Sign in to follow this  
Park1221

Matt Spalding Commits to WKU

According to Perfect Game from Thursday

Kentucky Baseball Club RHP Matt Spalding was just as impressive as Davis on the mound. Throwing 2 innings of scoreless relief, Spalding pitched in the 92-94 mph range from a very extended high 3/4's release point that gives his pitches much more downhill angle than you would expect from a 6-0, 190 lb right hander.

There were a LOT of people watching that game. You could have come sat in the 1st base bleachers with me. Spalding was very impressive. It was a rough tourney for the KBC. They gave up too many unearned runs and didnt hit very well as a team.

That's good news for St X since he was 5'10" this past spring as a Junior

I hope Matt does well. 94 will definitely get him looked at but drafted top 5 rounds I am not sure. I think I was hearing the same thing about Litteral last year.

I was there also, its hard to imagine the number of scouts unless you see it. They are in golf carts flying around the complex trying to see as many players and games as they can. And its not just 1 scout per MLB team or 1 coach per college, there are many from each. Its really something.

A college recruiter from a Division 1 school in Kentucky once said that a key reason that the World Wooden Bat World Championships in Jupiter, FL, has become so popular is that all the games are played at one facility, the spring training complex of the St. Louis Cardinals and the Florida Marlins. College and pro scouts can drive a golf cart around the complex to see all the games and many players without having to travel around a city or beyond. Also, the fall season has essentially wrapped up for colleges and most all MLB teams. MLB teams have been sending multiples scouts. U of L, U of K, Cincinnati, Middle Tennessee, and possibly Austin Peay were at many games that players from the Kentucky area played. Besides the Kentucky Baseball club, from Kentucky:

Midland Redskins/Royals Scout Team: Jackson Laumann, Chandler Shepherd, and Chase Mullins.

Marucci Elite: Walker Buehler.

There may be others.

Here is a story that describes more about the WWBA World Championship in Jupiter: Overview WWBA/Jupiter:http://www.perfectgame.org/Articles/View.aspx?article=4726

Roger Dean Stadium: http://mlb.mlb.com/spring_training/ballpark.jsp?c_id=fla

That's good news for St X since he was 5'10" this past spring as a Junior

Spalding is about 5'10". He is a great athlete

Sonny Gray (Vanderbilt) 6’ 185 # “Despite his smallish 6’0”, 185 pound frame, Gray is a phenomenal athlete with tremendous pure stuff. He displays one of the easiest arm actions around, with a whip-like delivery that allows him to touch the mid-90s with ease, sitting in the low-90s deep into ballgames.” http://www.baseballrumormill.com/players/sonny-gray/

Roy Oswalt

“I always heard that I was too small.” http://www.jockbio.com/Bios/Oswalt/Oswalt_my-say.html

“Roy stood 5-10 and tipped the scales at 150 as a senior at Weir High.”http://www.jockbio.com/Bios/Oswalt/Oswalt_bio.html

Tim Lincecum 5’11” 175

“How Tiny Tim Became a Pitching Giant” http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/writers/tom_verducci/07/01/lincecum0707/index.html

Ichiro Suzuki 5’11” 175 lbs

Early Life

“...He built strength and stamina by hurling car tires and hitting Wiffle balls with a heavy shovel, among other regimens. These exercises helped develop his wrists and hips, adding power and endurance to his thin frame. Despite his outstanding numbers in high school, Ichiro was not drafted until the fourth and final round of the professional draft in November 1991, because many teams were put off by his small size of 5' 9½" and 124 pounds.[5] (Years later, Ichiro told an interviewer, "I'm not a big guy and hopefully kids could look at me and see that I'm not muscular and not physically imposing, that I'm just a regular guy. So if somebody with a regular body can get into the record books, kids can look at that. That would make me happy.")[3]” http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ichiro_Suzuki

Pedro Martinez 5' 11"

"Officially listed at 5 ft 11 in (1.80 m) and 195 pounds (88 kg), Martínez is unusually small for a modern-day power pitcher, and he is believed to be somewhat smaller than his officially listed height and weight.[1]" http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pedro_Mart%C3%ADnez

Edited by Homerun

Terrific Examples. Matt is a terrific baseball player and has unlimited potential. I'm just amazed at how people travel and watch players and then have no idea of their actual size.

Terrific Examples. Matt is a terrific baseball player and has unlimited potential. I'm just amazed at how people travel and watch players and then have no idea of their actual size.

The first response by Engineer had hyperbole to it, though I amazed that you quickly brought out a negative and then took an inch or two off of his height.

Maybe Engineer was excited by what he oberserved. There were 700 total scouts for the tournament, but not 450 for the game. The article from Baseball America was more accurate regarding the scouts behind the bleachers. There was a great opportunity at that game with only 4 games going on and pitching against a team that had at least 5 highly followed players—commits from Rice, Oregon State, Baylor. There were more scouts there because of that. The velocities are accurate and documented by multiple third parties. There were only 3 players that through harder than him in the entire tournament. The low end of his fast ball velocity was 91 mph. I’m concerned that you make a broad statement about accuracies and lump everything together. Also, many people in Kentucky are not familiar with Jupiter and what goes on there.

Pitching Continues to Dominate in 5-0 Texas Win

10/21/2010 5:49:05 PM

Pitching continued to be the big theme on this first day of play as the Texas Scout Team Yankees shutout Kentucky Baseball Club before a throng of scouts on Blue #6.

RHP Dylan Davis started for the Yankees and the Aflac All-American was impressive, pitching in the 90-94 mph range and allowing 1 hit. Davis did a good job locating his fastball and getting some good arm side running action, especially to left handed hitters.

2011 RHP Aaron Garza was equally effective for the Yankees, picking up the save with 3 scoreless innings, striking out 5. Garza was 85-88 mph with good downward plane to the plate and a tight low 70's curveball.

CF Dereck Rodriguez, son of big league catcher Pudge Rodriguez, stood out on both sides of the ball for the Yankees, going 3-3 at the plate and showing a very strong throwing arm from centerfield. Rodriguez has shown tremendous improvement in all facets of the game over the past year and could will be a high level prospect if his bat continues to develop.

Kentucky Baseball Club RHP Matt Spalding was just as impressive as Davis on the mound. Throwing 2 innings of scoreless relief, Spalding pitched in the 92-94 mph range from a very extended high 3/4's release point that gives his pitches much more downhill angle than you would expect from a 6-0, 190 lb right hander.

Edited by Homerun

I may have spoke with haste in saying 400 plus scouts were there at the game. There was indeed a buzz there, and were easily more than 3-400 people there at the quad-plex that night. I don't think it's possible to say exactly how many people were in attendence. Regardless, this guy has some serious stuff, and definitely put himself on the map as being and easy top ten rounder in 2011.

This was never intended to be a negative - - - - Once again, Matt is a GREAT baseball player. The initial response was to "how big is Spalding". Everyone knows he has a great arm and will be the key to St Xavier's season next year. Just trying to give an accurate answer to his height.

This was never intended to be a negative - - - - Once again, Matt is a GREAT baseball player. The initial response was to "how big is Spalding". Everyone knows he has a great arm and will be the key to St Xavier's season next year. Just trying to give an accurate answer to his height.

What I find interesting is your initial response that you made. It was though you had a job in measurements for the NBA, NFL, or MLB and felt compelled to respond. In fact, you felt compelled and persisted to address this in 4 different posts. You chose to respond to that aspect when you could have addressed anything in your response. It was not congratulatory. You seem to magnify this emphasis and not even mention any of the details of what went on in Jupiter and what was accomplished. Not mentioned, too, were how hard work, the love of the game, and the willingness to learn maybe had something to do with the performance. No mention also of the sacrifice and effort to participate and the courage to be on the big stage there and compete at your best. No mention, too, of the acquired knowledge of the tournament (which is more limited by others in this area) and the awareness of the possible benefits of playing in it. While you said that it was “never intended to be a negative,” I wonder if there are other factors under the surface—even if they are not conscious. It is important to realize that if a player on a team does well, it can benefit the whole team and offer opportunities for other players. Likewise, if the team does well; it can help every player on the team.

Sign in to follow this