Good news from Iraq

Page 2 of Originally Posted by Aiden Seamus But is "the enemy at our door" in Iraq? I thought we were going after the people who orchestrated 9/11....t... 64 comments | 1787 Views | Go to page 1 →

  1. #16
    Achilles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 06
    Location
    Kentucky, nuff said
    Posts
    79

    Quote Originally Posted by Aiden Seamus
    So, you're saying that reduced attacks and 40 IED's make up for all those killed in this "war?"

    Wow, over 70,000 people dead and all I got were these lousy IED's.....

    There is no good news from Iraq.
    Sure glad you weren't around in the 1940's. The numbers were a little bigger back then.
    Advertisement

  2. #17

    Join Date
    Nov 01
    Location
    Martinsville, Virginia
    Posts
    17,912

    Quote Originally Posted by Achilles
    Sure glad you weren't around in the 1940's. The numbers were a little bigger back then.

    So was the scope of the conflict and the goals much more clearly defined. It also helped to have the alliances we had then.

  3. #18
    Aiden Seamus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 07
    Location
    Time is the fire in which we burn.
    Posts
    1,663

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatz
    So was the scope of the conflict and the goals much more clearly defined. It also helped to have the alliances we had then.

  4. #19
    H's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 00
    Location
    The Luxury Box at Male's Historic Maxwell Field. LET'S GO BULLDOGS!
    Posts
    4,208

    Quote Originally Posted by Achilles
    Sure glad you weren't around in the 1940's. The numbers were a little bigger back then.
    It is preposterous to compare the Iraq war with World War II.

  5. #20
    Achilles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 06
    Location
    Kentucky, nuff said
    Posts
    79

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatz
    So was the scope of the conflict and the goals much more clearly defined. It also helped to have the alliances we had then.
    You mean like getting rid of a dictator who was no immediate threat to us? (Hitler). Or responding to an unprovoked attack by another country? (Japan)

    As far as allies go, we bailed out almost every single one of them in WWII, including the Soviets who received about $11 billion in war materials from us.

  6. #21

    Join Date
    Dec 03
    Location
    Palm Desert, CA
    Posts
    23,817

    Quote Originally Posted by H
    It is preposterous to compare the Iraq war with World War II.
    Are you sure? Hitler and Sadaam have much in common, including an invasion into a neigboring country for their resources years before the US joined the war.

  7. #22

    Join Date
    Dec 00
    Location
    Louisville, Ky USA
    Posts
    4,547

    Quote Originally Posted by HHSDad
    Are you sure? Hitler and Sadaam have much in common, including an invasion into a neigboring country for their resources years before the US joined the war.
    Yes I am sure. Nazi Germany had the ability to pose a real threat to the United States. Iraq did not. Also, a minor point, but Germany declared war on the United States prior to the United States declaring war on Germany. Iraq did not.

  8. #23

    Join Date
    Dec 00
    Location
    Louisville, Ky USA
    Posts
    4,547

    Quote Originally Posted by Achilles
    You mean like getting rid of a dictator who was no immediate threat to us? (Hitler). Or responding to an unprovoked attack by another country? (Japan)

    As far as allies go, we bailed out almost every single one of them in WWII, including the Soviets who received about $11 billion in war materials from us.
    What in the world makes you think that Germany was no threat to the United States? They also declared war on the US.

  9. #24

    Join Date
    Dec 03
    Location
    Palm Desert, CA
    Posts
    23,817

    On March 16, 1935, the Versailles Treaty was violated as Hitler ordered Germany to re-arm.

    Faced with no opposition, Hitler moved troops into the Rhineland on March 7, 1936.

    These things all happened before Germany became The power in Europe. What if someone had stepped in before 1939 and said, "It ain't going to happen."

  10. #25
    Achilles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 06
    Location
    Kentucky, nuff said
    Posts
    79

    Quote Originally Posted by Trinity alum
    What in the world makes you think that Germany was no threat to the United States? They also declared war on the US.
    Germany was only a threat because we would not remain neutral. We were aiding enemies of both the Japanese and the Germans long before December 1941.

  11. #26
    Ms Liberty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 06
    Location
    Go Reds!!!
    Posts
    3,903

    I would rather fight our enemies in their country than have to fight the on our soil.

  12. #27
    Cats Eye's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 04
    Posts
    759

    Quote Originally Posted by Ms Liberty
    I would rather fight our enemies in their country than have to fight the on our soil.
    Thats exactly how i feel. I will risk my life every minute of everyday just so that the lives of my wife and son are safe.

  13. #28

    Quote Originally Posted by H
    It is preposterous to compare the Iraq war with World War II.
    No its not. Its preposterous to for us to stick our head in the sand (again) and think that Hussein was never going to try to harm the U.S., its national interests and its people. That's not only preposterous, it would be a total breach of their duties for our elected officials to do so.

  14. #29

    Join Date
    May 07
    Location
    Mystic Knights of the Sea Lodge Hall
    Posts
    548

    If we had had 24 hour news led by CNN, MSNBC, etc. at the time of WWII, all of us would be speaking German today.

  15. #30

    Join Date
    Dec 69
    Posts
    0

    Quote Originally Posted by Kingfish Stevens
    If we had had 24 hour news led by CNN, MSNBC, etc. at the time of WWII, all of us would be speaking German today.
    And "The Greatest" Generation...wouldn't be considered that.

Top