Harrison County 7 Campbell County 4

  1. #1
    dd734's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 06
    Location
    West L.A. - West Lower Alexandria
    Posts
    2,613

    Harrison County 7 Campbell County 4

    Final.
    Advertisement

  2. #2

    Join Date
    Sep 05
    Posts
    1,742

    Good fight for the Camels. The umpires were BOTH awful in this game. I still do not understand how there was NO interference call called on the Harrison Co. runner in the 2nd/3rd inning. There were a couple of other plays but the umpire in the field was way out of his league. He had no business umpiring a varsity game.

  3. #3

    Join Date
    Feb 07
    Posts
    375

    The umpires were awful, but they were awful for both teams. At least it wasn't one sided.

  4. #4

    Join Date
    Sep 05
    Posts
    1,742

    Quote Originally Posted by Breds Fan View Post
    The umpires were awful, but they were awful for both teams. At least it wasn't one sided.
    Sorry to say but the umpires killed Campbell Co. The field umpire said the 2nd baseman straddled the base but never touched it then he says the 2nd baseman was never close to the bag then he never looks at first base for the "2nd out". Then the non call on the interference play at 2nd. The runner hits CCHS SS and never gets called for interference. The field umpire was looking at 1st for some reason when the play was not at 1st. Then the CCHS coach asks the home umpire about the non-call and he says he was looking at 1st. WHAT?! 2 umpires looking at one base when the call was not even at the base. Then the ejection of Rebholz was TERRIBLE.

    The 2 missed calls I think towards Harrison Co were the calls on the stolen bases at 2nd base. Am I missing another call?

  5. #5

    Join Date
    Nov 06
    Posts
    1,553

    If the runner that hit the SS was moving from 1st to 2nd and trying to break up a double play, that would be the plate umpires call. Once the field umpire gets the out/safe call of the play at 2nd he turns to first for the call. The plate umpire is then responsible for any interference, sliding across bag and so forth.

    I am pretty sure this is correct. Please feel free to correct me if I am not.

  6. #6

    Join Date
    May 08
    Posts
    91,216

    Quote Originally Posted by memyselfandi View Post
    Sorry to say but the umpires killed Campbell Co. The field umpire said the 2nd baseman straddled the base but never touched it then he says the 2nd baseman was never close to the bag then he never looks at first base for the "2nd out". Then the non call on the interference play at 2nd. The runner hits CCHS SS and never gets called for interference.?
    So are you saying that the SS got hit by the runner on a force out at 2nd? Where was the fielder when the contact was made?

  7. #7
    dd734's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 06
    Location
    West L.A. - West Lower Alexandria
    Posts
    2,613

    Quote Originally Posted by Clyde View Post
    So are you saying that the SS got hit by the runner on a force out at 2nd? Where was the fielder when the contact was made?
    I believe what memyselfandi is saying is the runner going to second didn't stay down he came up and interfered with the throw to first. Before anyone that was not there tries to explain all this, you need to understand that it was in general agreement from both sides of the field, this guy was less than qualified to be there. The up side, I don't believe anyone has to worry about seeing him in the post season.

  8. #8

    Join Date
    May 08
    Posts
    91,216

    Quote Originally Posted by Coachg13207 View Post
    If the runner that hit the SS was moving from 1st to 2nd and trying to break up a double play, that would be the plate umpires call. Once the field umpire gets the out/safe call of the play at 2nd he turns to first for the call. The plate umpire is then responsible for any interference, sliding across bag and so forth.

    I am pretty sure this is correct. Please feel free to correct me if I am not.
    I am not an umpire. I did though check with some umpires. The consensus is that the base umpire has the force out at 2nd and the out at first and the home plate umpire has the runner at 2nd after the throw is released. Nice work, Coach.

  9. #9

    Join Date
    May 08
    Posts
    91,216

    Quote Originally Posted by dd734 View Post
    I believe what memyselfandi is saying is the runner going to second didn't stay down he came up and interfered with the throw to first. Before anyone that was not there tries to explain all this, you need to understand that it was in general agreement from both sides of the field, this guy was less than qualified to be there. The up side, I don't believe anyone has to worry about seeing him in the post season.
    The Force Play Slide Rule is a rule that I think a fair amount of umpires could brush up on. It's fairly straightforward and I've seen it missed a few times. The runner cannot do a "pop up" slide and make contact with the thrower which is what it sounds like you're describing.

  10. #10
    dd734's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 06
    Location
    West L.A. - West Lower Alexandria
    Posts
    2,613

    I believe if you research my threads you will find that I have never had much to say about the officials, in any sport. If I have said anything at all. I do have to say though, yesterday was a poor performance by the men in blue. IMO, yesterdays performance was less than acceptable for varsity high school umpires. I believe The Thorobreds will agree with that. I however do not buy into the, it was bad for both teams concept. Bad is bad. When you combine poor judgment with lack of knowledge of the rules, it can be a game changer for either team.

Top