Boone County 72 Holmes 60

Page 4 of Final from the 9th region.... 67 comments | 2492 Views | Go to page 1 →

  1. #46
    MJAlltheWay24's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 03
    Location
    Alexandria, KY
    Posts
    54,739

    Quote Originally Posted by Solomon View Post
    Boone County (21-10): Downs 5 10 21, Stanley 6 3 17, Brown 7 2 16, Crabtree 6 0 12, McQueary 2 0 4, Palmer 0 2 2. Totals 26 17 72.
    Four players in double figures? You can't ask for much more than that.

    I was very pleased to hear that Boone County got the win tonight. Hopefully they can pull out a big win on Saturday too!
    Advertisement

  2. #47

    Join Date
    Apr 10
    Location
    Wherever I want to be
    Posts
    9,160

    Quote Originally Posted by BigDP View Post
    21 for Downs, WOW!!!! that has to be a varsity career high for him....

    I wasn't at the game, but it sounds like he played an all around great game from all the posts. He's a good kid and has some great parents. Nice balanced scoring for the Rebels.

    How did Mr. Brown do? I see 16 points...... Did he play his NORMAL solid game? Sounds as though Holmes's game plan was to take him away and have the rest of the Rebels beat the, which it sounds as though they did.

    Congrats Boone!!
    Brown played really well, especially when Holmes went man to man. Downs penetrated and got it to Brown. Holmes had no one that could stop him. BC had the answer for everything Holmes did. Early in the game , Holmes had several opportunities to get out to an 8 or 10 point lead. BC took about 4 minutes to get adjusted to the pressure. Holmes did not capitalize on the turnovers. Once BC got the lead, they dictated the game.

  3. #48
    Baseball Nut 24's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 10
    Posts
    1,880

    Agree with COVIRADIO...........If Cooper Downs can play like he did last night, they have a legit shot to go down to Rupp.

    The Holmes full court pressure just did not create turnovers. They either threw over the top with to their bigs or got it in to Downs and he went right through the press. I thought this was one of the keys to the game. Holmes also missed a ton of shots close in the paint. Just wasn't one of their nights and Boone Co had a lot to do with that.

    How would Boone Co look with a healthy Montgomery? - wow...

  4. #49
    mcpapa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 05
    Location
    Home of a proud papa
    Posts
    62,160

    Quote Originally Posted by Solomon View Post
    Holmes (21-11) - Palmer 6 2 17, Hayes 4 3 13, Rice 5 2 13, Gray 4 2 10, Coston 1 1 4, Englemon 0 2 2, Knox 0 1 1. Totals 20 13 60

    Boone County (21-10): Downs 5 10 21, Stanley 6 3 17, Brown 7 2 16, Crabtree 6 0 12, McQueary 2 0 4, Palmer 0 2 2. Totals 26 17 72.

    Holmes 8 21 16 15 - 60
    Boone County 11 22 17 22 - 72

    3-pointers: H 7 (Palmer 3, Hayes 2, Rice, Coston). B 3 (Stanley 2, Downs).
    Thanks. I've noticed in the Holmes threads that we generally get the Bulldogs scoring pretty quicky but have to wait a while for their opponents' numbers.

  5. #50
    Qryche11's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 06
    Location
    Fort Thomas
    Posts
    24,521

    Quote Originally Posted by mcpapa View Post
    Thanks. I've noticed in the Holmes threads that we generally get the Bulldogs scoring pretty quicky but have to wait a while for their opponents' numbers.
    That is because Walter keeps a tally on his Iphone. He has quick fingers but not that quick to get the other team. Most of those stats you see are unofficial but normally correct.

  6. #51
    Walter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 09
    Location
    Union, KY
    Posts
    15,450

    Quote Originally Posted by RomanEmpire View Post
    I could NOT disagree any more with you. It was a thing of beauty and NO WAY was it a travel. it did make some Holmes defenders look silly and perhaps that's where your opinion comes from, but please don't take away a great moment and try to minimize it with a bogus non call. Cooper Downs was THE MAN tonight and there is nothing you can say to change my mind. You would not even give him his proper due as you referred to him as #4. You seem to know everyone else's name Walter. This kid played his heart out and it's sad to see you trying to detract from that. Give credit where credit is due. Holmes had no answer for #4 tonight.
    See my game post...I gave #4 credit and said he and Brown were the difference as they both came up with big play after big play any time Holmes made a run. AS far as the name, I get Stanley and Downs mixed up. It has nothing to do with not giving the young man credit. If that is Downs, I apologize and will refer to him as Downs in future posts about Boone.

    As far as the "no call" goes, there were more than a few that the refs missed and that was one of them. You have your opinion, I have mine. Nothing you say is going to change it so we might as well agree to disagree.

  7. #52
    Walter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 09
    Location
    Union, KY
    Posts
    15,450

    Quote Originally Posted by Qryche11 View Post
    Beuter and Hightchew will be right there for NCC as the best imo but Holmes has a couple diaper dandys.
    Hightchew is a senior next year..I'm referring to the 2012/2013 year when Palmer and Coston are seniors.

  8. #53
    Voice of Reason's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 08
    Location
    N. KY.
    Posts
    34,237

    No doubt a big part of the reason Downs and Stanley did what they did in this game was because of Holmes' game plan. Holmes pressured the ball hoping for turnovers and behind that was focused on stopping Brown in the middle and sold out on that. They would allow the guards the open looks even when they got into the lane because they did not want to leave Brown to help. I would not expect the same point production from the guards against Dixie who will have a very different game plan IMO.

  9. #54
    Walter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 09
    Location
    Union, KY
    Posts
    15,450

    Quote Originally Posted by Voice of Reason View Post
    Yes, Boone played zone all night. Holmes actually did a pretty good job hitting the three ball, as you can see with the 7 three's in the box score. Holmes needed to do more penetration to the middle of the zone and hitting that short jumper in the lane. Boone took away second chance points by controlling the boards. Crabtree did a really good job on the boards and Boone's team all went to the glass to make sure Holmes got no second chance points.

    It will be interesting to see Boone's defensive game plan against Dixie. I don't think they can play the zone they played tonight against Dixie. Trammel and Hatton will eat it up hitting three's and driving to the middle. Boone may still try the zone and make sure they shade Hatton and Trammel, giving the open looks to Hassell. Coach McQueary's game plan was right on target versus Holmes and he coached a great game. He is going to need to do come up with another great game plan against Dixie for Boone to win that one.
    Not having Gray out there due to foul trouble really hurt that aspect of Holmes' game plan. He is by far the quickest player on the court and best penetrator regardless of the competition and they missed that a lot last night.

    Kind of reminds me of Cotton last year in the game against Holmes...picking up two early fouls on some questionable calls, sitting much of the first half...picking up another cheap foul early in the third, shortly after getting his 4th, and then being sat until late in the second half.

    I really feel for the kid as he would'veno doubt made a huge impact for the Dogs.

  10. #55
    Walter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 09
    Location
    Union, KY
    Posts
    15,450

    Quote Originally Posted by Qryche11 View Post
    That is because Walter keeps a tally on his Iphone. He has quick fingers but not that quick to get the other team. Most of those stats you see are unofficial but normally correct.


    It's hard enough to keep track of Holmes, let alone both teams.

  11. #56
    Walter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 09
    Location
    Union, KY
    Posts
    15,450

    Quote Originally Posted by Voice of Reason View Post
    No doubt a big part of the reason Downs and Stanley did what they did in this game was because of Holmes' game plan. Holmes pressured the ball hoping for turnovers and behind that was focused on stopping Brown in the middle and sold out on that. They would allow the guards the open looks even when they got into the lane because they did not want to leave Brown to help. I would not expect the same point production from the guards against Dixie who will have a very different game plan IMO.
    I'll be glad to see Brown leave after this year. He has been a beast down low in both games against Holmes.

    He was slowed down early on but once he got going, I believe he scored 6 or 8 straight for the Rebels after Holmes cut the deficit to 1 in the third quarter on a Hayes 3. Kid is just a hard worker down low and knows how to use his size and body to his advantage.

  12. #57

    Join Date
    Apr 10
    Location
    Wherever I want to be
    Posts
    9,160

    Quote Originally Posted by RomanEmpire View Post
    I could NOT disagree any more with you. It was a thing of beauty and NO WAY was it a travel. it did make some Holmes defenders look silly and perhaps that's where your opinion comes from, but please don't take away a great moment and try to minimize it with a bogus non call. Cooper Downs was THE MAN tonight and there is nothing you can say to change my mind. You would not even give him his proper due as you referred to him as #4. You seem to know everyone else's name Walter. This kid played his heart out and it's sad to see you trying to detract from that. Give credit where credit is due. Holmes had no answer for #4 tonight.
    I have not seen one post that didn't give Downs credit. He played lights out. Petty on names, I can't remember names half the time and also spell them wrong. I believe he probably didn't walk. Thing of beauty that's the beholder, it was a good move. Walter was not detracting from the kid, wow.

  13. #58

    Join Date
    Jan 11
    Location
    Florence KY
    Posts
    460

    Quote Originally Posted by Voice of Reason View Post
    Well, I am going to disagree with you and the Dixie fans. That was a great move by Downs IMO and not a walk.

    As to the backcourt play, Stanley was straddling the mid court line so no back court violation.

    As to the officiating, yes they messed up the one foul call and almost messed up the other two. Two of the 3 officials in the Boone/Holmes game were very good. The third official struggled on a few calls but was solid the rest of the night. The 3 officials in the Dixie/Highlands game did an excellent job.

    On the game itself, Boone's guards were tremendous - both Downs and Stanley. It was obvious Holmes' game plan was to not leave Brown on penetration and make Boone's guards beat them, and Boone's guards beat them. Downs almost single handedly defeated the press all night. One other tremendous play Downs brought the ball down court on what I recall was a kick out after a missed shot. But Downs was being pressured up the sideline and Holmes had another defender right there helping with two other defenders hustling along side. Downs went behind the back, split the double team and took it to the basket where he was fouled going up for the layup. It was literally a 1 on 4 move and play. Great ball handling all night. He had a few turnovers but for handling the ball all night against the Holmes pressure all over the court, he was just tremendous. You also have to give credit to Stanley. He helped with the ball handling, hit the open shot and also had two big steals and break away layups. I don't think anyone expected Boone's guards to beat Holmes's guards like they did. If Downs and Stanley can play like this when teams try to take away Boone's inside game, Boone is going to be very tough to beat.
    As a Boone supporter it was a walk! Nice move but a walk.

    Downs had a great night a little shakey early with some early turnovers but he did handle the pressure well. I was more impressed with Stanleys play. He made big shots when they needed them and was steady all night.

  14. #59

    Join Date
    Jan 08
    Posts
    928

    Quote Originally Posted by coach14 View Post
    As a Boone supporter it was a walk! Nice move but a walk.

    Downs had a great night a little shakey early with some early turnovers but he did handle the pressure well. I was more impressed with Stanleys play. He made big shots when they needed them and was steady all night.
    Not a Downs fan? or just a bigger fan of Stanley? No dog in the fight, just thought this was an interesting post.

  15. #60
    mcpapa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 05
    Location
    Home of a proud papa
    Posts
    62,160

    Quote Originally Posted by Qryche11 View Post
    That is because Walter keeps a tally on his Iphone. He has quick fingers but not that quick to get the other team. Most of those stats you see are unofficial but normally correct.
    Makes sense to me.

    When I want the official stats I just go to the scorer's table and ask. Never been a problem.

Top