11th Region Week 11 Review
As we enter the final week of the season in the 11th Region the top contenders for the region crown have risen to the top. Once again who really knows where or who to rank after the top 2 but thats why they play the games! District seeding is set in 3 of the 4 districts but the 42nd remains unfinished. Lets check out whats happened this past week in the 11th Region.
1. Lexington Catholic (25-2) - The Knights continue their dominance over 11th Region teams this past week as they went 2-0 on the road with wins over Lexington Christian Academy and Franklin County. Lexington Catholic is now 13-0 in 11th region games this season. Ben Johnson continues to lead the Knights while others have been solid contributors all season including Jack Gohman and Luke Wedding. This week Lexington Catholic finishes up regular season play with 12th region opponents Lincoln County and Wayne County. Some nice tests to end the season.
2. Henry Clay (21-5) - The Blue Devils just roll right along this week and extend their winning streak to 15 games! Henry Clay hasnt lost since the calendar turned to 2020 and this week was quite an impressive week! The Blue Devils finished the week 3-0 with a HUGE overtime win over Ballard then knocked off Paul Laurence Dunbar and Woodford County. Henry Clay seems to be destined for a showdown with Lexington Catholic at some point this season and very well might be the only team who can challenge the Knights. This week the Blue Devils finish the regular season with 3 home games against Scott County, Lafayette, and Taylor County.
3. Frederick Douglass (17-9) - The Broncos finished the week 2-1 with wins over Sayre and Tates Creek and a loss to an improving Paul Laurence Dunbar team. Douglass has a huge week ahead with a showdown with Bryan Station and a visit from Lafayette. A win over Station would ensure the Broncos the 2 seed in the 42nd District, a loss would leave them needing some help from other district teams. Also, congrats to junior DeShawn Jackson on scoring the 1,000th point of his career this past week!
4. Tates Creek (15-11) - The Commodores had a rough week going 1-2 with a win over Paul Laurence Dunbar and losses to Frederick Douglass and Lexington Christian Academy. Tates Creek is locked in as the 2 seed in the 43rd District tournament and will face LCA in the 2/3 game. Having lost to LCA this past week the Commodores cant feel too comfortable heading into that game but expect them to be favored. This week Tates Creek hosts Great Crossing in its only game.
5. Lexington Christian Academy (16-10) - The Eagles finished the week 1-1 in 43rd District games picking up a win over Tates Creek and falling to rival Lexington Catholic. The Eagles will face Tates Creek again in a weeks time in the first round of the 43rd District tournament. This week to finish the season LCA hosts Anderson County before heading to Bryan Station and Trinity.
6. Scott County (14-13) - The Cardinals had a fantastic week going 3-0 with 20 point wins over Franklin County, Great Crossing, and Johnson Central. Scott County currently sets as the 3 seed in the 42nd District but faces off with Sayre and Henry Clay this week to determine exactly where they will end up. They finish the season at home against Paul Laurence Dunbar.
7. Madison Central (12-15) - The Indians split their games this past week falling in a close one to Lexington Catholic in overtime and picking up a nice win over Walton Verona. The 44th District does not seed their district tournament and this week was the draw. Madison Central drew Madison Southern in the first round which should prove to be an exciting game. This week Madison Central finishes the season with a trip to South Laurel and hosts Covington Catholic.
8. Paul Laurence Dunbar (10-17) - The Bulldogs have been playing much better this last couple of weeks and finished this past week at 1-2 with a win over Frederick Douglass and losses to Henry Clay and Tates Creek. The Bulldogs unfortunately are the 4 seed in the 43rd District and will have a tough road to reach the region tournament. This week the Bulldogs host West Jessamine and head to Scott County to finish the regular season.
9. Franklin County (15-12) - The Flyers have locked themselves in as the 2 seed in the 41st District tournament. This past week they picked up a big win over Berea and fell to Scott County and Lexington Catholic. This week is a tough one for the Flyers as they head to Madison Southern and host Anderson County.
10. Madison Southern (14-13) - The Eagles finished the week 2-1 with an overtime loss at George Rogers Clark and blow out wins over Harlan County and Nicholas County. As mentioned above the Eagles drew Madison Central in the 44th District tournament. This week Madison Southern ends the season with home games against Franklin County and Corbin.
11. Great Crossing (13-15) - The Warhawks have been struggling recently but are locked in as the 1 seed in the 41st District tournament. This past week they picked up a win over Frankfort Christian Academy and lost to Frankfort and Scott County. More then likely the Warhawks will face Frankfort in the 41st District tournament. This week Great Crossing faces tough foes in a trip to Tates Creek and a home game against 8th region favorite Oldham County.
12. Frankfort (15-14) - The Panthers picked up 2 nice wins over Paris and Great Crossing this week. The Panthers lost the coin flip with Western Hills for the 3 seed this past week but might end up being a better option for Frankfort as they just beat Great Crossing this week. Up next for Frankfort is a trip to Shelby County to end the season.
13. Lafayette (9-19) - The Generals went 2-0 this week with two nice wins over Bryan Station and Trinity. Unfortunately for the Generals they are locked in at the 5 seed in the 43rd District tournament and will face a tough road to reach the regional tournament. This week Lafayette heads to Frederick Douglass and Henry Clay.
14. Bryan Station (11-15) - The Defenders split their games this past week falling to Lafayette and beating Boyle County. Up next the Defenders host Frederick Douglass and Lexington Christian. With a win over Douglass and some help from other teams the Defenders could end up as the 3 seed but need a lot of help.
15. Western Hills (13-14) - The Wolverines went 1-2 last week with losses to Shelby County and Estill County and a win over Nicholas County. Also, the Wolverines won the coin flip with Frankfort and will be the 3 seed and face Franklin County in the 41st District tournament first round. This week Western Hills heads to Mercer County then host Berea and Paris to finish the season.
16. Berea (18-7) - The Pirates finished the week 1-2 with losses to Corbin and Franklin County and picked up a win over Danville Christian. The biggest win of the week for the Pirates was the draw as they avoided both Madison Central and Madison Southern and will play Model in the first round of the 44th District tournament. This week Berea hosts Heritage Academy and Frankfort Christian and travels to Western Hills.
17. Sayre (14-13) - The Spartans picked up 2 wins this week over St. Francis and Fleming County both on the road. Locked in at the 5 seed in the 42nd District their opponent in the district tournament is yet to be determined. This week Sayre faces Scott County, Wolfe County, and Kentucky Country Day.
18. Model (9-19) - The Patriots went 1-2 this week with a loss to Danville and a win over Harlan County and Wellspring Guardians. Also, The Patriots avoided Madison Central and Madison Southern in the 44th District tournament and will face Berea. This week they face Jackson County and Powell County.
19. Frankfort Christian Academy (1-23) - The Royals went 0-3 with losses to Highlands Latin, Danville Christian, and June Buchanan. This week FCA ends the season with Heritage Academy, Williamstown, Berea, and Kentucky School for the Deaf.