Iran President to not visit Ground Zero

Page 3 of What a gutsy request. http://www.usatoday.com/news/world/2...und-zero_N.htm NEW YORK ... 57 comments | 1141 Views | Go to page 1 →

  1. #31
    RebelK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 04
    Location
    Once a Rebel...Always a Rebel!!!!!
    Posts
    5,635

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatz
    Perhaps a group of students who are armed could enter his guest facilities and take him hostage. Don't hurt or kill him but hold him hostage for say, 444 days.

    What say you?
    Not a bad plan I don't think that he should be allowed to even fly over our land, let along land his plane and be afforted the opportunity to speak.
    Advertisement

  2. #32

    Join Date
    Mar 03
    Location
    I like taters...
    Posts
    9,317

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatz
    Perhaps a group of students who are armed could enter his guest facilities and take him hostage. Don't hurt or kill him but hold him hostage for say, 444 days.

    What say you?
    Perhaps someone would do me the courtesy of locking me in an empty room with the little twerp. I assure you I could take care of business in 4:44 (four minutes and 44 seconds).

  3. #33

    Join Date
    Mar 06
    Posts
    160

    Quote Originally Posted by Sportz Addict
    However, if Iraq has taught us anything it's that our military is too small for massive offensive attacks.
    Being someone who has dedicated the last few years of his life (and at least the next 8) to the study of warfare at West Point, I can tell you that Iraq has definitely not shown us this. If you want to talk about a massive offensive then look back to 2003 when it took us almost no time to get to Baghdad while we were going against a very well dug in, battle hardened enemy and we were drastically out numbered. We would have less trouble getting to Tehran due to the fact that something like 90% of the Soldiers and Marines currently in service have combat experience and know how a battle is fought (compared to probably less than 15% four-five years ago).

    What we have found in Iraq is that our Soldiers were never trained to be policemen. We didn't train to be peacekeepers before the war; we trained to the last war we fought, which has been the case throughout history. If this war has shown us anything it is that the military can no longer train for the "last war" but instead must train for the "next war". It is disputable that our military is too small to police Iraq right now, but if we went into Iran then there would have to be a draft put into place. There are no questions to be asked about that. Our ground forces are too small to police three countries at once. However, if we were to attack Iran it would be fairly easy given that we could attack from Iraq and Afghanistan. These staging areas provide us with supply lines, very convenient air strips, and a choke hold on the region that would prevent that nut case president from escaping into another country like our boy Osama did. This war would be very doable as far as an offensive goes. However, the nation building to follow would prove to be a much longer, harder process than that we have encountered in Iraq. Iran is full of Hezbollah and other terrorist organizations that are battle seasoned and look like Al Qaeda on steroids. The main point is that our military is still large enough and sophisticated enough to be very successful on the offensive. Okay, I'm off my soap box unless anyone would like to hear more…

  4. #34
    Sportz Addict's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 04
    Location
    Land of the Who Dey
    Posts
    9,803

    Quote Originally Posted by Waggle_12
    Being someone who has dedicated the last few years of his life (and at least the next 8) to the study of warfare at West Point, I can tell you that Iraq has definitely not shown us this. If you want to talk about a massive offensive then look back to 2003 when it took us almost no time to get to Baghdad while we were going against a very well dug in, battle hardened enemy and we were drastically out numbered. We would have less trouble getting to Tehran due to the fact that something like 90% of the Soldiers and Marines currently in service have combat experience and know how a battle is fought (compared to probably less than 15% four-five years ago).

    What we have found in Iraq is that our Soldiers were never trained to be policemen. We didn't train to be peacekeepers before the war; we trained to the last war we fought, which has been the case throughout history. If this war has shown us anything it is that the military can no longer train for the "last war" but instead must train for the "next war". It is disputable that our military is too small to police Iraq right now, but if we went into Iran then there would have to be a draft put into place. There are no questions to be asked about that. Our ground forces are too small to police three countries at once. However, if we were to attack Iran it would be fairly easy given that we could attack from Iraq and Afghanistan. These staging areas provide us with supply lines, very convenient air strips, and a choke hold on the region that would prevent that nut case president from escaping into another country like our boy Osama did. This war would be very doable as far as an offensive goes. However, the nation building to follow would prove to be a much longer, harder process than that we have encountered in Iraq. Iran is full of Hezbollah and other terrorist organizations that are battle seasoned and look like Al Qaeda on steroids. The main point is that our military is still large enough and sophisticated enough to be very successful on the offensive. Okay, I'm off my soap box unless anyone would like to hear more…
    Our military is too small. Some of our soldiers are on what 3-4 tours of duties which we are not supposed to do. Our military is supposed to be designed to fight a "2 front war" at anytime. We could not do that as of right now. Afghanistan is certainly not a second front. If anything most soldiers say it's worse there cause of the lack of force we have. If any legit country attacked the US right now we would pull out of Iraq and tell them good luck. This also is not the topic of the thread.

    As far as Columbia U.. wow. They want to allow a guy to use free speech when he doesn't even allow it in his country. Columbia wouldn't allow the Minuteman to speak there right? But they will the Iranian president? I hope their enrollement drops since they will now be labeled as sponsoring a terrorist.

  5. #35

    Join Date
    Aug 04
    Posts
    25,297

    Quote Originally Posted by Sportz Addict
    Our military is too small. Some of our soldiers are on what 3-4 tours of duties which we are not supposed to do. Our military is supposed to be designed to fight a "2 front war" at anytime. We could not do that as of right now. Afghanistan is certainly not a second front. If anything most soldiers say it's worse there cause of the lack of force we have. If any legit country attacked the US right now we would pull out of Iraq and tell them good luck. This also is not the topic of the thread.

    As far as Columbia U.. wow. They want to allow a guy to use free speech when he doesn't even allow it in his country. Columbia wouldn't allow the Minuteman to speak there right? But they will the Iranian president? I hope their enrollement drops since they will now be labeled as sponsoring a terrorist.
    I understand your point, but totally agree with Waggle. Our military is not at all too small to win a war against Iran, in fact it'd probably be similar to that or Iraq. HOWEVER, we are way under sized to occupy yet another country. That's what's hurt the U.S in Iraq. We lost less than 1,000 people in the actual war. Sense then we've basically been "policing" an area, and had not that bad of success all things considered.

    Not saying I like the Iraq results, but if you're saying the U.S army is too small to take Iran(which I really don't wat at all), I just don't think you are even close to being right about that one.

  6. #36
    Sportz Addict's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 04
    Location
    Land of the Who Dey
    Posts
    9,803

    Quote Originally Posted by sportsfan41
    I understand your point, but totally agree with Waggle. Our military is not at all too small to win a war against Iran, in fact it'd probably be similar to that or Iraq. HOWEVER, we are way under sized to occupy yet another country. That's what's hurt the U.S in Iraq. We lost less than 1,000 people in the actual war. Sense then we've basically been "policing" an area, and had not that bad of success all things considered.

    Not saying I like the Iraq results, but if you're saying the U.S army is too small to take Iran(which I really don't wat at all), I just don't think you are even close to being right about that one.
    I understand your point as well. However, the job of the Army is to occupy and hold. The Marines are the hammer, the Air Force and Navy are primarily aerial support, or water support. We have struggled to secure a country about the size of Texas against an Army of only Militia. They are not a conventional army with mechanized units or aerial support.

    And again many reservist are serving far too many tours of duties...and are often stuck staying past scheduled time. If I remember correctly and I am not sure.. the Clinton admin did downsize the military... no surprise, democrats are not for the military.

    Present day if we engaged in a conflict with a conventional military I think we would be forced to use a draft due our present size. If we are struggling to police "Texas" how would we fight a ground war in China or Russia?

    Again we are off topic and it's just my opinion. I hope we never have to find out.

  7. #37
    IM4THEHOUNDS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 06
    Location
    Log Cabin in the country
    Posts
    1,935

    Quote Originally Posted by Pepper II
    I would not allow him to even fly over in a plane. He should be no where near the site.
    I agree. He is here to promote and spew his propaganda. He says that we have not heard the "real" story yet. Baloney. I would cancel the forum at Columbia University as well and keep him away from the limelight. If he wants to tell us something he can tell it to us without the lights and cameras. I wouldn't give him the time of day. I am glad they refused him the visit to Ground Zero. I traveled there a couple of years ago with a group of history teachers. It is a solemn place to see . . . we do not need a proclaimed America hater and terrorist going there and mocking it. It makes me sick.

  8. #38

    Join Date
    Nov 04
    Posts
    2,253

    Quote Originally Posted by Pepper II
    He is the president of a nation we consider to be a terrorist supporter and supplier of weaponry used against our troops in Iraq.

    We believe him to have been a member of the group who held our embassy staffers hostage for 444 days in the late '70s.

    I could not take even a remote chance that he would go home and gloat that he stood at the site of Al Queda's greatest conquest.

    Watch what he says during his address to the UN and see if he should be given any courtesy at all on America soil.

    Was anyone on BGP not allowed to leave their base during Thankgiving of 1979?

  9. #39

    Join Date
    Nov 04
    Posts
    2,253

    It is a slap in the face to anyone who has served our country, and also to the person's who perished in 911.

  10. #40
    billyrayjoebob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 06
    Location
    Pikeville
    Posts
    3,379

    Quote Originally Posted by Waggle_12
    Being someone who has dedicated the last few years of his life (and at least the next 8) to the study of warfare at West Point, I can tell you that Iraq has definitely not shown us this. If you want to talk about a massive offensive then look back to 2003 when it took us almost no time to get to Baghdad while we were going against a very well dug in, battle hardened enemy and we were drastically out numbered. We would have less trouble getting to Tehran due to the fact that something like 90% of the Soldiers and Marines currently in service have combat experience and know how a battle is fought (compared to probably less than 15% four-five years ago).

    What we have found in Iraq is that our Soldiers were never trained to be policemen. We didn't train to be peacekeepers before the war; we trained to the last war we fought, which has been the case throughout history. If this war has shown us anything it is that the military can no longer train for the "last war" but instead must train for the "next war". It is disputable that our military is too small to police Iraq right now, but if we went into Iran then there would have to be a draft put into place. There are no questions to be asked about that. Our ground forces are too small to police three countries at once. However, if we were to attack Iran it would be fairly easy given that we could attack from Iraq and Afghanistan. These staging areas provide us with supply lines, very convenient air strips, and a choke hold on the region that would prevent that nut case president from escaping into another country like our boy Osama did. This war would be very doable as far as an offensive goes. However, the nation building to follow would prove to be a much longer, harder process than that we have encountered in Iraq. Iran is full of Hezbollah and other terrorist organizations that are battle seasoned and look like Al Qaeda on steroids. The main point is that our military is still large enough and sophisticated enough to be very successful on the offensive. Okay, I'm off my soap box unless anyone would like to hear more…
    Great post and I would like to hear more...

  11. #41
    billyrayjoebob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 06
    Location
    Pikeville
    Posts
    3,379

    BTW, Iran's president is speaking at Columbia University...I don't know if this is a good thing or not...

  12. #42

    Join Date
    Nov 04
    Posts
    2,253

    It is not - JMO

  13. #43

    Join Date
    Aug 04
    Posts
    25,297

    Anyone see him interviewed today? I believe it was CBS, may've been ABC though.

  14. #44
    THEGREENDANDY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 05
    Location
    Full speed or nothing
    Posts
    1,738

    Now would be a good time to strike Iran.

  15. #45

    Join Date
    Dec 03
    Location
    Palm Desert, CA
    Posts
    23,817

    Quote Originally Posted by THEGREENDANDY
    Now would be a good time to strike Iran.
    Why? So we can have one big theater instead of two separate ones?

Top