Mike Listerman Steps Down at Covington Catholic

Page 8 of Originally Posted by TAC I agree they will not contribute next year, but I was referencing the next few years. The kid that impressed me most was Radcl... 140 comments | 15814 Views | Go to page 1 →

  1. #106
    bulldog77's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 01
    Location
    No. Ky.
    Posts
    3,248

    Quote Originally Posted by Flotsam View Post
    Sorry to see Coach L. move on from the position of head coach (glad to see he is remaining on the faculty). He will be missed. One of the many things I admire about Coach L. is the respect and attention he showed all of his students (not just the players). A very good guy. Best of luck in all future endeavors.
    Allow me to add his respect for all of his opponents and collegues as well. Coach Listerman is absolutely one of the classiest men in the coaching ranks today. I'll never forget the respect shown toward us at the Regional basketball tournament by Coach Listerman when virtually all others questioned our being there. I think we all, as sportsmen, are losing out with Mike's resignation.
    Advertisement

  2. #107
    StickerMann's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 07
    Location
    Sitting down in Central KY, still enjoying the run!!
    Posts
    3,366

    Quote Originally Posted by kinglouie View Post
    Ummm ok - if you say so. However, if this were true, the AD would no longer be the AD.
    I'll happily stick by my statement, but can't speak to your obvious personal issues with the AD. Principal Rowe has made some significant changes in the short time he's been in charge, and will get the basketball coaching hire done correctly, although it may not fit everyone's timeframe?

  3. #108

    Join Date
    May 08
    Posts
    91,216

    Quote Originally Posted by Colonels_Wear_Blue View Post
    Side Note: Next alumni get-together is tomorrow evening at 7:00 in the Griffin Building. Art teacher Tim Haders
    Is Tim going to be explaining how he pitches the whiffle ball so well? Legendary!

  4. #109

    Join Date
    Feb 09
    Location
    NKY
    Posts
    2,453

    Quote Originally Posted by StickerMann View Post
    I'll happily stick by my statement, but can't speak to your obvious personal issues with the AD. Principal Rowe has made some significant changes in the short time he's been in charge, and will get the basketball coaching hire done correctly, although it may not fit everyone's timeframe?
    Yes my issues have been with the AD for a while now. I do not have near as much experience dealing with Rowe so if you all say he wants a winner on the field as much as in the classroom fine, but my dealings with him the first year he was here, I did not get that impression. But as for the AD I have heard and seen too many instances in his actions and words to get me to see this otherwise. I would have hoped by now Rowe would have seen this as well.

  5. #110

    Join Date
    Jan 09
    Location
    It's not where I live, It's what I live for
    Posts
    16,347

    Quote Originally Posted by kinglouie View Post
    Yes my issues have been with the AD for a while now. I do not have near as much experience dealing with Rowe so if you all say he wants a winner on the field as much as in the classroom fine, but my dealings with him the first year he was here, I did not get that impression. But as for the AD I have heard and seen too many instances in his actions and words to get me to see this otherwise. I would have hoped by now Rowe would have seen this as well.
    I'm wondering how your dealings with the guidance counselor or your sons teachers have been? Geez, you don't like the AD or the principals approach to sports, are you happy with your sons education? Bob Rowe is a very competitive man and takes great pride in his sports programs. Keep in mind his primary focus is and should be, EDUCATION. Sports are extra curricular activities. We often tend to forget why we send our kids to school. It is not for sports, it is for their education. Cov Cath continues to perform well inside the classroom. Mr. Rowe will make a wise choice that brings a good coach and an ambassador to the school.

  6. #111

    Join Date
    Feb 09
    Location
    NKY
    Posts
    2,453

    Quote Originally Posted by TAC View Post
    I'm wondering how your dealings with the guidance counselor or your sons teachers have been? Geez, you don't like the AD or the principals approach to sports, are you happy with your sons education? Bob Rowe is a very competitive man and takes great pride in his sports programs. Keep in mind his primary focus is and should be, EDUCATION. Sports are extra curricular activities. We often tend to forget why we send our kids to school. It is not for sports, it is for their education. Cov Cath continues to perform well inside the classroom. Mr. Rowe will make a wise choice that brings a good coach and an ambassador to the school.
    I am very happy with the education my sons have rec'd at Covington Catholic and have no complaints whatsoever in the academic area. In fact, that is why my sons have gone to Covington Catholic. I also agree that Education should be, and is the focus of Mr Rowe. My point is that if Cov Cath wants to excel in Athletics, I do not believe the current AD is the guy for the job. My only point against Rowe is that if he truly wants Cov Cath to be as good as they can be on the field, then there are some things that I think he needs to do better, one of which IMO is change AD's. I also know that I am not the only one who feels that way as I have heard other parents saying the same thing. A basic example - How many believe that the shooting machines that the basketball players use, are helpful? Most I would think feel they are very helpful. IMO, a team certainly could use more than one. In the current AD's opinion - he wishes they didn't even have the one they have as it is always in the way! I and others heard him make the comment, and similar ones to that on multiple occasions. There are other examples I could give pertaining to basketball and other sports which I do not want to get into here. It is obvious that most on here do not feel the same way that I do, which is fine. I also know that there are others maybe not on here who feel the same way I do. I have only been involved in Cov Cath sports for the last 6 or 7 years, maybe that is not long enough to formulate a good opinion. Who knows. I am sure that Mr Rowe will select a good coach, and someone who is good for the school. I just hope though that the coach is given the authority and tools he needs to improve the overall success of the program.

  7. #112

    Join Date
    May 08
    Posts
    91,216

    I've never been one to think high school ADs have much of an influence - positive or negative - on the program. While there may be exceptions it's generally an administrative role. Principals seem to be the role that has the influence.

  8. #113

    Join Date
    Dec 05
    Posts
    19,923

    Quote Originally Posted by kinglouie View Post
    I am very happy with the education my sons have rec'd at Covington Catholic and have no complaints whatsoever in the academic area. In fact, that is why my sons have gone to Covington Catholic. I also agree that Education should be, and is the focus of Mr Rowe. My point is that if Cov Cath wants to excel in Athletics, I do not believe the current AD is the guy for the job. My only point against Rowe is that if he truly wants Cov Cath to be as good as they can be on the field, then there are some things that I think he needs to do better, one of which IMO is change AD's. I also know that I am not the only one who feels that way as I have heard other parents saying the same thing. A basic example - How many believe that the shooting machines that the basketball players use, are helpful? Most I would think feel they are very helpful. IMO, a team certainly could use more than one. In the current AD's opinion - he wishes they didn't even have the one they have as it is always in the way! I and others heard him make the comment, and similar ones to that on multiple occasions. There are other examples I could give pertaining to basketball and other sports which I do not want to get into here. It is obvious that most on here do not feel the same way that I do, which is fine. I also know that there are others maybe not on here who feel the same way I do. I have only been involved in Cov Cath sports for the last 6 or 7 years, maybe that is not long enough to formulate a good opinion. Who knows. I am sure that Mr Rowe will select a good coach, and someone who is good for the school. I just hope though that the coach is given the authority and tools he needs to improve the overall success of the program.
    A shooting machine? Really? Here's an oldie but a goodie, "players are made in the summer". I played with and against some top notch talent, and we didn't need machines. A hoop and a ball. Along with the 3 D's ( any Shields disciples care to name) and you can have great players.

  9. #114

    Join Date
    May 08
    Posts
    91,216

    Quote Originally Posted by malachicrunch View Post
    A shooting machine? Really? Here's an oldie but a goodie, "players are made in the summer". I played with and against some top notch talent, and we didn't need machines. A hoop and a ball. Along with the 3 D's ( any Shields disciples care to name) and you can have great players.
    Kenny's 3 Ds?

    Desire
    Discipline
    Dad's Ft Thomas mailing address?

    Am I close?

  10. #115

    Join Date
    Dec 05
    Posts
    19,923

    Quote Originally Posted by Clyde View Post
    Kenny's 3 Ds?

    Desire
    Discipline
    Dad's Ft Thomas mailing address?

    Am I close?
    Close.

  11. #116

    Join Date
    Aug 06
    Posts
    574

    Ron Dawn turned down the job offer last week.
    Who are the next targets?

  12. #117
    Qryche11's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 06
    Location
    Fort Thomas
    Posts
    24,521

    Quote Originally Posted by LeeCorso View Post
    Ron Dawn turned down the job offer last week.
    Who are the next targets?
    Dolt !!!! Once a Bred always a Bred.

  13. #118

    Join Date
    May 08
    Posts
    91,216

    Quote Originally Posted by LeeCorso View Post
    Ron Dawn turned down the job offer last week.
    Who are the next targets?
    He let it be known from day 1 that he wasn't coming.

  14. #119
    StickerMann's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 07
    Location
    Sitting down in Central KY, still enjoying the run!!
    Posts
    3,366

    Quote Originally Posted by Clyde View Post
    He let it be known from day 1 that he wasn't coming.
    Correct, but they'd have been remiss to not inquire.

  15. #120

    Join Date
    Jan 10
    Posts
    1,093

    Quote Originally Posted by LeeCorso View Post
    Ron Dawn turned down the job offer last week.
    Who are the next targets?
    Ron would be a fool to take this job. I believe they are going to have a real problem if they think an experienced varity coach would walk into this situation.

Top