Is It Appropriate for Schools to Hold Activities on Good Friday?

  1. #1

    Join Date
    May 08
    Posts
    91,216

    Is It Appropriate for Schools to Hold Activities on Good Friday?

    I read in another thread that a high school is having its prom on Good Friday. My first inclination is to say it's inappropriate and inconsiderate of those that observe the most solemn day in the Catholic church if not all Christian churches.

    I can't understand why Catholic schools have baseball games on Good Friday.

    I can't understand why any school would have a prom on Good Friday.

    Am I off base?
    Advertisement

  2. #2
    Getslow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 01
    Location
    A Stranger in a Strange Land
    Posts
    23,302

    You're not at all off base, but like so many things in the Catholic Church, observance has fallen off sharply. We live in the land of "I do what I want when I want to." Mainstream American Catholicism has a serious examination of whether or not it wants to be Catholic at all ahead of it...

    I can't answer for non-Catholic schools, but certainly the Catholic ones should not be planning anything.

  3. #3

    Join Date
    Feb 11
    Location
    mnts
    Posts
    13,807

    Religion must be kept out of schools, it is not fair for the atheist to have to suffer with religion in school setting. Of course I am kidding but I am sure some on here will not agree.

  4. #4
    UKMustangFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 05
    Location
    Family of 4, coming January 2019...
    Posts
    64,285

    I don't have a problem with it. Of course, I also don't have a problem with schools being in session on MLK or President's day either.

  5. #5

    Join Date
    May 08
    Posts
    91,216

    Quote Originally Posted by Getslow View Post
    You're not at all off base, but like so many things in the Catholic Church, observance has fallen off sharply. We live in the land of "I do what I want when I want to." Mainstream American Catholicism has a serious examination of whether or not it wants to be Catholic at all ahead of it...

    I can't answer for non-Catholic schools, but certainly the Catholic ones should not be planning anything.
    The problem I have is that the Catholic school that schedules baseball games is perpetuating the problem of the decrease in the observance.

  6. #6
    Getslow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 01
    Location
    A Stranger in a Strange Land
    Posts
    23,302

    ^ Agreed.

  7. #7

    Join Date
    Aug 04
    Posts
    25,436

    I think it's absolutely ok, especially if it's a public school. I can understand having a problem with it in Catholic, or Christian schools, but even then it's still a toss up, there are ALOT of kids sent to Catholic/Christian schools for reasons other than their religous affiliation.

  8. #8

    Join Date
    Nov 04
    Location
    5 Miles from nowhere
    Posts
    20,629

    I find it interesting that Christmas is the Holiday, while Easter has always seemed of a lesser nature. In reality, from a Christian perspective, Good Friday and Easter are both far more significant than Christmas. And, I'm not interested in getting into a circular argument that Christ could not have died had he not first been born. That's true. But, His death and resurrection is the centerpiece and foundation of salvation. There's no comparison to be made in terms of importance between the two holidays.

  9. #9

    Join Date
    May 08
    Posts
    91,216

    Quote Originally Posted by sportsfan41 View Post
    I think it's absolutely ok, especially if it's a public school. I can understand having a problem with it in Catholic, or Christian schools, but even then it's still a toss up, there are ALOT of kids sent to Catholic/Christian schools for reasons other than their religous affiliation.
    The public school issue is interesting.

    Beechwood has a decent number of Catholics. Should the school take them into consideration?

  10. #10

    Join Date
    Aug 04
    Posts
    25,436

    Quote Originally Posted by Clyde View Post
    The public school issue is interesting.

    Beechwood has a decent number of Catholics. Should the school take them into consideration?
    No, why should they? What do they do for the muslims, mormons, etc etc.

  11. #11

    Join Date
    May 08
    Posts
    91,216

    Quote Originally Posted by sportsfan41 View Post
    No, why should they? What do they do for the muslims, mormons, etc etc.
    Another fair question.

  12. #12
    UKMustangFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 05
    Location
    Family of 4, coming January 2019...
    Posts
    64,285

    Quote Originally Posted by sportsfan41 View Post
    No, why should they? What do they do for the muslims, mormons, etc etc.
    But Catholic schools should take those that aren't Catholic into consideration? Why the double standard?

  13. #13

    Join Date
    Aug 04
    Posts
    25,436

    Quote Originally Posted by Clyde View Post
    Another fair question.
    The quick response for most would be, well the schools population doesn't have any of those type of believers. Again, maybe that's because the school doesn't even acknowledge their holidays. I'm a Christian, but I think this type of question is more political than religous and I am pretty conservative but I just don't think ANY religion should be "favored" over another when it comes to schools, government etc because I'm afraid that if it is, at some point my religion may not be the "popular/majority religion". Perhaps my perspective is somewhat selfish, but that's just how I've chose to approach the matter and I think it's fairly reasonable/fair.

  14. #14

    Join Date
    Aug 04
    Posts
    25,436

    Quote Originally Posted by UKMustangFan View Post
    But Catholic schools should take those that aren't Catholic into consideration? Why the double standard?
    How's it a double standard if they're not taking their own into consideration? That's what Clyde's dilemma is, also look at where I said it does differ somewhat for Christian/Catholic schools.

  15. #15
    Getslow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 01
    Location
    A Stranger in a Strange Land
    Posts
    23,302

    It doesn't help that we don't live in a culture that is historically Catholic. Look across Europe, you'll find that Good Friday, Easter Monday, Pentecost Monday, the Feast of the Ascension, the Feast of the Assumption and All Saints' Day tend to be public holidays in a lot of countries. The more Catholic the country has been historically, there are even more public holidays. I don't think they ever even go to work for a full week in Spain...

Top