"Duh, Winning!" (and other possible slogans for Obama's 2012 campaign)

Page 5 of Originally Posted by acemona Is it really broken: http://www.fair.org/index.php?page=3200 This one of course is even better: http://www.ssa.gov/oact/tr... 88 comments | 1939 Views | Go to page 1 →

  1. #61

    Join Date
    Feb 10
    Posts
    2,043

    Quote Originally Posted by acemona View Post
    Still not seen a single person that says SS is a bad program.
    You are completely missing the point. Whether it is good or bad, majority of people want it reformed to ensure its future stability.
    Advertisement

  2. #62

    Join Date
    Sep 06
    Posts
    3,313

    Quote Originally Posted by marvel View Post
    You are completely missing the point. Whether it is good or bad, majority of people want it reformed to ensure its future stability.
    The point we are debating was the response to my statement that a vast majority of people think it is one of the greatest programs this country has instituted. We are not debating its solvency. People want it reformed BECAUSE they think it is a great program, same with medicare. You have moved the goal post.

  3. #63

    Join Date
    Feb 10
    Posts
    2,043

    Quote Originally Posted by acemona View Post
    The point we are debating was the response to my statement that a vast majority of people think it is one of the greatest programs this country has instituted. We are not debating its solvency. People want it reformed BECAUSE they think it is a great program, same with medicare. You have moved the goal post.
    ????

    Whether or not if it is working parallels with how great it is. That is what I am saying and that is why I said you are missing the point.

    You have proved my point.

  4. #64

    Join Date
    May 01
    Location
    City of Beautiful Homes
    Posts
    25,560

    Quote Originally Posted by acemona View Post
    The point we are debating was the response to my statement that a vast majority of people think it is one of the greatest programs this country has instituted. We are not debating its solvency. People want it reformed BECAUSE they think it is a great program, same with medicare. You have moved the goal post.
    People want it reformed so that they will get their money out of it because they're stuck with it, not because they think it's a great program. I want it reformed because I know it's not going away.

  5. #65

    Join Date
    Aug 03
    Location
    Louisville
    Posts
    14,545

    Quote Originally Posted by acemona View Post
    Never said I wasn't worried about, but apparently you too think it is a good program and you want it to continue. I wasn't complaining about not getting to participating, just getting all of the facts out there. And I do contribute to my pension, we have been through this before. I contribute more than 10% of my paycheck each pay period to my retirement. 27 years does not give me full benefit, that occurs after 30. CBO (I think), or at least an independent 3rd party has said SS - under the status quo - is solvent until 2037 maybe longer. Lets see, if you are 50 now you will be 76 when we are supposed to even have a problem with SS - unless of course the republicans screw it up before then.

    Still not seen a single person that says SS is a bad program.
    Please don't put words in my mouth. I think Social Security is a bad program. The only reason I worry about is is because of the amount of money I've put into it. If I had the option I would take 100% of the money I have had stolen from me and put it into a retirement program of my choosing. SO you have 10% taken and after 30 years you get to retire with a full pension. No wonder you favor SS so much. It doesn't cost you anything so why be concerned about everyone that is forced to take part. Is this you let them eat cake moment? It certainly seems that it would be very easy to speak of how great SS is when it has ZERO affect on your life.

  6. #66

    Join Date
    Sep 06
    Posts
    3,313

    Quote Originally Posted by All Tell View Post
    Please don't put words in my mouth. I think Social Security is a bad program. The only reason I worry about is is because of the amount of money I've put into it. If I had the option I would take 100% of the money I have had stolen from me and put it into a retirement program of my choosing. SO you have 10% taken and after 30 years you get to retire with a full pension. No wonder you favor SS so much. It doesn't cost you anything so why be concerned about everyone that is forced to take part. Is this you let them eat cake moment? It certainly seems that it would be very easy to speak of how great SS is when it has ZERO affect on your life.
    Just for kicks and giggles, my dad died when I was five and I benefited from the money he had paid into social security until I graduated from high school. So feel free to take some of the money that he paid into the system that he didn't get to enjoy. It could have gone to me during college but Ronald Reagan thought my single mom's secretary's salary was enough and we didn't the SS that my dad had paid. So you are wrong. I have been effected by it, both positively and negatively.

  7. #67

    Join Date
    Feb 05
    Location
    Pendleton, KY (home of the Wildcats)
    Posts
    2,578

    Social Security has only worked because it always relies on the future. Just like any other Ponzi Scheme the 1st into the scheme do well, but as time goes by, the sum of money becomes too large and cannot attract enough investors to continue the program. A better method would be a mandatory retirement fund.

    Social Security was good for the original participates, but bad in the long run as it, with Medicare and Medicaid, are on the verge of destroying the country financially.
    I even have a video of a commerical of the 1964 Presidential Election showing LBJ accusing the Republicans of wanting to take away Social Security benefits. We have known for 50 plus years that major changes were needed, but the Dems keep trotting out the same old scare tactics.

  8. #68

    Join Date
    Aug 03
    Location
    Louisville
    Posts
    14,545

    Quote Originally Posted by acemona View Post
    Just for kicks and giggles, my dad died when I was five and I benefited from the money he had paid into social security until I graduated from high school. So feel free to take some of the money that he paid into the system that he didn't get to enjoy. It could have gone to me during college but Ronald Reagan thought my single mom's secretary's salary was enough and we didn't the SS that my dad had paid. So you are wrong. I have been effected by it, both positively and negatively.
    I'm truly sorry you lost your father BUT the system is what it is. It's a poorly run program that I have no faith in whatsoever. Please explain how Regan caused you to lose benefits because I know he cut back on Pell Grants but I don't recall him doing anything to SS. BTW back in my tree loving left leaning liberal days I was on a full ride at the local University and I qualified for $500 a semester in Pell Grants. I took the money and as I recall killed brain cells. I never should have gotten that money, I didn't need it. I figured that out after I grew up. Maybe, just maybe the cuts in grants that were made were needed???

  9. #69

    Join Date
    May 01
    Location
    City of Beautiful Homes
    Posts
    25,560

    Quote Originally Posted by acemona View Post
    Just for kicks and giggles, my dad died when I was five and I benefited from the money he had paid into social security until I graduated from high school. So feel free to take some of the money that he paid into the system that he didn't get to enjoy. It could have gone to me during college but Ronald Reagan thought my single mom's secretary's salary was enough and we didn't the SS that my dad had paid. So you are wrong. I have been effected by it, both positively and negatively.

    For someone who has benefited from the system this post shows a real lack of knowledge about the program, both it's history and how it operates.

  10. #70
    True blue (and gold)'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 06
    Location
    “The world’s problems begin with the belief that some human lives are more important than others.”
    Posts
    29,708

    These are some interesting slogan.

  11. #71

    Join Date
    Sep 06
    Posts
    3,313

    Originally, the program was set up so that if a person lost a parent that person could receive SSI until they were 18 or while they were in college. Reagan and the congress changed it to say 18 or graduated from High School. It happened in 1981 with the Reconciliation Act Repeal of Social Security. If you were in college prior to 1982 the SSI would stay with you until you were done. Those who entered college after 1982 did not receive SSI. I graduated H.S. in 1985. Which part am I missing about "it's (sic) history and how it operates."?

  12. #72

    Join Date
    May 01
    Location
    City of Beautiful Homes
    Posts
    25,560

    Quote Originally Posted by acemona View Post
    Originally, the program was set up so that if a person lost a parent that person could receive SSI until they were 18 or while they were in college. Reagan and the congress changed it to say 18 or graduated from High School. It happened in 1981 with the Reconciliation Act Repeal of Social Security. If you were in college prior to 1982 the SSI would stay with you until you were done. Those who entered college after 1982 did not receive SSI. I graduated H.S. in 1985. Which part am I missing about "it's (sic) history and how it operates."?
    Most of it.

    Reagan saved it for a while. You should love him, he raised taxes.

  13. #73

    Join Date
    Sep 06
    Posts
    3,313

    Quote Originally Posted by 75center View Post
    Most of it.

    Reagan saved it for a while. You should love him, he rased taxes.
    Enlighten me then - I lived it, but I was 15-18 when the changes took place. This is certainly the way that I remember it, I even quoted the law/act that changed SS. Reagan did not save SS for me.

  14. #74

    Join Date
    May 01
    Location
    City of Beautiful Homes
    Posts
    25,560

    Quote Originally Posted by acemona View Post
    Enlighten me then - I lived it, but I was 15-18 when the changes took place. This is certainly the way that I remember it, I even quoted the law/act that changed SS. Reagan did not save SS for me.
    I lived it too. I was funding your payments. He saved it for the next 5 year old who loses a parent. It's ok if that child doesn't get the money until 18 as long as you get yours through college? Why should it have covered an adult going to college anyway? Why not the poor guy who has to go into the workforce? Why not everyone?

  15. #75

    Join Date
    Sep 06
    Posts
    3,313

    Quote Originally Posted by 75center View Post
    I lived it too. I was funding your payments. He saved it for the next 5 year old who loses a parent. It's ok if that child doesn't get the money until 18 as long as you get yours through college? Why should it have covered an adult going to college anyway? Why not the poor guy who has to go into the workforce? Why not everyone?
    You have no idea whether or not you funded mine, having no idea what my father paid into or for how long he paid into it. They changed the law, not because it was broken but because it was being abused and hard to monitor.

Top