11th Region Week 5 Review
Week 5 is in the books in the 11th Region!! Much of the same from the previous week as far as the rankings go but a couple of shakeups. We have no more undefeated teams in the region and some things are starting to shake out as far as district seeding goes. Not many games to report on from the last week but lets check out whats been going on in Central Kentucky this past week!
1. Lexington Catholic (12-1) - The Knights stay in the top spot this week and rightfully so after the outstanding start to the season. In their only game of the week Lexington Catholic traveled north to St. Henry and took what some would call a head scratching loss to the Crusaders by a score of 70-59. On the surface this looks like a bad loss but after coming off a brutal stretch in the Traditional Bank Holiday Classic and a big district game coming up this week, you cant blame the Knights for not being overly motivated for this game. Still credit to St. Henry for playing well and beating the Knights. This week Lexington Catholic hosts 43rd District rival Lexington Christian and then opens up play in the 2A sectional tournament with Boyle County. Depending on how the game against Boyle County goes the Knights could play multiple 2A games this weekend.
2. Henry Clay (7-5) - The Blue Devils only played one game this past week and picked up a 74-55 win over Sayre in a 42nd District game. Henry Clay is starting to come back to the form we all expected in the preseason and find themselves at #2 in this weeks rankings. This week the Blue Devils host Frederick Douglass and then travel to Scott County. Two big district seed games this week for Henry Clay as the look to get back to the 1 seed and avenge an early season loss to Frederick Douglass. This week will determine a lot for teams in the 42nd District!
3. Tates Creek (9-5) - The Commodores started off the week with a big statement win on the road over Frederick Douglass and ended the week with a loss to a quality opponent in Bourbon County. Tates Creek has played a very competitive schedule early on in the season and its starting to show its usefullness. Amari Taylor and Cion Townsend are playing well for the Commodores and Taylor scored his 1000th career point this past week, congrats to him! Up next for Tates Creek they host a good Woodford County team before traveling to Lafayette in an important 43rd District seeding game!
4. Frederick Douglass (9-4) - The Broncos dropped the only game they played this past week to Tates Creek 77-61. Douglass has had an amazing start to the season and need to keep that up coming into the stretch of 42nd District games they have coming up. This week the travel across town to Henry Clay in a huge 42nd District seed game. The Broncos defeated Henry Clay to begin the season and can really put themselves in the drivers seat in the 42nd District with a win over the Blue Devils this week. This weekend Douglass will also travel to Great Crossing in an intriguing matchup for both teams.
5. Great Crossing (6-6) - The Warhawks took a tough loss in their only game this past week on the road at 12th Region preseason favorite Lincoln County. Great Crossing currently sits at 1-0 in 41st District play and has a chance to improve on that record as they host Frankfort this week before heading to Trinity this weekend and then returning home to host a top 11th Region team in Frederick Douglass.
6. Lexington Christian (8-6) - The Eagles split the two games they played this week with a tough home loss to West Jessamine and a nice neutral court win over Scott in the Tim Short Classic at GRC this weekend. LCA has a HUGE week as they travel to Lexington Catholic and to Paul Laurence Dunbar in 43rd District action. The Eagles sit at 1-2 currently in the district standings but have an opportunity to make up a lot of ground this week if they can find a way to win both games.
7. Bryan Station (6-9) - The Road Warriors of the region, the Defenders have only played one home game all season! This past week Bryan Station went on the road and defeated Frankfort by a huge margin and then followed that up by beating 12th Region foe Southwestern on the road 58-56! Bryan Station has improved by leaps and bounds over the past year and look to be primed to make some noise in their district tournament this year. This week the Defenders host Lafayette in their only game of the week.
8. Madison Central (5-8) - The Indians split their two games this week with a loss at home to a good Collins team and a win over a solid Danville team on a neutral floor. This week Madison Central heads over to Paul Laurence Dunbar before ending the week with Christian County in the Toyota Of Hopkinsville Classic.
9. Paul Laurence Dunbar (5-8) - The Bulldogs hit the road this past weekend to play in the Champions of Kentucky Classic at North Oldham where they dropped a close one to Oldham County before pulling out a nice come from behind win over North Oldham. Leading scorer Tim Hall is currently saddled with a wrist injury and hasnt been playing for the Bulldogs. This week PLD hosts Madison Central and LCA. The LCA game is a big one for both teams as far as seeding goes in the 43rd District!
10. Western Hills (7-4) - The Wolverines make their first appearance in the top 10 of our rankings in a long time. This past week Western Hills picked up a big win over crosstown and 41st District rival Franklin County which helped the Wolverines improve to 4-0 in the 41st District and in line for the ever precious 1 seed. This week the Wolverines host East Jessamine before playing Henry County in the opening round of the 2A Sectional tournament.
11. Scott County (6-6) - Im not sure we have ever had the Cardinals this low EVER but at this time this is where they rank. Scott County dropped their only game this past week with a loss to Clay County on the road. The Cardinals have an immediate chance to climb back up the rankings this week as they host Henry Clay and travel to a good Oldham County team. Scott County desperately needs a win over the Blue Devils to get some positive mojo going for the rest of the season.
12. Madison Southern (6-6) - The Eagles hit the road to Coconut Creek, Florida last week to play in the Rock Holiday Classic and came back as runner up finishing 2-1 with wins over Leman Manhattan Prep and Lake Mary Prep before falling by 2 in the championship game to Riverdale Country out of the Bronx in New York. This week Madison Southern hosts Model and heads across town to Berea. The Berea game is one that looks to be better then it usually is.
13. Franklin County (5-6) - The Flyers are in a bit of a funk lately having dropped 3 of their last 4 including a loss this past week to crosstown 41st District rival Western Hills. Franklin County has fought illness and injuries all year and probably has its best basketball ahead of them but at this point they are where they are. This week the Flyers host Eastern before heading downtown to take on Frankfort in a 41st District clash.
14. Lafayette (4-10) - The Generals participated in the City of Middletown Holiday Classic this past week and finished 1-2 with a win over Henderson County and losses to Highlands and Ohio County. Lafayette just can't seem to find a second scoring option behind Ray Surratt. This week the Generals head to Bryan Station and host Tates Creek to end the week.
15. Berea (10-3) - The Pirates finished the week 2-0 with wins over Williamstown and Jackson City in the Hoosier Gym Classic in Knightstown, Indiana this past week. The Pirates have a chance to climb up in our rankings this week as they host Madison Southern in their only game this week.
16. Frankfort (5-10) - The Panthers have lost seven straight games including a blowout loss to Bryan Station this past week. Frankfort was decimated by graduation from a year ago and this group just cant seem to find its footing. This week the Panthers travel to Great Crossing and host Franklin County in two crucial 41st District seed games for them!
17. Sayre (7-7) - The Spartans broke a three game losing streak this week with a win over Pendelton County but did fall to Henry Clay earlier in the week. Up next for Sayre they head to Rockcastle County. Point guard Will Hairston still remains out due to injury as of last week. That is a big blow for Sayre.
18. Model (4-8) - The Patriots picked up a win this past week over Green County in the Arnie Rison Classic at Williamstown. This week Model heads to Madison Southern and hosts West Jessamine.
19. Frankfort Christian Academy (0-6) - The Royals dropped their only game last week to Danville Christian. This week Frankfort Christian heads to St. Francis and hosts Owen County.
GAMES OF THE WEEK
Tuesday January 7th
Frederick Douglass at Henry Clay
Lexington Christian at Lexington Catholic
Friday January 10th
Madison Southern at Berea
Henry Clay at Scott County
Great Crossing at Trinity
Saturday January 11th
Scott County at Oldham County
2A Sectional Tournaments