Guns on college campuses...your thoughts?

  1. #1
    True blue (and gold)'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 06
    Location
    “The world’s problems begin with the belief that some human lives are more important than others.”
    Posts
    29,720

    Guns on college campuses...your thoughts?

    I'm not entirely sure where I stand on this issue, but this article in my local paper got me thinking more about it: http://madisoncourier.com/main.asp?F...bSectionID=961

    What are your thoughts?
    Advertisement

  2. #2
    Habib's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 06
    Location
    Buy the ticket, take the ride
    Posts
    12,180

    What's wrong with the current policy? I don't necessarily mind if those with concealed carry permits carry guns on campuses, though I think I would be a little uneasy about students carrying them, but outside of ideology I don't see any reason the current policy needs changed.

  3. #3
    True blue (and gold)'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 06
    Location
    “The world’s problems begin with the belief that some human lives are more important than others.”
    Posts
    29,720

    Quote Originally Posted by Habib View Post
    What's wrong with the current policy? I don't necessarily mind if those with concealed carry permits carry guns on campuses, though I think I would be a little uneasy about students carrying them, but outside of ideology I don't see any reason the current policy needs changed.
    The way that I understand it, not all states allow concealed carry on campuses.

  4. #4
    Habib's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 06
    Location
    Buy the ticket, take the ride
    Posts
    12,180

    Quote Originally Posted by True blue (and gold) View Post
    The way that I understand it, not all states allow concealed carry on campuses.
    That's what I meant by current policy. I guess I phrased that strangely.

  5. #5
    True blue (and gold)'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 06
    Location
    “The world’s problems begin with the belief that some human lives are more important than others.”
    Posts
    29,720

    I understand the concern that some might have about being caught in the crossfire of an exchange between a gunman and someone trying to stop him. However, I think that I'd rather take that chance than be "sitting ducks" in a classroom.

  6. #6
    Bluto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 10
    Location
    You were NOT hired for your brains, you hippopotamic land-mass!!
    Posts
    14,437

    Quote Originally Posted by True blue (and gold) View Post
    I understand the concern that some might have about being caught in the crossfire of an exchange between a gunman and someone trying to stop him. However, I think that I'd rather take that chance than be "sitting ducks" in a classroom.

  7. #7

    Join Date
    Sep 06
    Posts
    3,313

    Quote Originally Posted by True blue (and gold) View Post
    I understand the concern that some might have about being caught in the crossfire of an exchange between a gunman and someone trying to stop him. However, I think that I'd rather take that chance than be "sitting ducks" in a classroom.
    While that is a reasonable thought, considering ALL of the classrooms in the United States what are the odds of a deranged individual coming into a particular classroom and unloading? How much do those odds increase if the students are walking around with holsters?

  8. #8
    Hearsay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 05
    Location
    W. 35th St. brownstone
    Posts
    10,478

    Rather be judged by twelve than carried out by six applies equally on college campuses as anywhere else.

  9. #9

    Join Date
    Aug 08
    Location
    The "859"
    Posts
    3,920

    I think people who are screened and have their Concealed carry permit should be allowed to carry wherever they want.

  10. #10
    woodsrider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 04
    Posts
    20,521

    Quote Originally Posted by 2 Humped Camel View Post
    I think people who are screened and have their Concealed carry permit should be allowed to carry wherever they want.
    Actually I think a property owners rights to allow someone to carry on their property out weigh the individual rights to carry where they want. As far as college campuses go I think it should be up to the college. If it is a state owned college then it should be treated as any other state owned property.

  11. #11
    Run To State's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 03
    Location
    “I've got a strong urge to fly. But I got nowhere to fly to."
    Posts
    30,530

    Quote Originally Posted by acemona View Post
    While that is a reasonable thought, considering ALL of the classrooms in the United States what are the odds of a deranged individual coming into a particular classroom and unloading? How much do those odds increase if the students are walking around with holsters?
    I'd say the odds decrease. The thought that they may not get off a shot or two before being shot themselves might just be enough to keep it from happening. I think the odds of it happening in an area know for being a gun free zone is greater.

  12. #12

    Join Date
    Nov 01
    Location
    Martinsville, Virginia
    Posts
    17,967

    Quote Originally Posted by Hearsay View Post
    Rather be judged by twelve than carried out by six applies equally on college campuses as anywhere else.
    I don't know about you Hearsay but it will take at least 8 to carry me out.

  13. #13

    Join Date
    Nov 01
    Location
    Martinsville, Virginia
    Posts
    17,967

    Quote Originally Posted by Run To State View Post
    I'd say the odds decrease. The thought that they may not get off a shot or two before being shot themselves might just be enough to keep it from happening. I think the odds of it happening in an area know for being a gun free zone is greater.
    RTS, I don't know if any gunmen that I've read about on these sprees actually consider "someone packing" as a deterrent. Most are seriously disturbed individuals who not only want to harm others but themselves. I think their delusional world wouldn't entertain the question: "I don't think I'll end it all there, someone might shoot me."

  14. #14

    Join Date
    Aug 07
    Posts
    5,618

    I would allow it. I mean it's not like anyone is searching for guns on college campuses right now anyways, so odds are they are still there. And on top of that like most gun laws, the only ones they affect are the ones that are going to be responsible about gun ownership anyways and obey the laws. The crazies will still get the guns to campus, this just limits those that have guns that would stand up and stop them.

  15. #15
    True blue (and gold)'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 06
    Location
    “The world’s problems begin with the belief that some human lives are more important than others.”
    Posts
    29,720

    Does anyone have any statistics on gun-related crimes committed by persons who have a C/C? I am going to speculate that it is minimal. If true, then I see little reason not to allow C/C on college campuses.

Top