Tea Party Shoots Itself in the Foot Again

Page 3 of Originally Posted by Voice of Reason Regardless of the racial debate, the handling of this email by the Tea Party leader shows such a lack of judgment ... 155 comments | 5426 Views | Go to page 1 →

  1. #31
    Getslow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 01
    Location
    A Stranger in a Strange Land
    Posts
    23,298

    Quote Originally Posted by woodsrider View Post
    Let me ask this, why is it not as bad to portray Bush as a monkey as it is Obama? If you take offense to one you should take equal offense to both.
    Really? You're serious? There is serious history behind depictions of black people as monkeys. That history isn't there with white people. I'm not saying that this official is racist, but you have to be seriously beef-headed to be in politics and not get that you shouldn't do this.
    Advertisement

  2. #32

    Join Date
    Nov 01
    Location
    Martinsville, Virginia
    Posts
    17,966

    Quote Originally Posted by UKMustangFan View Post
    Honestly, race didn't even cross my mind until someone specifically mentioned it. Generational differences I guess.
    Probably. Or historical understanding and experience. Whichever way we want to call it.

  3. #33

    Join Date
    Nov 01
    Location
    Martinsville, Virginia
    Posts
    17,966

    Quote Originally Posted by woodsrider View Post
    Let me ask this, why is it not as bad to portray Bush as a monkey as it is Obama? If you take offense to one you should take equal offense to both.
    Again, history would be your answer. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=faUCmq7oTXY

  4. #34
    woodsrider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 04
    Posts
    20,521

    So then what meaning does it have to compare blacks to a monkey? Or whites in the case of W?

  5. #35
    Habib's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 06
    Location
    Buy the ticket, take the ride
    Posts
    12,180

    Quote Originally Posted by woodsrider View Post
    So then what meaning does it have to compare blacks to a monkey? Or whites in the case of W?
    It's mainly been used to both say that black people look like monkeys and, relatedly, to say black people have more in common with primates than (white) humans, and are thus inferior, stupid, primitive, etc. It doesn't have any racial connotations with white people. It doesn't mean the person who sent this out intended it as such, but if they didn't, as Getslow said, they would have to be seriously dense on racial matters to not realize the implication.

  6. #36

    Join Date
    May 10
    Posts
    1,357

    I keep hoping one of these thread titles are literal.

  7. #37

    Join Date
    May 10
    Posts
    1,357

    Quote Originally Posted by cammando View Post
    Not condoning it but this stuff is not exclusive to the tea party... The left has plenty of these idiots too. http://www.kentucky.com/2011/04/19/1...ver-laura.html
    For the record, swastikas are associated with far right-wing nutjobs, not the left.

  8. #38

    Join Date
    May 08
    Posts
    91,216

    Quote Originally Posted by UKMustangFan View Post
    Honestly, race didn't even cross my mind until someone specifically mentioned it. Generational differences I guess.
    Interesting. It very well could be generational.

    However, it should czause your generation to not jump to the "why do they play the race card" conclusion without wondering where the person is coming from.

    Many, many people of color who are , say, 35+ will automatically come to the conclusion that this is a "black joke" and they would be correct.

  9. #39
    Plato's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 07
    Location
    Home Sweet Home
    Posts
    5,053

    Bad move, but I am much more concerned with a politician's stance on government spending than I am with thm giggling and passing on a tasteless joke.

  10. #40

    Join Date
    Nov 04
    Location
    Southgate
    Posts
    6,592

    Comparing a president to a simian is nothing new. George B. McClellan called Lincoln " nothing more than a well-meaning baboon " and and the "Original gorilla" and this while Lincoln was his Commander in Chief .

  11. #41

    Join Date
    Nov 04
    Location
    Southgate
    Posts
    6,592

    Quote Originally Posted by UKMustangFan View Post
    Honestly, race didn't even cross my mind until someone specifically mentioned it. Generational differences I guess.
    More likely a lack of knowledge of history .

  12. #42

    Join Date
    May 01
    Location
    City of Beautiful Homes
    Posts
    25,560

    Quote Originally Posted by Zoot Soup View Post
    For the record, swastikas are associated with far right-wing nutjobs, not the left.
    I believe that was his point. Could be seen as just as offensive.

  13. #43

    Join Date
    May 01
    Location
    City of Beautiful Homes
    Posts
    25,560

    Quote Originally Posted by Clyde View Post
    Interesting. It very well could be generational.

    However, it should czause your generation to not jump to the "why do they play the race card" conclusion without wondering where the person is coming from.

    Many, many people of color who are , say, 35+ will automatically come to the conclusion that this is a "black joke" and they would be correct.
    You can't know that. From her apology:

    "I humbly apologize and ask for your forgiveness of my unwise behavior," the statement said. "I say unwise because at the time I received and forwarded the email, I didn't stop to think about the historic implications and other examples of how this could be offensive."
    In the statement, Davenport also quoted the Bible and said she was "an imperfect Christian" who tried to "live a Christ-like honoring life."

    "I would never do anything to intentionally harm or berate others regardless of ethnicity," she said. "I will not repeat this error."

  14. #44

    Join Date
    May 08
    Posts
    91,216

    Quote Originally Posted by 75center View Post
    You can't know that. From her apology:

    "I humbly apologize and ask for your forgiveness of my unwise behavior," the statement said. "I say unwise because at the time I received and forwarded the email, I didn't stop to think about the historic implications and other examples of how this could be offensive."
    In the statement, Davenport also quoted the Bible and said she was "an imperfect Christian" who tried to "live a Christ-like honoring life."

    "I would never do anything to intentionally harm or berate others regardless of ethnicity," she said. "I will not repeat this error."
    Well, I guess you are technically correct that I do not know what was in the heart of the person who crafted the email.

    I've got a big stack of money that I wouldn't bet on much but I'd bet on this and I'd be right.

  15. #45
    UKMustangFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 05
    Location
    Family of 4, coming January 2019...
    Posts
    64,285

    Quote Originally Posted by KyTmcNcc View Post
    More likely a lack of knowledge of history .
    Couldn't be further from the truth. I'm very well versed on history. I guess I'm stupid for not immediately separating people into groups by the color of their skin though...

Top