Sign in to follow this  
Einstein70

Newport 62 Dayton 0

This (unfortunately) was our nkysports.com game of the week and can be watched on demand in our webcasts link.

As for the game, Newport was actually only up 21-0 at the half and all 21 of those points were scored in the first quarter. Third and fourth quarter the Cats simply turned it up and started getting their playmakers the ball out in space and Dayton simply didn't have the athletes or overall talent to contain the speed of Newport's Brown and #8 (who had one heck of a game out wide).

In the beginning of the game Dayton tried using big #42, who looked like an offensive lineman, to just pound the ball against the Cats, but that eventually got stopped and the Devils had no other option but to try and just run the ball with #22, 13, and 42.

#14 really stood out to me for Dayton...but NOT because of his play on the field and I'll leave it at that. Coaches down there definetly need to pull the young man aside after watching the game on film tonight.

Another player that really stood out to me for Newport was Carter. He had a punt return for a TD and also had another TD on a long run. Nice athlete.

If things keep up like this in Dayton, they are gonna be hurting when the play Bellevue in a couple weeks.

I noticed a few "walking wounded" on the sideline for Dayton...one of which was #2, who looked to have decent size. Anyone know if this was a key player or if Dayton was without anyone?

I believe #71 and #63 both went down with injuries in this one as well for the Devils.

I noticed a few "walking wounded" on the sideline for Dayton...one of which was #2, who looked to have decent size. Anyone know if this was a key player or if Dayton was without anyone?

I believe #71 and #63 both went down with injuries in this one as well for the Devils.

#2 is the starting quaterback and honestly the kid couldnt have helped IMO. #71 is the best offenssive lineman so hes missed big time. Dayton is back to the Dayton of old, instead of talking with their pads they talk with their mouth. Since were not winning the game lets see if we can win in a fight. For Dayton to turn things around they need to start from the ground up, new coaching staff everything their are to many internal problems in this program to move forward. Its a sad thing to see just three years removed from one of their best seasons ever (07-08) class, when it seems like something positive it crashes and burns. Daytons in for a long year!

NEWPORT 62, DAYTON 0 -- Senior quarterback Demetri Brown completed 9 of 12 passes for 148 yards and four touchdowns, and he ran the ball 16 times for 122 yards and a TD as Newport pounded Dayton, 62-0 on Friday.

Senior Rodney Orr caught three passes for 93 yards and a pair of scores, and had a 99-yard touchdown called back because of an ineligible receiver penalty.

Senior Brandon Carter got the Wildcats started by scoring the first two touchdowns of game in the first quarter.

DAYTON 0-0-0-0—0

at NEWPORT 21-0-28-13—62

N-Carter 11 run (Franco kick)

N-Carter 1 run (Franco kick)

N-Orr 20 pass from Brown (Franco kick)

N-Whaley 2 pass from Brown (Franco kick)

N-Orr 55 pass from Brown (Franco kick)

N-Merrill 5 pass from Brown (Franco kick)

N-Brown 26 run (Franco kick)

N-Garland 21 run (kick failed)

N-Turner 18 fumble recovery (Franco kick)

RECORDS: Newport 2-2, Dayton 0-4.

This (unfortunately) was our nkysports.com game of the week and can be watched on demand in our webcasts link.

As for the game, Newport was actually only up 21-0 at the half and all 21 of those points were scored in the first quarter. Third and fourth quarter the Cats simply turned it up and started getting their playmakers the ball out in space and Dayton simply didn't have the athletes or overall talent to contain the speed of Newport's Brown and #8 (who had one heck of a game out wide).

In the beginning of the game Dayton tried using big #42, who looked like an offensive lineman, to just pound the ball against the Cats, but that eventually got stopped and the Devils had no other option but to try and just run the ball with #22, 13, and 42.

#14 really stood out to me for Dayton...but NOT because of his play on the field and I'll leave it at that. Coaches down there definetly need to pull the young man aside after watching the game on film tonight.

Another player that really stood out to me for Newport was Carter. He had a punt return for a TD and also had another TD on a long run. Nice athlete.

Nice little summary of the game. However the guy who had the punt return for the TD was not Carter, it was Rob Engram. He was the one back there returning the punts last night. Newport has a lot of athletes on the team this year, and very easily could be 4 and 0 right now, but had a few silly mistakes in their two losses that cost them.

If things keep up like this in Dayton, they are gonna be hurting when the play Bellevue in a couple weeks.

No doubt Bellevue will probably win that one, however I don't think it will be as one sided as it was in this game.

Sign in to follow this