11th Region Final Rankings and Postseason Preview
The regular season has come to an end in the state of Kentucky and everyone's records have reset to 0-0 as we enter postseason play! Once again the 11th Region will provide some strong contenders for a state championship run. What has seemed to be a two horse race since Christmas hasnt changed much this week. Lets check out what to expect this upcoming week when the district tournaments begin.
1. Lexington Catholic (27-2) - The Knights finished an out standing regular season by knocking off two of the traditional 12th region powers this week, getting wins over Lincoln County and Wayne County. Ben Johnson had an All State caliber season for Lexington Catholic and looks to lead his team to a region championship. The Knights secured the 1 seed in the always tough 43rd District and will receive a bye. Lexington Catholic will take on the winner of the 4/5 game between Paul Laurence Dunbar and Lafayette.
2. Henry Clay (24-5) - The Blue Devils just cant seem to lose since the calendar turned to 2020. This past week Henry Clay increased its winning streak to 18 games with 3 wins over Scott County, Lafayette, and Taylor County. The Blue Devils seems to be the only real threat to Lexington Catholic in the region and hopefully we get that matchup in the region final! Congrats to senior Marques Warrick as he became Henry Clay's all time leading scorer this past week an absolute amazing accomplishment considering the talent that has been through that school! Henry Clay is the 1 seed in the 42nd District tournament and receives a bye. They will play the winner of Sayre and Frederick Douglass who play in the 4/5 game of the district tournament.
3. Tates Creek (15-12) - The Commodores take the #3 spot by default this week. They dropped their only game of the week last week to Great Crossing. The good news for Tates Creek is they are the 2 seed in the upcoming 43rd District tournament. Tates Creek will take on Lexington Christian Academy, the two teams have split their season series this year with LCA winning the last game just last week.
4. Lexington Christian Academy (18-11) - The Eagles finished off the season this week going 2-1 with wins over Anderson County and Bryan Station and a loss to Trinity on the road. The Eagles have been playing good basketball lately having won 7 of their last 10 games. The Eagles will face off with Tates Creek in the 2/3 game in the 43rd District tournament. The Eagles beat the Commodores just two weeks ago and I expect the next game to be a battle!
5. Paul Laurence Dunbar (12-17) - The Bulldogs might be the hottest team in the region outside the top 2 teams. This past week PLD picked up wins over West Jessamine and Scott County. The bad news for the Bulldogs is they are locked in as the 4 seed in the 43rd District tournament due to poor performances early in the season. The Bulldogs will face Lafayette in the opening round of the district tournament and will have a tough road to qualify for the regional tournament.
6. Scott County (15-15) - The Cardinals finished the season this week by beating Sayre and dropping close games to Henry Clay and Paul Laurence Dunbar. The good news for the Cardinals is they are locked in at the 2 seed in the 42nd District tournament this week. Some more good news for Scott County is they will be facing Bryan Station who slipped past Douglass for the 3 seed. Scott County has defeated Bryan Station twice this year while dropping 2 games to Frederick Douglass along the way. I expect the Defenders to give Scott County all they want though!
7. Madison Central (12-17) - The Indians dropped their last two games of the season. Even though they were losses they came to quality teams in Covington Catholic and South Laurel. This week the Indians start the postseason against Madison Southern in the 44th District tournament. The 44th still draws unlike other districts in the 11th Region. The Indians and Eagles used to play to begin the season but that no longer happens. This will be their first meeting this season. Madison Central is probably the favorite but it is very very close.
8. Frederick Douglass (17-11) - The Broncos had the worst case scenario this week as they lost to Bryan Station and dropped to the 4 seed in the 42nd District tournament. They also dropped a game to Lafayette. The Broncos had an amazing start to the season going 9-1 in their first 10 games but since then are only 8-10. By dropping to the 4 seed they will now face Sayre with the winner taking on the hottest team in the region, Henry Clay.
9. Madison Southern (16-13) - The Eagles picked up 2 nice wins this week over Franklin County and Corbin. Madison Southern will enter the 44th District tournament riding a 4 game win streak as they take on the Madison Central Indians. The 44th does not seed, they draw and arguably the two best teams drew each other this year in Madison Central and Madison Southern. This will be the first meeting of the two teams this season.
10. Franklin County (15-14) - The Flyers had a rough week to end the season dropping a close road game to Madison Southern then losing at home to Anderson County while missing Joe Meador due to sickness. The Flyers will enter the 41st District tournament as the 2 seed and also are the host this season. Franklin County will play Western Hills to start the tournament. The two teams split this season with Franklin County taking the most recent contest. Throw the records out the window when these crosstown rivals meet though. Should be a great game.
11. Great Crossing (14-16) - The Warhawks had been struggling a bit lately but picked up a HUGE momentum building win this past week by beating Tates Creek on the road in a regionla tournament atmosphere type of game. To end the week they dropped a game to 8th Region favorite Oldham County. Great Crossing will enter the 41st District tournament as the 1 seed and play the winner of Frankfort and Frankfort Christian Academy in the semi finals.
12. Frankfort (15-15) - The Panthers lost their only contest this week on the road to Shelby County. Frankfort has had quite the season at one point in the middle of the season the Panthers had a 9 game losing streak and then turned it around to make a run all the way to the All A State Championship game!! The Panthers open up district tournament play against Frankfort Christian Academy and then likely will advance to play Great Crossing. Frankfort split the season series with the Warhawks.
13. Bryan Station (12-17) - The Defenders finished off the regular season going 1-2 in their final week but won the biggest game of the week by beating Frederick Douglass and pushing them to the 3 seed in the 42nd District tournament and a matchup with Scott County. Bryan Station lost both times to Scott County this season but both games were close and I expect the third matchup to be the same.
14. Lafayette (10-20) - The Generals have had a lack luster season but finished it nicely this past week with a win over Frederick Douglass and close loss to Henry Clay. Coming up Lafayette will take on Paul Laurence Dunbar in the 4/5 game of the 43rd District tournament. The Generals dropped both games this season to PLD but I wouldnt be surprised if they were able to sneak by the Bulldogs this time to meet Lexington Catholic. I also wouldnt be surprised if they did not!
15. Berea (21-8) - The Pirates had an outstanding year and finished strong this past week by picking up wins over Heritage Academy, Western Hills, and Frankfort Christian Academy. If the Pirates wouldve played more 11th Region competition they would be higher but they did not so its really hard to move them up any. This week the Pirates will face off with Model in the 44th District tournament. I expect Berea to advance to the district final which will result in them playing at least 2 games against much rougher 11th region competition and hopefully we can see where they really stand.
16. Sayre (16-14) - The Spartans finished the season strong with a 2-1 week. A loss to Scott County early was overshadowed by wins over Kentucky Country Day and Wolfe County. The win over Wolfe County was the Wolves only loss at home this season. The Spartans have a tall task this week as they open up 42nd District tournament play in the 4/5 game against Frederick Douglass. The Broncos are struggling a bit so maybe Sayre can pull an upset!
17. Western Hills (14-16) - The Wolverines are sputtering across the finish line after starting the season on fire. Western Hills has lost 5 of their last 7 games including 2 this past week to Berea and Paris. Western Hills is the 3 seed in the 41st District tournament and will face rival Franklin County for a chance to advance to the regional tournament for the first time in over a decade.
18. Model (10-20) - The Patriots split their final two regular season games falling to Jackson County but beating Powell County. Model will start of district tournament play with Berea, probably the best possible matchup for them. Model and Berea played once this year with the Pirates coming away with a 2 point victory. Expect a good game this week.
19. Frankfort Christian Academy (2-26) - The Royals picked up their second win of the season this week over Kentucky School for the Deaf and then fell to Williamstown and Berea. The Roylas will open up 41st District play with Frankfort High.
DISTRICT TOURNAMENT SCHEDULE
41st District at Franklin County
Monday Feb. 24th - Frankfort vs. Frankfort Christian Academy
Tuesday Feb. 26th - Great Crossing vs. Frankfort/Frankfort Christian Academy
Wednesday Feb. 27th - Franklin County vs. Western Hills
Friday Feb. 28th - Championship
42nd District Tournament at Scott County
Monday Feb. 24th - Frederick Douglass vs. Sayre
Tuesday Feb. 25th - Henry Clay vs. Frederick Douglass/Sayre
Wednesday Feb. 26th - Scott County vs. Bryan Station
Friday Feb. 28th - Championship
43rd District Tournament at Tates Creek
Monday Feb. 24th - Paul Laurence Dunbar vs. Lafayette
Tuesday Feb. 25th - Tates Creek vs. Lexington Christian
Wednesday Feb. 26th - Lexington Catholic vs. Paul Laurence Dunbar/Lafayette
Friday Feb. 28th - Championship
44th District Tournament at Eastern Kentucky University
Monday Feb. 24th - Madison Central vs. Madison Southern
Tuesday Feb. 25th - Berea vs. Model
Friday Feb. 28th - Championship