FanOfHoltz

Teams/Coaches Running The Spread Offense

Franklin County runs "The Tony Franklin System" very well. When Donny Walker was there they were very, very good at it. Even today with a different coach they are still good at it. LCA and Raceland is a client of Franklin system. I think Anderson county does it. Woodford does it. Hazard runs most of it when they are not in the I. Lexington Catholic runs it.

I think you need a decent QB. The good thing is the OL doesn't have to drive people off the ball. The lineman need to stay between the QB and DL in pass blocking.

Most people automatically think of the pass, when you mention the spread offense. I see it as a run offense, but instead of handing the ball off to a back, much of the time you toss it to them.

The spread offense that Raceland, and many others, run is a running offense. You complete short 5-10 yard passes and screens and let the receiver get the run after the catch. The main benefit of the offense is that you "spread" the defense out and create running lanes instead of letting a defense stack people up in the box. The spread is titled so to describe the offensive formation, but I see it as what you do to the defense: you spread them out.

You also have the split, or single, back to hand off to, to mix it up. Raceland was 60/40 pass/run this year because they had two very good backs, three good receivers, and good QB. Last year Raceland was 70/30 pass/run because they had two good backs without experience, two very good receivers and two good receivers, and very good QB. Next year I expect to 70/30 run/pass because they have two very good backs returning, two good receivers, and good QB.

The spread is very adaptable to the personnel that you have. I do not think that you have to have a great QB, or even a good QB. You have to have a QB that can throw accurate passes out to 15 yards. Most high school players can do that. You do not have to have four great receivers, just four decent athletes that can catch. I think the most important part of the puzzle is that you need to have a good OL, they do not have to be the biggest, preferably have good feet. I also think you need at least one very good back.

I don't see the spread as being any different than any other power offense. It is just a little different in how it attacks you. The spread does give you more options on how you can deliver the ball.

Franklin County runs "The Tony Franklin System" very well. When Donny Walker was there they were very, very good at it. Even today with a different coach they are still good at it. LCA and Raceland is a client of Franklin system. I think Anderson county does it. Woodford does it. Hazard runs most of it when they are not in the I. Lexington Catholic runs it.

Catholic does run a version of it, but they incorporate more run game into their offense to make them more balanced.

LO was too one dimensional with it.

Lone Oak was too one dimensional in the FINALS. They also didn't seen to understand Tony Franklins philosophy of protecting the QB.

Montgomery Co. and Woodford both run a spread offense, both teams had a good QB that could run which is really what made everything work.

Greenup County was very successful in its 1st year using the Tony Franklin system on its way to the District Championship in 4A-8.

Over the last 6 games (3 regular season and 3 playoffs), the Musketeers averaged 36 points per game in going 4-2. Both were 1-point losses.

The "spread offense" is a term that is too widely used. The are many variations. Some view the spread has using NO Tight End - Some say it is 3 wides, 1 Tight End, and 1 Back - Some claim it must be multiple. Then you have the variations of the West Coast offense which the Ewards/Mumme/Franklin offense is a product of that.

Recently, spread offenses are commonly identified by their run game. Zone / Zone Read, Spread Option, Double wing, etc.

Running a spread offense makes a defenders make plays in open space. Many coaches say that running a spread scheme is a great equalizer. No matter what the title or influence, ALL offenses will come to a point where you have to be able to run the football. CHAMPIONSHIP spread offenses can do that effectively.

The "spread offense" is a term that is too widely used. The are many variations. Some view the spread has using NO Tight End - Some say it is 3 wides, 1 Tight End, and 1 Back - Some claim it must be multiple. Then you have the variations of the West Coast offense which the Ewards/Mumme/Franklin offense is a product of that.

Recently, spread offenses are commonly identified by their run game. Zone / Zone Read, Spread Option, Double wing, etc.

Running a spread offense makes a defenders make plays in open space. Many coaches say that running a spread scheme is a great equalizer. No matter what the title or influence, ALL offenses will come to a point where you have to be able to run the football. CHAMPIONSHIP spread offenses can do that effectively.

The way I have always defined a spread is this: Which area of the fields are you trying to attack in the passing game? I coach down in Texas and we attack the field horozontally in five different zones, at both sets of numbers, at both hash marks and the middle of the field. This is how we spread a defense. We use our runs splits and blocking schemes to attack the defense running the ball.

Incidently, I think that in high school, teams can win with a one dimensional spread offense if they excel at that particular dimension either due to execution or talent. As we move up in levels to college, it is more important to be multi-dimensional. Just as an example, we coached in the state title game this year and we lost to a team that simply had excellent talent at the wideouts and quarterback positions. They only ran the ball 11 times from their spread. We were a more diverse spread offense and we ran the ball down their throat in the second half, but they still got us. We were the best defensive team in our area, but they made big plays out of their passing game.

Just a thought.

I personally think Male would benefit from a spread offense that doesnt rely too heavily on the big downfield plays. When I watched them this year, it seemed to me that Redman was trying to hard to get those "big" plays that he is used to.

Since Male's talent seems to be dwindling (though they still have speed) and their QB position is as solid as in year's past, I would think that with the players they DO get, an OK QB who can run, backed up with decent, speedy receivers and a quick, but patient TB, they could do well. Their O-Line isnt great but could sustain a block for about 2-3 seconds necessary to free up the TB or QB. It seems to me they would be similar to West Virginia. Pat White was NO deep threat all the time, but he could run and had a host of ball carriers they could give it to...you didnt know who was gonna get the ball but whoever did had the potential to break a huge run.

I personally think Male would benefit from a spread offense that doesnt rely too heavily on the big downfield plays. When I watched them this year, it seemed to me that Redman was trying to hard to get those "big" plays that he is used to.

Since Male's talent seems to be dwindling (though they still have speed) and their QB position is as solid as in year's past, I would think that with the players they DO get, an OK QB who can run, backed up with decent, speedy receivers and a quick, but patient TB, they could do well. Their O-Line isnt great but could sustain a block for about 2-3 seconds necessary to free up the TB or QB. It seems to me they would be similar to West Virginia. Pat White was NO deep threat all the time, but he could run and had a host of ball carriers they could give it to...you didnt know who was gonna get the ball but whoever did had the potential to break a huge run.

Red is a darned good coach, but sometimes he is just a little too stubborn with doing things a certain way.

Just take one look at his defense and you'll see what I mean.

Red is a darned good coach, but sometimes he is just a little too stubborn with doing things a certain way.

Just take one look at his defense and you'll see what I mean.

Central ran his defense. I am not 100% sure on this but I would think that in 6A now people are faliing Trinity's blueprint in attacking it. The problem is not in the defense itself but in its adjustments.

It was Lewis Co.'s first year running the spread offense and it seems to add a lot of excitement to the game. Although they didn't have a lot of success in W's they did score points. They didn't huddle more then 5 times all season on offense and called almost everything from the line. The QB might not have to be great, but he has to be smart and a good decision maker.