HammerTime

Stock Market

Just getting into investing. Curious if anyone in here has any good books/resources/videos/podcasts on learning about investing for beginners?

I’ve always liked Graham Stephan on YouTube, although he’s big into real estate as well, Dave Ramsey is steady/safe. Find out if you’re gonna use a broker like Edward Jones or a robo-invest with an app, you can do well either way. Keep in mind it typically takes 10 years to double hour money, long-term game. I prefer mutual/index funds vs. single stocks, so my eggs aren’t in one basket.

Just getting into investing. Curious if anyone in here has any good books/resources/videos/podcasts on learning about investing for beginners?

I’ve always liked Graham Stephan on YouTube, although he’s big into real estate as well, Dave Ramsey is steady/safe. Find out if you’re gonna use a broker like Edward Jones or a robo-invest with an app, you can do well either way. Keep in mind it typically takes 10 years to double hour money, long-term game. I prefer mutual/index funds vs. single stocks, so my eggs aren’t in one basket.

It's been a while since I looked at the numbers, but if I remember correctly, less than 1/3 of fund managers beat the S&P 500 each year. Less than 8% beat it three years in a row.

I have pretty much stuck with S&P 500 type index funds my whole life. I will on occasion move to money market or cash equivalents if something really bad happens(like 2008 and now). But there have only been a few times I've done that.

As I write this the price of crude oil is 4.94 per barrel. That down from 17.85 at the beginning of the day.

That seems highly unsustainable. I'm not exactly sure how the trading works with crude oil but it'd seem to me that there will be a major hit to the Texas economy.

As I write this the price of crude oil is 4.94 per barrel. That down from 17.85 at the beginning of the day.

That seems highly unsustainable. I'm not exactly sure how the trading works with crude oil but it'd seem to me that there will be a major hit to the Texas economy.

That is unbelievable, and definitely unsustainable.

West Texas Intermediate Crude for May delivery price crashed to -$37/barrel. Stockpiles are already filled, along with much lower demand. They literally can't give crude away right now.

Market is starting to lose steam. A bump in the road, or the calm before the storm?

Warren Buffett just liquidated his airline stocks taking a roughly 3 billion dollar loss. Wow, I feel for anyone in the airline industry on Monday.

Warren Buffett just liquidated his airline stocks taking a roughly 3 billion dollar loss. Wow, I feel for anyone in the airline industry on Monday.

Hopefully it's not as bad as it sounds. Airlines and tourism all around the US was booming up until Corona happened. Folks could fly places relatively cheap and it was great for everyone, from the consumer to the airline to the destination city. Could really slow down the economic recovery if airplane travel prices increase due to failing companies.

Hopefully it's not as bad as it sounds. Airlines and tourism all around the US was booming up until Corona happened. Folks could fly places relatively cheap and it was great for everyone, from the consumer to the airline to the destination city. Could really slow down the economic recovery if airplane travel prices increase due to failing companies.

He believes the industry has changed and will need billions in loans to stay afloat.

The world needs air travel. The airlines (or some of them) will bounce back strongly once the virus threat is over.

He believes the industry has changed and will need billions in loans to stay afloat.

Changed in the last 2 months or 10 years?

Changed in the last 2 months or 10 years?

He thinks it will take years to recover full flights and international flights. He had 7 billion worth of shares some purchased in January, he just gave away for 4 billion. Let’s hope he’s wrong. When he becomes bearish on a stock he dumps it all. Let’s see how much he just cratered the industry tomorrow and pray he was wrong.

He thinks it will take years to recover full flights and international flights. He had 7 billion worth of shares some purchased in January, he just gave away for 4 billion. Let’s hope he’s wrong. When he becomes bearish on a stock he dumps it all. Let’s see how much he just cratered the industry tomorrow and pray he was wrong.

What's scary is the thought that a lot of people knew what was coming before it happened. Looked at Delta's stock market numbers last night. It dropped 20% in a week starting February 27th, then another 20% the following week. Well before any shut downs had been implemented.