Covington Catholic has New Coach

Page 5 of Originally Posted by Slemac90 I can think of two. Both in Northern Campbell Co. 4 actually that i know. Bellevue, Dayton,Highlands and Brossart. Advert... 146 comments | 13365 Views | Go to page 1 →

  1. #61

    Join Date
    May 08
    Posts
    91,217

    Quote Originally Posted by Sweeperboy View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by THUNDERBIRDS View Post
    Yeah and Tom Duffy came to Highlands just because he wanted to coach Football....Please!!!
    Now thats funny right there...........Look, there are the people who think they are in the know and they will offer up their insight and then there is the few that are the know. I doubt very much that many on this site have a clue as to really who the brains are behind CovCath. And its not just CovCath its every school.
    For the record, I'm NOT in the know. I'm just speculating.
    Advertisement

  2. #62
    Theoldguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 05
    Posts
    14,394

    Quote Originally Posted by Clyde View Post
    No clue. I would be surprised if he's paid anymore than Krumps or Wirth.

    No clue what the Animal Fat line means.
    I do believe all the teachers are employees of the Dioceses of Covington and not employees of CovCath per se, pretty much like all the Boone County teachers are employed by the Boone County Board of Education and not by the likes of Conner HS, Ryle HS, Cooper HS and or Boone County HS.

  3. #63
    Sweeperboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 04
    Location
    #wonforthem / #cowboycrowned
    Posts
    5,255

    Anyone who thinks the hiring of this coach wont attract new talent, possibly out of state kids is flat out blind and will be in for the shock of their lives in 2 to 3 yrs tops. I will make a confession, (no pun intented) if I had a son that was "all that" in basketball, I would be seriously interested in checking this guy out because of his success at the HS level. Oh yeah, BTW, he would also continue his Catholic education and become a BlueBoy.
    Successful programs and coaches breed winning and the talent finds them, not the other way around. Just sayn............

  4. #64

    Join Date
    Feb 08
    Location
    San Antonio, TX
    Posts
    13,018

    Last week, we were having the pros/cons debate and a mention the possibility of Covington Catholic having a 'pro' that could be a huge influence as to why the job may be attractive to someone. From all indications from those discussions, Covington Catholic was never one to engage in any of the transfer practices in question. Personally, I have feeling that there will be changes on the way. Someone with a resume like this whose worked at St. Anthony uproots and comes to a private school in the area, but has no intentions of at least engaging in some of the things that have made St. Anthony's the program they are? I'm not saying Covington Catholic is going to become a prep school, but I think while it may be early in the process, it would be naive to think that everything is still going to continue as was mentioned as it was in our previous discussion. Just my opinion.

  5. #65

    Join Date
    May 11
    Location
    Florence, KY
    Posts
    3,277

    Quote Originally Posted by Sweeperboy View Post
    Anyone who thinks the hiring of this coach wont attract new talent, possibly out of state kids is flat out blind and will be in for the shock of their lives in 2 to 3 yrs tops. I will make a confession, (no pun intented) if I had a son that was "all that" in basketball, I would be seriously interested in checking this guy out because of his success at the HS level. Oh yeah, BTW, he would also continue his Catholic education and become a BlueBoy.
    Successful programs and coaches breed winning and the talent finds them, not the other way around. Just sayn............
    My feelings exactly...There are many more similarities between St Anthonys and Cov Cath than one may think they are both catholic institutions and similar in Enrollment size with Cov Cath actually being a bit bigger...I read a story about how when St Anthonys was starting out they modeled what they did after Oak Hill academy except at first St Anthonys only took the best players from the New York and New Jersey areas and then eventually became a national name...It wasn't till.after a few years that St Anthonys realized local.competition wasn't competition at all and they began playing a national schedule...If the business of a prep school like St Anthonys is anything like college than this guy knows about bringing in talent.because as we know its your.assistants that are probably more important than the head coach when it comes to bringing.in the talent...I wouldn't be at all surprised to see coach Hurley maybe even recommend cov cath to kids who may be a little less talented than what St Ant is used to or that they don't have room for...So I think at first Cov Cath becomes like Highlands is in fball in nky bringing in top talent from across nky even.going into.cincy and dominating local competition, but with this area having nothing close to.a college preporatory school and this being a basketball state and area it would be SILLY to think that they couldn't become a prep school...A prep school would benefit the area not only in terms of basketball but in academics, I no its premature but it would be a good thing for the.area imo...

  6. #66

    Join Date
    May 09
    Posts
    1,148

    Well if this prep school thing works out down the road for CCH (which is highly unlikely imo), it should bolster the St Henry and Holy Cross programs with the influx of nky athletes that decide there are better opportunities elsewhere.

  7. #67

    Join Date
    Apr 09
    Posts
    419

    Wow, this thread reads like an Oliver Stone conspiracy; and just as absurd and ridiculous. All of this talk about prep school is just nonsense; and for the record, this is coming from non CCH supporters. There were a few other very well excellent candidates, some very local. There was a
    search commitee of 4; two from within the admin., and two very well respected coaches. As Mustang said earlier, Mr. Rowe may be the most competitve principal in the area, not just in sports but every aspect. He demands excellence, it seems as though Coach Ruthsatz fits that model. I am sure that equally impressive attributes for Coach Ruthsatz were his record, ability,education, family and faith. By the way, there will be about 10 other coaches from public schools in the 9th region that will make more money than Coach R. At CCH at least, you don't coach for money; they make about 1/2 as much as any public school coach. This was not a money hire. Good luck to Coach Ruthsatz. Welcome to NKY.

  8. #68
    Qryche11's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 06
    Location
    Fort Thomas
    Posts
    24,522

    Quote Originally Posted by Clyde View Post
    If you tried you could not be any more incorrect in your accusation.
    How can you be so sure? Seriously, are you going to tell me that this guy was just perusing the classifieds and all of the sudden decided "Hey maybe I should leave this National Power, uproot my family of 8 and move to Greater Cincinnati". Somebody had a connection to get this guy in front of Bob Rowe. There is nothing wrong with it to be honest. Good for whoever that person was that sold the new coach and helped CLOSE him.

    Just because I posted that I am speculating Frederick had something to do with it possibly shouldnt come across as a negative. Whatever he did or said with Coach Listerman should have nothing to do with this. To be honest, his son probably should have been logging Varsity minutes last year. That is JMO after watching him play in JV games and then watching the Varsity guards.

    I think Lumberjack was just trying to say that Parents in general drive the ship and obviously played a huge part in Coach Listerman deciding it was time to leave the basketball program. I was born at night but I wasnt born last night.

    The CovCath faithful should be excited about this guy coming in and possibly getting them back in the mix as a Top 5 team in NKY.

  9. #69

    Join Date
    May 08
    Posts
    91,217

    Quote Originally Posted by Qryche11 View Post
    How can you be so sure? Seriously, are you going to tell me that this guy was just perusing the classifieds and all of the sudden decided "Hey maybe I should leave this National Power, uproot my family of 8 and move to Greater Cincinnati". Somebody had a connection to get this guy in front of Bob Rowe. There is nothing wrong with it to be honest. Good for whoever that person was that sold the new coach and helped CLOSE him.

    Just because I posted that I am speculating Frederick had something to do with it possibly shouldnt come across as a negative. Whatever he did or said with Coach Listerman should have nothing to do with this. To be honest, his son probably should have been logging Varsity minutes last year. That is JMO after watching him play in JV games and then watching the Varsity guards.

    I think Lumberjack was just trying to say that Parents in general drive the ship and obviously played a huge part in Coach Listerman deciding it was time to leave the basketball program. I was born at night but I wasnt born last night.

    The CovCath faithful should be excited about this guy coming in and possibly getting them back in the mix as a Top 5 team in NKY.

    Trust me. The accusation made that this hire was made to appease a particular parent could NOT be any further from the truth. Yes, I DO know.

  10. #70

    Join Date
    Jan 09
    Location
    It's not where I live, It's what I live for
    Posts
    16,367

    Quote Originally Posted by Sweeperboy View Post
    Anyone who thinks the hiring of this coach wont attract new talent, possibly out of state kids is flat out blind and will be in for the shock of their lives in 2 to 3 yrs tops. I will make a confession, (no pun intented) if I had a son that was "all that" in basketball, I would be seriously interested in checking this guy out because of his success at the HS level. Oh yeah, BTW, he would also continue his Catholic education and become a BlueBoy.
    Successful programs and coaches breed winning and the talent finds them, not the other way around. Just sayn............
    I'm with you sweeperboy. A new coach with college connections is very appealing to young men who may want to play at the next level. Much like a footballer may choose Highlands for the exposure, the same may happen here?

  11. #71

    Join Date
    Apr 09
    Posts
    419

    Quote Originally Posted by Qryche11 View Post
    How can you be so sure? .
    I can, I know the facts. I believe there were dozens of candidates that were from outside this area; and several outstanding local candidates. No one recruited Coach R, nor put him in contact with Bob Rowe. Coach R had to sell himself as the best candidate, not the inverse. And yes, he did wish to uproot his family to move back closer to Ohio; this was a great opportunity at a fine school. You're trying to connect dots that have no corelation. No parent had anything to do with this hiring in any fashion. Q, I feel confident that you have great respect for the guys on this small committee and would not question their judgement or wish to besmirch their integrity. No parents drive the ship. Perhaps a parent questioning playing time was why Coach L decided to hang it up. Quite frankly, I know many guys that say the same thing about coaching every sport, at every age level. I got tired of it while coaching 8, 9 and 10 year olds in recreational sports. I doubt that it was any different this year for Mike than it has been for the last 11 years. As I said, there were some prominent local coaches in good situations that really wished to heap this horrible situation upon themselves.

  12. #72

    Join Date
    Mar 10
    Posts
    7

    This idea that kids from Cincy are going to come play at Covington Catholic is crazy. THE PLAYERS IN CINCY ARE ALREADY GETTING EXPOSED TO MAJOR PROGRAMS ALL THE TIME. Do you really think these kids are going to leave playing at Moeller, St. X, Lasalle, and Elder, plus all the major public schools in Cincinnati to go to Covington Catholic because this guy worked at St. Anthony. The reason why there are not many D-1 players in NKY is because there is not much D-1 talent in the area, exposure has nothing to do with it.

  13. #73

    Join Date
    May 08
    Posts
    91,217

    Quote Originally Posted by Lumberjack View Post
    This idea that kids from Cincy are going to come play at Covington Catholic is crazy. THE PLAYERS IN CINCY ARE ALREADY GETTING EXPOSED TO MAJOR PROGRAMS ALL THE TIME. Do you really think these kids are going to leave playing at Moeller, St. X, Lasalle, and Elder, plus all the major public schools in Cincinnati to go to Covington Catholic because this guy worked at St. Anthony. The reason why there are not many D-1 players in NKY is because there is not much D-1 talent in the area, exposure has nothing to do with it.
    THIS we agree on.

  14. #74

    Join Date
    Jun 07
    Posts
    837

    This one has really amazed me. First no one could imagine anyone of quality wanting this horrible job because of pay, pension and parental disruption to the program.

    Now they hire a quality candidate, and there is talk of prep school, and an influx of transfers and recruits.

    Even if the new coach aspires to move CovCath to the ranks of a prep school, even if Bob Rowe has that vision (which he doesn't), the Diocese of Covington and the Bishop definitely do not have that in their plans. They in no way shape or form want CovCath or any other of their schools to turn into a Prep school in the fashion of Oak Hills or even St. Anthony's. So unless a new Bishop has taken over and Fired Mike Clines and the entire education administration any talk of sport based Prep Schools is strictly a fantasy.

    As far as the pay for the new Coach. Even if he is paid at the highest level available in the Diocesen structure, he will make less money teaching and coaching than that of a JV Head coach who also teaches at any of the many public schools in the area.

  15. #75

    Join Date
    Feb 10
    Posts
    103

    Heard his wife got offered a job in NKY and that is why he was looking...

Top