Ashland 57 West Carter 54

Page 2 of Final per Zack Klemme.... 34 comments | 2264 Views | Go to page 1 →

  1. #16
    JDEaston's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 13
    Posts
    9,345

    Quote Originally Posted by Carl Spackler View Post
    Looked like that might have been a charge on the shot......
    Lol.
    Advertisement

  2. #17
    The Professor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 04
    Location
    Sag Hollow
    Posts
    21,783

    Quote Originally Posted by Carl Spackler View Post
    Looked like that might have been a charge on the shot......
    More of a flop if anything. Villers was in the air releasing his shot and the defender moved to the left and under him when he came down. Could have actually been a blocking foul more than a charge. But in those kind of situations with 2 seconds left few referees are going to call anything.

  3. #18
    Voice of Reason's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 08
    Location
    N. KY.
    Posts
    33,771

    What is the rule on that. A player shoots the ball and well after the ball has left his hand he charges into a player. The contact happened when the ball was probably half way to the rim. If it was ruled a charge that long after the ball left the shooter's hand, does the basket count?

  4. #19

    Join Date
    Nov 16
    Posts
    51

    Quote Originally Posted by JDEaston View Post
    I don't have much to say at the moment but Ashland came back to win the game on a 16-3 run. Ashland was outplayed and should have lost the game, but once again they were clutch in what appeared to be getting the game to overtime. Then the shot happened, I dunno what else to say.
    Sportscenter.
    Literally... I just saw the shot on ESPN

  5. #20
    Carl Spackler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 20
    Location
    Somerset, Ky
    Posts
    44

    Quote Originally Posted by Voice of Reason View Post
    What is the rule on that. A player shoots the ball and well after the ball has left his hand he charges into a player. The contact happened when the ball was probably half way to the rim. If it was ruled a charge that long after the ball left the shooter's hand, does the basket count?
    Not in high school. The basket would have been waved off.

  6. #21

    Join Date
    Jan 20
    Posts
    15

    Could have been a grab before the shot also.

  7. #22
    JDEaston's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 13
    Posts
    9,345

    Looked to me like the ball went in the basket as time expired which won the game for Ashland.

  8. #23
    The Professor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 04
    Location
    Sag Hollow
    Posts
    21,783

    Quote Originally Posted by JDEaston View Post
    Looked to me like the ball went in the basket as time expired which won the game for Ashland.
    Keen observations. 😀

  9. #24

    Join Date
    Nov 19
    Location
    In the deep dark hills...
    Posts
    113

    Quote Originally Posted by The Professor View Post
    More of a flop if anything. Villers was in the air releasing his shot and the defender moved to the left and under him when he came down. Could have actually been a blocking foul more than a charge. But in those kind of situations with 2 seconds left few referees are going to call anything.
    Thought the same. If anything the defender didn't give the shooter room to come down. Shots 3/4ths of the court long usually don't carry the same form as a normal 3

  10. #25
    B-Ball-fan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 02
    Posts
    14,175

    It’s exciting to see Ashland stay undefeated, yet every time I watch that last shot all I keep seeing is the kid taking the charge and falling to the floor. If the ball had not gone in it would have gone to OT, and who knows Ashland might’ve still won, but that charge, that obvious charge...


  11. #26

    Join Date
    Jan 20
    Posts
    15

    Kid slid in have to allow playroom to come down. Maybe was grabbed also before that. Fouls were 4 to 1 most of second half in favor of west. Poor clock management cost them the game more than that shot

  12. #27

    Join Date
    Dec 08
    Posts
    21,752

    I would not have called a charge in that situation but this argument that the player has to have room to come down is true but not when he is running forward and comes down 3 or 4 foot from where he left the floor. To me the only possible two calls would be a no call or a charge and I think the officials were correct with the no call imo.

  13. #28

    Join Date
    Jan 20
    Posts
    18

    West Carter only had 5 team fouls, the player trailing the shooter tried to grab him but failed.

  14. #29
    JDEaston's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 13
    Posts
    9,345

    Quote Originally Posted by The Professor View Post
    Keen observations. 😀
    Even as I'm getting older I have been lucky enough to maintain 20/20 vision.

  15. #30
    JDEaston's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 13
    Posts
    9,345

    Quote Originally Posted by 16thBBall Fan View Post
    I would not have called a charge in that situation but this argument that the player has to have room to come down is true but not when he is running forward and comes down 3 or 4 foot from where he left the floor. To me the only possible two calls would be a no call or a charge and I think the officials were correct with the no call imo.
    I don't know the exact rule, but I'm curious how many feet the shooter is allowed to come down when shooting such a shot? Or is it just up to the refs to make the call on the fly? Seems to be a lot of grey area there.

    Not saying you're wrong, it would be nice to know the difference in the rule between a running shooter or a jump shooter as far as being allowed to land safely after the shot attempt. This type of shot is similar to a guard driving from the three point line and putting up a floater around the foul line instead of stopping for a jumpshot at the foul line. Are they not given freedom of movement in that instance either?

Top