Did David Williams Lose the Election?

  1. #1
    Voice of Reason's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 08
    Location
    N. KY.
    Posts
    34,237

    Did David Williams Lose the Election?

    Of all the stupid political plays I have seen, David Williams throwing down the gauntlet on the budget with cuts to education among other things is near the top of the list. I don't see any way he is going to be able to spin this during the election to look good. IMO he just handed the election to Beshear. Surely some viable Republican candidate will look at this bonehead move and jump into the battle? I know it is late but opportunity is there!
    Advertisement

  2. #2
    woodsrider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 04
    Posts
    20,521

    It always amazing me that when cuts need to be made education is usually first on the chopping block.

  3. #3
    mcpapa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 05
    Location
    Home of a proud papa
    Posts
    62,160

    Quote Originally Posted by woodsrider View Post
    It always amazing me that when cuts need to be made education is usually first on the chopping block.
    Don't you know that teachers make WAY too much money for the little work that they do?

  4. #4

    Join Date
    Jul 03
    Location
    kentucky
    Posts
    836

    What is the average teacher salary in KY and how many days do they work? Not trying to start anything negative just wondering?

  5. #5
    Voice of Reason's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 08
    Location
    N. KY.
    Posts
    34,237

    Quote Originally Posted by lynks66 View Post
    What is the average teacher salary in KY and how many days do they work? Not trying to start anything negative just wondering?
    Average teacher salary I am not sure of. Teachers start out in the mid $30,000 range and then get increases based on experience, gaining their masters degree, etc. I would guess the average public school teacher makes around $45-50K. That is purely a guess.

    Here is another factor people often aren't aware of. Most teachers spend part of their income on supplies for their class room. I was very surprised when I heard that. I assumed the school system covered all those costs.

    Some of the teachers on here will probably correct me on some of this but those figures are in the ball park.

  6. #6

    Join Date
    Feb 10
    Location
    a contest
    Posts
    3,931

    There appears to be a movement afoot to get budgets under control. The difficulty is where do you cut. So far the Republicans appear to be attempting to break the unions by doing away with collective bargaining. It appears from yesterdays address by the governor of Ohio that funding was increased slightly for education. I think what they are ultimately shooting for is to lower some of the other expenditures-like health care and pensions as these are quite a load for state to cover...also for the Republican governors to try to break the unions is smart for them. The unions almost always support the Democratic candidates.

    It has turned into the Replublicans going after unions to stop that influx of cash going to the Dems, and the Dems going after Wall Street as that flow of money tends to head towards the Republicans.

  7. #7

    Join Date
    Jul 03
    Location
    kentucky
    Posts
    836

    Quote Originally Posted by Voice of Reason View Post
    Average teacher salary I am not sure of. Teachers start out in the mid $30,000 range and then get increases based on experience, gaining their masters degree, etc. I would guess the average public school teacher makes around $45-50K. That is purely a guess.

    Here is another factor people often aren't aware of. Most teachers spend part of their income on supplies for their class room. I was very surprised when I heard that. I assumed the school system covered all those costs.

    Some of the teachers on here will probably correct me on some of this but those figures are in the ball park.
    Thanks!

  8. #8

    Join Date
    May 01
    Location
    City of Beautiful Homes
    Posts
    25,560

    Quote Originally Posted by woodsrider View Post
    It always amazing me that when cuts need to be made education is usually first on the chopping block.
    What's the states largest expense? If it's education I can see why it's first in line.

  9. #9

    Join Date
    Nov 02
    Posts
    55,094

    Quote Originally Posted by 75center View Post
    What's the states largest expense? If it's education I can see why it's first in line.
    Actually, I would bet payroll as a total expense would be the largest, and teachers should not have to bear the brunt of the cuts. There are plenty of areas of waste and the cuts should be broad, not centered in one area. Make it as painless as possible by spreading the cuts around, not targeting one sector.

  10. #10
    Voice of Reason's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 08
    Location
    N. KY.
    Posts
    34,237

    Quote Originally Posted by 75center View Post
    What's the states largest expense? If it's education I can see why it's first in line.
    It seems like the medicaid expense is the one drawing the most attention. It just goes to show how big an expense health care already is to the government before Obamacare ever goes into place. An exec of an area hospital pointed that out to me during the healthcare debate. His point was we already have government healthcare because of all the money spent on medicare/medicaid.

  11. #11
    woodsrider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 04
    Posts
    20,521

    Quote Originally Posted by lynks66 View Post
    What is the average teacher salary in KY and how many days do they work? Not trying to start anything negative just wondering?
    I have no idea on salary but I believe one of our teachers on here stated once that their contacts are for 180 days.

  12. #12
    woodsrider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 04
    Posts
    20,521

    Quote Originally Posted by 75center View Post
    What's the states largest expense? If it's education I can see why it's first in line.
    Good point. I didn't know the answer to that question so I went a looking.

    2010-2012 Total Revenue - $18.1 Billion
    45.1% - Education
    13.5% - Post Secondary Education
    12.6% - Medicaid
    10.9% - Criminal Justice
    10.8% - All Other
    7.1% - Human Services

    It's pretty easy to see after looking at the numbers why education is usually the first on the Block.

  13. #13

    Join Date
    Nov 01
    Location
    Martinsville, Virginia
    Posts
    17,962

    Quote Originally Posted by woodsrider View Post
    Good point. I didn't know the answer to that question so I went a looking.

    2010-2012 Total Revenue - $18.1 Billion
    45.1% - Education
    13.5% - Post Secondary Education
    12.6% - Medicaid
    10.9% - Criminal Justice
    10.8% - All Other
    7.1% - Human Services

    It's pretty easy to see after looking at the numbers why education is usually the first on the Block.
    I'm curious, how many employees make up each of the above listed category? How many citizens are served in each?

    For example: If there are more employees that have to be paid in the education portion, they will naturally have the larger part of the budget. But what is the cost per employee average out to and the same with Human Services, Criminal Justice, et al.

  14. #14
    woodsrider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 04
    Posts
    20,521

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatz View Post
    I'm curious, how many employees make up each of the above listed category? How many citizens are served in each?

    For example: If there are more employees that have to be paid in the education portion, they will naturally have the larger part of the budget. But what is the cost per employee average out to and the same with Human Services, Criminal Justice, et al.
    No clue. I got the numbers I posted from here http://www.osbd.ky.gov/NR/rdonlyres/...BudInBrief.pdf

    After looking at it again I'm not sure what I posted is correct. There are two pie charts on pages 10 and 11 of the document for the link above. The numbers I posted came from the chart titled Distribution of General Fund Appropriations. The second pie chart is titled Distribution of All Funds Appropriations. Those numbers are quite different.

    Total - $60.3 Billion
    Medicaid - 19.7%
    Postsecondary Education - 19.4%
    Education - 17%
    All Other - 16.2%
    Transportation - 8.6%
    Capital Projects - 7.7%
    Human Services - 7.1%
    Criminal Justice Services - 4.3%

  15. #15

    Join Date
    Aug 03
    Location
    Louisville
    Posts
    14,545

    You realize that the cuts that Williams is calling for is just a fraction of a percentage of the total education budget, correct?

    I'm in no way shape or form a supporter of Williams but I refuse to believe that there is any place where the state spends money that couldn't be streamlined and made more efficient. I also don't see education as some sacred cow that shouldn't face the same bugetary scrutiny that any other state agency does.

Top