What has changed with Mayfield

GoBigRed

I have noticed that in the last two games, Mayfield has looked better than the whole season. The team that I saw on Friday night is not the same team I saw play Hoptown, Paducah Tilghman and Marshall County. I think that this team right now could have beaten all those teams at this point. I know that coach made some big changes after the Marshall county game and switched some players around, which actually has brought out and improved other athletes we didn't know existed. Our defense is playing better against tougher teams, example, Murray scored some good points on us while Crittenden and Metcalfe combined scored 6 pts total. Is this just typical Mayfield football?

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The biggest difference with Mayfield now is attitude and leadership...you see alot more Senior leadership out of this team...and that makes all the difference in the world at this junction of a season. Also too the coaches have gotten the right kids in the right spots on both offense and defense that fit their play. The coaches...especially Coach Lawson...has stated that the biggest thing is that the found the right kids for the right spots...and with the way the "D" has been playing who can argue with that. I truely believe that if we had to do the Tilghman and Hoptown game over with...we would be 11-1 going into Friday's game...I know that is something that can't be taken back...but personally I am glad that we had those games to remind the kids of what can happen when you don't bring it week in and week out. Offensively the kids know their roles alot better...Rust is going to be the feature back starting out...but if a team keys on him too much we can always go with speed in Dumas or THE power back in Hatchell and when you throw in Adam's ability to spread a team out and either run it or throw it then things have come together nicely. Also too give Coach Morris credit...yes it would be great to have one loss or be undefeated by playing a softer schedule (and no that comment has nothing to do with Bardstown...they have played a very good schedule..that goes for some of the schools down here in Western Kentucky), but Coach Morris knows that playing the tough schools during the non-district schedule to toughen up his team will get them ready for playoff time. The rest of the coaching staff has done an outstanding job this year in getting the kids ready to play...especially here in the playoffs as the kids are focused, intense, and has not been one time during the playoffs that it appeared like we have seen something unfamiliar. So it is alot of things that has changed...or then again maybe nothing but the cream rising to the top when it is supposed to...win or lose this Friday it has been a joy watching this team from the opening game until now...I hope for the kids sake that we can take care of business Friday night and get our first hands on look at Papa Johns Cardinal Stadium and bring back a title back to far Western Kentucky.

The biggest difference with Mayfield now is attitude and leadership...you see alot more Senior leadership out of this team...and that makes all the difference in the world at this junction of a season. Also too the coaches have gotten the right kids in the right spots on both offense and defense that fit their play. The coaches...especially Coach Lawson...has stated that the biggest thing is that the found the right kids for the right spots...and with the way the "D" has been playing who can argue with that. I truely believe that if we had to do the Tilghman and Hoptown game over with...we would be 11-1 going into Friday's game...I know that is something that can't be taken back...but personally I am glad that we had those games to remind the kids of what can happen when you don't bring it week in and week out. Offensively the kids know their roles alot better...Rust is going to be the feature back starting out...but if a team keys on him too much we can always go with speed in Dumas or THE power back in Hatchell and when you throw in Adam's ability to spread a team out and either run it or throw it then things have come together nicely. Also too give Coach Morris credit...yes it would be great to have one loss or be undefeated by playing a softer schedule (and no that comment has nothing to do with Bardstown...they have played a very good schedule..that goes for some of the schools down here in Western Kentucky), but Coach Morris knows that playing the tough schools during the non-district schedule to toughen up his team will get them ready for playoff time. The rest of the coaching staff has done an outstanding job this year in getting the kids ready to play...especially here in the playoffs as the kids are focused, intense, and has not been one time during the playoffs that it appeared like we have seen something unfamiliar. So it is alot of things that has changed...or then again maybe nothing but the cream rising to the top when it is supposed to...win or lose this Friday it has been a joy watching this team from the opening game until now...I hope for the kids sake that we can take care of business Friday night and get our first hands on look at Papa Johns Cardinal Stadium and bring back a title back to far Western Kentucky.

Thanks for this post, that makes a lot of sense. I too am glad we play the tougher teams, it is nice to not get surprised by any team so it is always a good idea to play teams better than any competition you would see in your class. Hatchell has really seemed to show out in these past couple of games and he just wasn't impressing me during the season. I am glad you joined this forum, you seem to know a lot about the Cardinals.

How does coach Moriss get his hands on the video of the Danville/Bardstown game? Do we have someone go and film that or does he ask coach Harp or do we switch with someone from Bardstown?

I am fairly certain that a Mayfield coach and a Bardstown coach traded films on Saturday a.m., at a meeting place roughly halfway between the two.

Here this will help explain why things seem to be going better atleast on one side of the ball. Also the level of competition has not been what it was with the nondistrict schedule

From Mayfield Football.com

Cardinals' defense a team effort

By Barry Danowski

Publisher

Eleven hats to the ball is a defensive goal for the Mayfield Cardinals week in and week out.

“We grade our effort every week,” said defensive coordinator Brad Lawson. “Last week was the first time this season that we’ve had 11 people get to the ball on at least 85% of the plays. We were at 86% last week.”

When Lawson breaks down the film over the weekend, he’ll probably be able to add another check mark to his list.

“Our defense has played great the last couple of weeks,” said Mayfield coach Joe Morris after the Cardinals dismantled Metcalfe County 34-0 Friday night at War Memorial Stadium to capture their 26th First Region championship in 31 years. “We’re playing on Thanksgiving weekend again. We’re two games away from where we need to be.”

Once again, Mayfield did it with a fly-to-the-ball defense.

The Cardinals smothered the Hornets. Mayfield limited Metcalfe County to just one first down and 16 yards in the first half as they cruised to a 21-0 advantage.

Mayfield’s opportunistic defense even contributed in the scoring. On fourth down and 22, punter Ryan England bobbled the snap. Senior Josh Hatchell plowed England to the ground, and junior Chad Saxton scooped up the loose ball and rambled 57 yards for the touchdown as Mayfield extended its’ lead to 14-0 late in the first quarter.

When the horn finally sounded, the Hornets were held to 95 total yards and five first downs.

Heading into the regional final, Metcalfe County’s offense averaged 183 yards rushing per game and 33 points per game. The Hornets were riding an 11-game winning streak.

“Our defensive front did such a great job tonight,” Morris said. “We controlled the line of scrimmage. That’s the way that we love to win football games — beating people up front.”

During last week’s second round playoff win over Crittenden County, the Cardinals kept the Rockets highly-touted offense in check. Mayfield limited Crittenden County to four first downs and 119 yards of offense — the Rockets lone score came on a 66-yard fake punt midway through the third quarter. Junior Chance Sherrill blanketed Crittenden County standout receiver T.K. Guess throughout the night, limiting Guess to just one reception for six yards. The Cardinals recorded three interceptions against the Rockets.

Mayfield’s stingy first team defense hasn’t allowed a touchdown over the last 21 quarters of play. The Cardinals have given up just 10 points per game this season and have recorded four defensive shutouts along the way.

The Cardinals ended the regular season ranked ninth in the state in total points allowed — regardless of classification.

Sure, the Cardinals have had their share of upperclassmen shoulder the load.

Through 12 games, Hatchell leads the team in total tackles with 94 stops, 16 tackles for loss and four caused fumbles. Senior Spenser Pruiett has 87 tackles with 23 tackles for loss (through 12 games).

But there are three sophomores who have made their presences know as well — Logan Armstrong, Brent Simpkins and Levi Pruiett.

“Even though we’ve got Blake (Rust), Tristan (Dumas), Josh and Spencer, we’re still young,” Lawson said. “We’ve got a bunch of underclassmen.”

Simpkins, who led Mayfield in tackles last season as a freshman with 119 stops, has 84 tackles with 11 tackles for loss and a pair of interceptions. Armstrong has 81 tackles, 10 tackles for loss, four sacks and three caused fumbles. Pruiett, who has worked his way into the starting lineup in the second half of the season, has 77 tackles with 16 tackles for loss and a pair of fumble recoveries.

“Logan is the most improved player that we’ve got on defense,” Lawson said. “Levi has come on late and played awesome. Brent has played well all year. Those three sophomores are huge assets.”

Hatchell, who recorded over 100 tackles last season at Caldwell County, said that the Cardinals are gelling.

“It has been really surprising,” Hatchell said. “I’ve never been around a group that plays this well together defensively.”

Armstrong and Simpkins said that game preparation has been the key to Mayfield’s success.

“Coach Lawson has prepared us for everything that a team might do,” Simpkins said. “Plus we’ve picked up our intensity in practice.”

“We really prepared,” Armstrong said. “What know what’s coming.”

“We’ve stressed doing your job and everything else will take care of itself,” Lawson said. “The bottom line is that everybody now knows where to line up and what to do.”

I have heard that the Btown coaches choose not to trade film with us and we had to look elsewhere. Anyway I do know we have film on them now though

Well that isn't very classy, :rolleyes:, but I think that footage about Bardstown is going to be more valuable to us than any footage Bardstown is going to get about us, could be why they weren't willing to hand it over. But I am sure that we could find a Danville person that would be willing to send us something, :D

I have heard that the Btown coaches choose not to trade film with us and we had to look elsewhere. Anyway I do know we have film on them now though

Absolute baloney, talked to the coach tonight who delivered the goods, we gave two (including Danville) and got two. Trying to spice up the rhetoric?

Absolute baloney, talked to the coach tonight who delivered the goods, we gave two (including Danville) and got two. Trying to spice up the rhetoric?

Hearsay you are correct, I was wrong and should have confirmed my source who played me, sorry guys my screwup

Thanks for this post, that makes a lot of sense. I too am glad we play the tougher teams, it is nice to not get surprised by any team so it is always a good idea to play teams better than any competition you would see in your class. Hatchell has really seemed to show out in these past couple of games and he just wasn't impressing me during the season. I am glad you joined this forum, you seem to know a lot about the Cardinals.

Thanks for the compliment...i have been around the game for a long time...grew up with Mayfield football, played mayfield football, and now have the pleasure of watching the team week in and week out...I agree Hatchell has really steped up his play as has the left side of the offensive line...Newport, Hobbs, and Brand have done an outstanding job the past few weeks and the backs and ends are staying with their blocks longer...and of course the backs are running like they are possessed...when you get Hatchell, Rust, and Dumas running downhill they are very tough to stop...all those guys I mentioned plus everyone else will have to play their best game on both sides for us to win. My biggest concern is the lack of blocking that we have gotten some on the extra points...as that one point may play a huge role in the outcome of the game. Also too..I wonder how the status of Aaron Williams left hand is as I know he went out in the 2nd half holding that hand and never came back in...if his left hand is hurting could make catching the snap on the punt a lot more difficult and painful. So many different things you could analyze on this game...I bet all the coaches on both teams do not get any sleep this week thinking of ways to get an added edge this Friday night. If we get the effort and intensity out of the boys this Friday night I feel confident that we can come out with a hard fought "W"...but I bet the Tigers faithful feel the same way.