11th Region Week 7 Review
An exciting and telling week in the 11th Region this past week. Between the 2A and the All A mix in some city and district match ups and the rankings are starting to become more and more clear. Congrats to the Frankfort Panthers on winning the 11th Region All A Classic and to the Lexington Catholic Knights for advancing all the way to the semi finals of the 2A State Tournament. Lets check out what else happened around the region this week!
1. Lexington Catholic (17-2) - The Knights had a busy week this past week starting off with a district game against Lafayette that they won then hit the road to Owensboro for the 2A State tournament. The Knights won their first game over Calloway County big then fell to Bourbon County in a close intense game. Worse then the loss for the Knights was Luke Wedding being ejected which will cost him 2 more games and they come at the wrong time as the Knights have a tough schedule this week. Congrats to Ben Johnson and Jack Gohmann for picking up All Tournament Team Honors at the 2A State Championshps. This week the Knights hit the road to face a good and improving East Jessamine team then head down Man O War to play Paul Laurence Dunbar in a 43rd District match up. The Knights are currently the 1 seed in the 43rd District.
2. Henry Clay (11-5) - The Blue Devils picked up 2 wins this week over Bryan Station and Paul Laurence Dunbar. Henry Clay has started to find its stride lately and showing they have a legit chance to challenge Lexington Catholic for the Region title. With the win over Bryan Station, the Blue Devils now sit at 5-1 in the 42nd District and hold onto the 1 seed. This week Henry Clay hits the road to Tates Creek and Trinity. Two good tests for Henry Clay!!
3. Tates Creek (13-5) - The Commodores are playing great basketball having won 8 of their last 9 games!! This past week Tates Creek picked up wins over Paul Laurence Dunbar and Southwestern. The win over Southwestern on the road was particularly impressive. Currently Tates Creek sits at 4-1 in the 43rd District and hold onto the 2 seed. The Commodores have a BIG week coming up as they host Henry Clay and then head to undefeated John Hardin for a tough road game. What a great opportunity for Coach Gay's boys to prove themselves on a state wide stage!
4. Frederick Douglass (11-6) - The Broncos had an interesting week, they finished 2-1 but the loss was a big one. Douglass picked up wins over Scott County and Great Crossing then dropped a huge 42nd District game to Bryan Station. The loss to Bryan Station drops the Broncos district record to 2-2 and puts them behind Henry Clay for the 1 seed. This week Frederick Douglass heads across town to Paul Laurence Dunbar then play in the always tough Toyota Classic hosted by Scott County and Great Crossing. They open up with Thomas Nelson.
5. Lexington Christian Academy (11-8) - The Eagles competed in the 11th Region All A Classic this week looking to defend their title. Things started great as they picked up 2 wins over Frankfort Christian Academy and Sayre but fell on a last second layup in the championship to Frankfort. This week LCA is off and has no games scheduled.
6. Bryan Station (9-10) - The Defenders make the biggest jump of anyone this week and are playing good basketball. This past week Bryan Station dropped a 1 point game to Henry Clay and then picked up 2 nice wins over Frederick Douglass and Knox Central in triple overtime!! Bryan Station has vastly improved from last season and has a legit shot to challenge for the 2nd regional tournament spot out of the 42nd District. This week the Defenders head to Sayre and host Trinity.
7. Great Crossing (9-9) - The Warhawks finished the week 2-1 and the two games they won were HUGE ones. Great Crossing picked up two 41st District wins this past week over Western Hills and Franklin County. This puts the Warhawks at 5-0 in district play and in line for the 1 seed. To finish the week Great Crossing lost on the road to Madison Central where they dug themselves a big hole early they just weren't able to get out of. This week Great Crossing hosts the Toyota Classic along with Scott County. They open up with Lafayette.
8. Madison Central (7-10) - The Indians finished the week 1-1 with a win over Great Crossing and a loss to Scott County. These young Indians continue to improve and seem to be headed right where they want to be come February. Up next for Madison Central is West Jessamine and then a trip to Lincoln County.
9. Madison Southern (9-8) - The Eagles finished the week 1-1 with a win over Garrard County and a loss on a neutral court to Logan County. Congrats to senior Chad Fugate on scoring his 1,000th point this past week!! Up next the Eagles head to Montgomery County for their only game this week.
10. Paul Laurence Dunbar (5-13) - The Bulldogs had a rough week falling to Tates Creek, Henry Clay, and Covington Catholic. Tim Hall has returned from injury for the Bulldogs but they still cant seem to find themselves this season. Nothing gets easier as the Bulldogs host Frederick Douglass and Lexington Catholic this week.
11.Scott County (7-10) - The Cardinals continue to struggle this season. Scott County has lost 5 of its last 6 games and this week finished 1-2 with a win over Madison Central and losses to Frederick Douglass and Lafayette. This week the Cardinals host the Toyota Classic along with Great Crossing and they open up with Myrtle Beach Christian Academy.
12. Western Hills (8-8) - The Wolverines had a rough week going 0-2 with losses to Great Crossing and Garrard County. Currently Western Hills sits at 3-1 in the 41st District and in the 2 seed spot. This week the Wolverines host Model then head to Frankfort and Casey County.
13. Franklin County (8-8) - The Flyers finished the week 2-1 with wins over Carroll County and Nicholas County but dropped a tough 41st District game to Great Crossing. This week the Flyers host Shelby County before heading to North Bullitt and Montgomery County. Some good road tests for Franklin County.
14. Frankfort (8-12) - The Panthers snapped a 9 game losing streak in a BIG way this week by winning 3 games this week to capture the 11th Region All A Championship. Those wins were over Berea, Model, and Lexington Christian Academy. This week the Panthers will compete in the All A State Tournament where they open with Bishop Brossart, also they are scheduled to play Western Hills Friday night but that might have to be moved depending on the outcomes at the All A State Tournament.
15. Lafayette (5-13) - The Generals snapped a 5 game losing streak this week!! Early in the week they fell to Lexington Catholic but bounced back nicely to pick up a win over Scott County on the road!! This week Lafayette heads to the Toyota Classic in Georgetown where they open up with one of the hosts, Great Crossing.
16. Berea (11-5) - The Pirates finished the week 1-1 with a loss to Frankfort in the 11th Region All A tournament and a big win over Evangel Christian. This week Berea hosts Jackson County, Danville Christian, and Frankfort Christian.
17. Sayre (7-9) - The Spartans lost their only game this past week to Lexington Christian Academy in the 11th Region All A tournament. This week Sayre hosts Bryan Station and Paris and heads to Shelby County.
18. Model (4-11) - The Patriots dropped their only game of the week last week as well to Frankfort in the 11th Region All A tournament. This week Model hits the road to Western Hills, Bourbon County, and Whitefield Academy.
19. Frankfort Christian Academy (0-12) - The Royals lost 3 games this past week to Lexington Christian, Walden, and Henry County. This week Frankfort Christian heads to Burgin and then hosts Bethlehem and Berea.
GAMES OF THE WEEK
Tuesday January 21st
Henry Clay at Tates Creek
Frederick Douglass at Paul Laurence Dunbar
TOYOTA CLASSIC at Scott County/Great Crossing
All A State Tournament at Richmond