Final Regular Season Rankings: 1. Bourbon County (24-5) - The Colonels are led by a host of seniors. This could be their best team since the 1980s. Paducah Tilghman transfer Amirion Joyce leads the Colonels, and Brycen Collins is having a big season on offense and defense.
Last Week: Defeated Pendleton County 79-54, defeated Harrison County 86-66
2. George Rogers Clark (22-7) - The Cardinals are led by a quartet of players. Senior Lincoln Bush is having an incredible season, especially from a rebounding perspective. Sophomore Jerone Morton, junior Jared Wellman and senior KJ Rucker are all capable of beating teams. Rucker is a standout defender.
Last Week: Defeated Bryan Station 74-63, defeated Boyd County 71-53
3. Montgomery County (19-11) Sophomore point guard Hagan Harrison and big man junior Rickey Lovette are both having big seasons for the Indians. Brandon Dyer can get hot in a hurry from long range.
Last Week: Defeated North Oldham 81-68
4. Bishop Brossart (23-5) - Senior Ethan Eilerman is listed on the All Region 1st team. Juniors Carson Schirmer and Stephen Verst also average double figures.
Last Week: Lost to Mason County 69-62, defeated Bellevue 56-28
5. Robertson County (22-5) The Black Devils are a scoring machine. Sophomore standout Justin Becker is 2nd in the state in scoring. Senior Ross Becker provides and inside presence along with rebounding.
Last Week: Defeated Bracken County 91-70, defeated Burgin 85-30
6. Mason County (16-11) Robertson County transfer Alex Schuh, a senior, is one of the top players in the region. He is a consistent scorer and rebounder for the Royals.
Last Week: Defeated Bishop Brossart 69-62, lost to Rowan County 50-36
7. Campbell County (15-14) Junior Dane Hegyi and senior Jordan Gross lead the Camels in both scoring and rebounding.
Last Week: Defeated Boone County 78-57, defeated Ryle 74-47
8. Calvary Christian (15-14) The Cougars are having one of their best seasons in school history and it all starts with seniors Cross Dugan and Noah Herald. Herald is a walking double-double.
Last Week: Defeated Nicholas County 61-56, defeated Bellevue 73-29, defeated Southeast (IN) Homeschool 62-46
9. Paris (11-17) Junior Ricqiece Washington has been the man all year for the Greyhounds.
Last Week: Lost to Harrison County 64-61 (3OT), defeated Pendleton County 58-52, defeated Western Hills 71-68
10. Pendleton County (11-18) Junior Tredyn Thomas is having a great season for the Wildcats. He has had some monster games this season.
Last Week: Lost to Bourbon County 79-54, lost to Paris 58-52
11. Augusta (13-17) Sophomore Kason Hinson has led Augusta to some nice wins this season.
Last Week: Lost to Lewis County 81-80, defeated Ludlow 73-62
12. Bracken County (11-19) You wont find many 8th graders putting up better numbers than Blake Reed.
Last Week: Defeated Ludlow 75-73, lost to Robertson County 91-70, lost to Grant County 89-65
13. Scott (6-21) Junior Grant Proffit and sophomore Kyle Huelsman have been the two primary options for Scott all season. Expect Scott to take a step forward next season.
Last Week: Defeated Ryle 59-56, lost to Cooper 50-42
14. Harrison County (5-24) They have a pretty balanced attack this season. Senior Casey Sledd and junior Clay Carpenter are the leading scorers.
Last Week: Defeated Paris 64-61 (3OT), lost to Bourbon County 86-66
15. Nicholas County (5-25) - Senior Morgan Planck leads the team in points and boards.
Last Week: Lost to Calvary Christian 61-56, defeated St. Patrick 79-62, lost to Jackson City 74-62
16. St. Patrick (5-25) 8th grader Jaylan Rigdon has been the key player all year for the Saints.
Last Week: Lost to Bishop Brossart 75-40, lost to Greenup County 84-67, lost to Nicholas County 79-62, lost to Villa Madonna 67-65
37th District - at Campbell County Middle School (Finals are Thursday, February 27th at 7:00 p.m.)
Semifinal #1 Bishop Brossart vs Scott - Tuesday, February 25th at 6:00 p.m.
Bishop Brossart has only 1 loss in region play (to Mason County) and defeated Scott 68-50 on January 28. Scott has really faltered down the stretch this season. Bishop Brossart is the heavy favorite in this one. The Mustangs were the 10th region All A champion and they are a legitimate regional title contender. Semifinal #2 Campbell County vs Calvary Christian - Tuesday, February 25th at 7:30 p.m.
This could be one of the better semifinal games. Calvary Christian has legitimate shot at making their first ever region tournament in school history. They have several impressive results this season, including a 56-51 overtime loss to Bishop Brossart in 10th region All A Classic. Campbell County defeated Calvary Christian 71-56 back in December. The Camels do look to be the favorite in this game. They have quality wins over St. Henry and Bourbon County on their resume.
38th District - at Nicholas County (Finals are Thursday, February 27th at 7:00 p.m.)
Semifinal #1 Robertson County vs Nicholas County - Tuesday, February 25th at 6:00 p.m.
Robertson County is one of the top teams in the region and Nicholas County is ranked near the bottom, so on paper this should not be close. Robertson County defeated Nicholas County 69-65 back on December 20, and then blew out the Bluejackets in the two other games played this season. Since January 10, the Bluejackets have only won once while the Black Devils have only lost once. Semifinal #2 Pendleton County vs Harrison County - Tuesday, February 25th at 8:00 p.m.
Pendleton County has consistently been better than Harrison County this season. The Wildcats defeated the Thoroughbreds 52-45 on January 14 and 70-38 on January 31. Harrison County did defeat Paris in triple overtime last week. Harrison Countys only other region wins this season came against Nicholas County.
39th District at Bracken County (Finals are Thursday, February 27th at 8:15 p.m.)
Semifinal #1 Maysville St. Patrick vs Augusta - Monday, February 24th at 8:15 p.m.
Augusta has not won a game in February, but they should have no trouble with the Saints. St. Patrick does not have a region win this season and Augusta has a 7-9 record against 10th region teams. The Panthers easily defeated the Saints in both regular season matchups. Semifinal #2 Mason County vs Bracken County - Tuesday, February 25th at 8:15 p.m.
Mason County has some impressive wins (George Rogers Clark, Bishop Brossart) and some head-scratching losses (Lewis County, Scott, Fleming County.) Unless they really slip up, they are expected to get past the Bracken County Polar Bears. The Royals defeated them 85-76 back on December 20. The Polar Bears best wins this season have come against Augusta, Calvary Christian, and Pendleton County.
40th District at George Rogers Clark (Finals are Thursday, February 27th at 7:00 p.m.)
Semifinal #1 George Rogers Clark vs Paris - Tuesday, February 25th at 6:00 p.m.
George Rogers Clark defeated Paris twice this season by a combined 49 points. The Cardinals have consistently been ranked near the top of the region and are expected to defeat the Greyhounds. Paris has improved as the season has gone on. They have played a tough schedule this season. Semifinal #2 Bourbon County vs Montgomery County - Tuesday, February 25th at 7:45 p.m.
It is a shame that one of these two teams will have to miss the regional. Bourbon County is ranked in all the major top 25 polls and they have impressive wins over Collins, Henry Clay and Lexington Catholic. The Colonels made it all the way to the state 2A title game before falling to John Hardin. They defeated Montgomery County by 5 points in December and 15 points in January. The Indians are getting hot at the right time, having won 7 straight. This could be the best of the first-round games.