History Of The NKY Jack Kaelin Freshman Regional Tournament

Page 4 of Does anyone have the Past Champions of this Tourney since it started by chance? 0 0 0    ... 55 comments | 8187 Views | Go to page 1 →

  1. #46
    Colonels_Wear_Blue's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 09
    Location
    Colonel Country
    Posts
    45,385

    Covington Catholic beat Highlands 61-32 in 1966.
    Covington Catholic beat Conner 74-41 in 1968.
    Covington Holy Cross beat Covington Catholic 51-49 in 1971.
    Twenhofel beat Holmes 47-41 in 1976.
    Covington Catholic beat Holmes 50-49 in 1989.
    Highlands beat Covington Catholic 40-35 in 2001.
    Covington Catholic beat Covington Holy Cross 48-41 in 2002.
    Advertisement

  2. #47
    Colonels_Wear_Blue's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 09
    Location
    Colonel Country
    Posts
    45,385

    1959 - Boone County
    1960 -
    1961 -
    1962 - Boone County
    1963 - Newport Catholic
    1964 - Newport Catholic
    1965 - John G. Carlisle
    1966 - Covington Catholic
    1967 - Newport Catholic
    1968 - Covington Catholic
    1969 - Covington Holy Cross
    1970 -
    1971 - Covington Holy Cross
    1972 - Covington Catholic
    1973 - Covington Catholic
    1974 -
    1975 - Covington Catholic
    1976 - Twenhofel
    1977 - Holmes
    1978 - Simon Kenton
    1979 -
    1980 - Newport Catholic
    1981 - Newport Catholic
    1982 - Covington Catholic
    1983 -
    1984 - Newport Central Catholic
    1985 - Highlands
    1986 - Simon Kenton
    1987 -
    1988 -
    1989 - Covington Catholic
    1990 -
    1991 - Covington Catholic
    1992 - Covington Catholic
    1993 - Covington Catholic
    1994 - Covington Catholic
    1995 - Highlands
    1996 - Highlands
    1997 - Covington Catholic
    1998 -
    1999 - Covington Catholic
    2000 - Dixie Heights
    2001 - Highlands
    2002 - Covington Catholic
    2003 - Covington Catholic
    2004 - Covington Catholic
    2005 - Covington Catholic
    2006 - Ryle
    2007 - Covington Catholic
    2008 - Boone County
    2009 - Boone County
    2010 - Scott
    2011 - Covington Catholic
    2012 - Covington Catholic
    2013 - Simon Kenton
    2014 - Covington Catholic
    2015 - Covington Catholic
    2016 - Covington Holy Cross
    2017 - Covington Catholic
    2018 - Covington Catholic
    2019 - Covington Catholic

  3. #48

    Join Date
    Jan 19
    Posts
    24

    New Cath 1967. Rieschberger, Noll, etc
    Cov Cath 1968. Rippe, Derkson, Topmiller, etc

  4. #49

    Join Date
    Dec 15
    Posts
    565

    Holmes 1977. Dicky Beal, Rick Walton, Elliott Simpson, Todd Whatley, Mark Elmer, Joe Mardis, Kerry Humphrey, and more. Gets my vote for best frosh team in NKY history (Dicky played two years of Freshman basketball, made the decision not to play up JV or Varsity as a Frosh).

  5. #50
    The Oracle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 17
    Posts
    174

    Quote Originally Posted by Colonels_Wear_Blue View Post
    1959 - Boone County
    1960 -
    1961 -
    1962 - Boone County
    1963 - Newport Catholic
    1964 - Newport Catholic
    1965 - John G. Carlisle
    1966 - Covington Catholic
    1967 - Newport Catholic
    1968 - Covington Catholic
    1969 - Covington Holy Cross
    1970 -
    1971 - Covington Holy Cross
    1972 - Covington Catholic
    1973 - Covington Catholic
    1974 -
    1975 - Covington Catholic
    1976 - Twenhofel
    1977 - Holmes
    1978 - Simon Kenton
    1979 -
    1980 - Newport Catholic
    1981 - Newport Catholic
    1982 - Covington Catholic
    1983 -
    1984 - Newport Central Catholic
    1985 - Highlands
    1986 - Simon Kenton
    1987 -
    1988 -
    1989 - Covington Catholic
    1990 -
    1991 - Covington Catholic
    1992 - Covington Catholic
    1993 - Covington Catholic
    1994 - Covington Catholic
    1995 - Highlands
    1996 - Highlands
    1997 - Covington Catholic
    1998 -
    1999 - Covington Catholic
    2000 - Dixie Heights
    2001 - Highlands
    2002 - Covington Catholic
    2003 - Covington Catholic
    2004 - Covington Catholic
    2005 - Covington Catholic
    2006 - Ryle
    2007 - Covington Catholic
    2008 - Boone County
    2009 - Boone County
    2010 - Scott
    2011 - Covington Catholic
    2012 - Covington Catholic
    2013 - Simon Kenton
    2014 - Covington Catholic
    2015 - Covington Catholic
    2016 - Covington Holy Cross
    2017 - Covington Catholic
    2018 - Covington Catholic
    2019 - Covington Catholic
    Even with the blanks and the chance that those were NewCath wins, I'm surprised by how long it's been since NewCath won this last. Holmes too. Actually, I'm shocked that Holmes only shows one win thus far.

  6. #51
    Colonels_Wear_Blue's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 09
    Location
    Colonel Country
    Posts
    45,385

    Finals are tonight. Highlands is vying for their first win in 19 years, and Cov Cath is shooting for a four-pete.

  7. #52

  8. #53
    Runcible Owl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 17
    Location
    Is it true? Is it necessary? Is it kind?
    Posts
    2,516

    Quote Originally Posted by The Oracle View Post
    Even with the blanks and the chance that those were NewCath wins, I'm surprised by how long it's been since NewCath won this last. Holmes too. Actually, I'm shocked that Holmes only shows one win thus far.
    I think one should consider Carlisle's '65 title as part of Holmes' total. There was a span of years when Holmes was grades 10-12 only and one of the 5-10 largest schools in the state.

    1965 would have been the first (?) year students from the recently closed William Grant HS would attend Holmes. I'm more surprised Grant isn't on the list. Jim Brock coached some powerhouse teams there, even though it wasn't a big school.

  9. #54

    Join Date
    Dec 15
    Posts
    565

    That’s a great post. Always cool to look backward 3 years to see how kids have developed .... well done.

  10. #55

    Join Date
    Jan 19
    Posts
    4

    1988-89 Covington Catholic won with Studer, Etler and Johnson. Studer banked in a three at the buzzer from the wing against Holmes. Probably the only intentionally banked 3 to win a championship in the history of the tournament.

  11. #56
    Colonels_Wear_Blue's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 09
    Location
    Colonel Country
    Posts
    45,385

    Quote Originally Posted by Legacy26 View Post
    1988-89 Covington Catholic won with Studer, Etler and Johnson. Studer banked in a three at the buzzer from the wing against Holmes. Probably the only intentionally banked 3 to win a championship in the history of the tournament.
    Very cool. Thanks @Legacy26!

Top