Harlan Boy

Harlan County vs Breathitt County

Who Wins  

69 members have voted

1. 1. Who Wins

This is going to be a game where a suspect kicking game might cost the bears. At some point there is going to have to be more emphasis put on kicking at the middle school level in Harlan County. This onside kick business every time in middle school has done the kicking game of HCHS no favors.

Whats your take?

Harlan-38

BC- 14

:flame:Bobcats

WOW:laugh: I doubt that.

This is going to be a game where a suspect kicking game might cost the bears. At some point there is going to have to be more emphasis put on kicking at the middle school level in Harlan County. This onside kick business every time in middle school has done the kicking game of HCHS no favors.

You got that right. If I where Larkey I would not let my Middle on side kick unless they had to have it to Win. I think it's sorry that we on side kick everytime and yes it has killed our kicking!

Edited by bugatti

This is a very good point. A lot of coaches have been saying this for quite a while. However, when faced with the kicking problem in HS, you have to take any means at your disposal for field position be it onside kicking, squib kicking, pooch kicking, etc.:thumb:

The middle school coaches use the talent that they have available to them. (Like any good coaches do.) I've seen times (probably when they were still West Harlan) that they've kicked deep most of the time. At that time, they were regularly kicking in-game field goals. (up to 35 yarders.) When they have a good kicker, they utilize him. When they don't, they find other ways. To place the blame for the current kicking woes on the middle school is a little far-fetched.

This Brethitt team reminds me alot of the 01 team that had Justin at the helm. They started out the 1st four games with a losing record. Mainly because they couldn't pass the ball at all. By the end of the season they had things going and where a completley different team. We all know how they turned it around the next year. Peope don't realize that they lost almost all of their line and only returned 1 of their top 5 receivers from last year. They will be fine once they gain more confidence and Jade gets better routes from his receivers. The talent is there. Holcomb will get it out of them.

The middle school coaches use the talent that they have available to them. (Like any good coaches do.) I've seen times (probably when they were still West Harlan) that they've kicked deep most of the time. At that time, they were regularly kicking in-game field goals. (up to 35 yarders.) When they have a good kicker, they utilize him. When they don't, they find other ways. To place the blame for the current kicking woes on the middle school is a little far-fetched.

Kicking is not a natural ability it has to be taught we're just saying instead of just kicking onside kicks every time teach the kids to kick. coach it during practice not just have a try out and use the best one. Take a few of them and coach them to kick and then allow them to do this during practice.

Holcomb verses Larkey...........

That may be the best match up in this game.

I think that both teams have nice athletes and a will to win, but it may come down to coaching. I look for one or the other to have to make a big decision during the game, like maybe going for two or going for it on fourth down. This will be a close game and it may come down to in game coaching decisions, if that it the case it could be a long night for the teams, fans and coaches with it going to multipy overtimes.

I look for this to be the best game in the mountians this week.

Don't get me wrong pats4life the coaches do a great job, we just need to teach the players to kick. I think it was all started back when John Luttrell was the coach at Cawood. Not saying it's a bad thing it just kills our younger kids and kicking game because we never use it.

Listen dawg, I'm not criticizing the overall job of the middle school coaches, I am with HBO669 on this. You have to teach kids to kick, especially given the lack of soccer (for the most part) in HC. Tonight, first play they OSK'd. Then they started kicking deep, and hit a couple of PAT's. Very refreshing to see us kicking in middle school. Kid does a pretty good job too......

I also think kids need to learn to cover kicks as well. Containment is essential to play defense, and what a better way to teach it than kick coverage.:thumb:

Who kicked a 35 yard field goal in middle school around here?

I been watching ball for a long time and I can't remember one in middle school.

Cory Chorak kicked a couple of extra points tonight for the seventh- and eighth-grade team, so help appears to be on the way.

I think Jeff Burkhart has kicked pretty well for the high school team this year. He hit a 30-yard extra point at Fleming County.