIONS FROM AREA COACHES

    It's in all caps, because that's how it was listed in the paper. I bolded the coaches part for those who's tools aren't the sharpest.

  9. #24

    Join Date
    Jul 03
    Location
    Northern Ky.
    Posts
    5,164

    Quote Originally Posted by Allen View Post
    I think it did... I don't think coaches had any say in this list!
    You sure? Check post 23, or look at the paper itself!

  10. #25

    Join Date
    May 09
    Posts
    1,148

    Just so I understand the logic. The Enquirer basically doesn't have enough knowledge and/or doesn't want to put the effort into coming up with a reasonable list of NKY players. So they send out surveys to all the coaches??? That's laughable. Then the mastermind(s) just copy names from the surveys and print them????

  11. #26
    Qryche11's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 06
    Location
    Fort Thomas
    Posts
    24,521

    I would say some of us posters on here have more knowledge than the Enquirer writers but that goes without saying.

    We all disagree about particular kids but in the grand scheme of things it doesnt really matter. Who is going to remember this list in 6 months? Not me. i am going to be looking forward to next season beginning and following the kids that I know have shown that they are the top players by what they have done in games this past season. I will also look forward to watching the kdis who come out of nowhere and are in gyms this morning shooting 500 jump shots and working on their game.

  12. #27

    Join Date
    May 11
    Posts
    470

    Quote Originally Posted by Voice of Reason View Post
    That explains it. Good job getting that info out to everyone. I actually kind of like the fact that these other players who received Academic and Hustle awards get honorable mention.

    However, that doesn't explain how some deserving players did not receive honorable mention.

    As to Fangman not making first team, I have to agree that he should have been there. Last year, did the kid from Villa who was the scorer make first team? If he made it last year then Fangman definitely should have made it this year.

    Your last two sentences are EXACTLY what I was thinking. I dont know that if you take the top, or absolute BEST, players in Northern Kentucky that Tyler Fangman makes that 1st team list. He is definitely an honorable mention and a really good player/scorer. However, most of the true first teamers did their work with other significant talent on the team. Not that Beechwood doesn't have talent, but Fangman always seemed to be one of the only options.

  13. #28

    Join Date
    May 11
    Posts
    470

    Quote Originally Posted by Solomon View Post
    I honestly don't know who 10 of the players are on the HM list.

    Dixie wins the 9th Region Championship and where are Stansberry and Hassell?

    Nate McGovney from Campbell? Tate Mullins from Ryle? Cooper Downs and Chase Stanley from Boone?

    Word on the street is that Skinner was the mastermind behind this masterpiece.

    IMO Nate McGovney and Tate Mullins should have definitely been an honorable mention. No doubt. Maybe even Stanley from Boone County with his STRONG play after Montgomery went down. I do not believe however that Downs is there just yet. It used to seem that Downs would rise into that class of Smith (Scott), Trammel (Dixie), Losey (Campbell), Flesch (Conner) of this year. IMO Mullins has surpassed his play on the floor and may be one of the better junior pg's. Certainly not to say that Downs isn't good, he is, I guess I have just been expecting more of him because I've heard so much about him since his freshman year.

  14. #29

    Join Date
    May 08
    Posts
    91,216

    Fangman: Solid player. Streaky.

    Honorable Mention seems right.

  15. #30

    Join Date
    May 11
    Posts
    470

    Quote Originally Posted by Qryche11 View Post
    I would say some of us posters on here have more knowledge than the Enquirer writers but that goes without saying.

    We all disagree about particular kids but in the grand scheme of things it doesnt really matter. Who is going to remember this list in 6 months? Not me. i am going to be looking forward to next season beginning and following the kids that I know have shown that they are the top players by what they have done in games this past season. I will also look forward to watching the kdis who come out of nowhere and are in gyms this morning shooting 500 jump shots and working on their game.

    How many kids do you think are actually doing that (500 jump shots)?? I mean, I love the sound of it as it seems that some kids don't work nearly as hard as they used to. And, it just seems that many of the fundamentals have left the amateur game.

Top