Riverside 157

Catlett out at Ballard...

I do not see Higgins leaving to go to Male. The FC administration is determined to improve football and he has a lot of slack there that he would not get at Male. Plus, with the talent he has coming back, I think he stays where he is at. In addition, I agree with the statement about Redman getting his 300 wins and then stepping out.

If my mermory seves me right I have heard the Ballard had no teachers as assitant coaches. Basically Catlett was coaching a 6A team by himself. Seems he was set for failure.

The Ballard administration needs to wake up. They just let go one heck of a coach. My question is to the Ballard admin. WHat did you give the coach to be successful? There were no assistants in the building with coach Catlett. You help run off 2 loyal assistants previous 2 years. You can't measure his success on if he could beat St.X and Trinity. Outside of Male who in Jefferson County does?

I am asking the Ballard Administration to resign for your lack of support and efforts in building a successful football program.

It appears that Ballard Administration has set a presedent, and thry have now made a statement for their school: (win at all cost).

The already had a great football coach, a great teacher and honest person, who did it the right way but just could not beat the Private Schools, that is no disgrace he always beat the teams that he should have beaten, what else could you ask for.

I wonder who will be the next next fired because a school decided to go in a different direction, Manual's coach is in the same boat, surely Manual won't stoop to the standards that Ballard has set for their community.

What coach will ever come there and beat the Catholic Schools on a regular basis. Redman has already been there and if it was such a great place he would still be there, everybody deserves one mistake but two by Redmon would only harm his great career as a Great High School Football Coach!:confused:

One wonders how long that this has been in the making. I know that Mark wasn't exactly thrilled with the schedule that his AD put together. It seems kind of unrealistic to think that Ballard could win 8 or 9 games with that schedule. IMO the mighty dollar may have been the driving force behind the teams that they play in 2007 and 2008.

Lots of good insight here guys. Thanks for the different outlooks. With the change in the talent pool as far as potential students being restricted at Male, I see this as the main point the Red MAY want to leave. If this situation truly does exist, then I can see that it would be highly propable that he could go if offered. However, setting up camp at an old camp, may not be the most pleasant of things to do at his age. He was at Ballard befor, (cant recall if he left on his own or was released..?) and they (adminstration) may NOT want him back..... In any event, it will not be an overnight turnaround. This will require several years to be competitive with the likes of Trinity with a new system etc...... Just how many more years does Red have left coaching? Honest question...? Starting a new program, all new assistant coaches etc. is a lot of work. From one of the post above, Ballard had not really supported the concept of teachers and coaches. What makes one think that they can "recruit" the top tallent in the area (Bush's, Beaumont's, etc.) to Ballard? If he cant get the tallent he wants then is he gong to be better than staying at Male??? Its really no big deal to me, just an interesting topic. Best wishes to all coaches involved in this transition time.

Truthfully, the best wishes should go out to the players.

As this coaching madness trickles down from the college ranks to high school with winning and money being major motives, the kids are often an afterthought. I agree with many of the posters that Ballard has made a mistake. They need to be careful what they wish for . . . They just might get it!!!

The Ballard administration needs to wake up. They just let go one heck of a coach. My question is to the Ballard admin. WHat did you give the coach to be successful? There were no assistants in the building with coach Catlett. You help run off 2 loyal assistants previous 2 years. You can't measure his success on if he could beat St.X and Trinity. Outside of Male who in Jefferson County does?

I am asking the Ballard Administration to resign for your lack of support and efforts in building a successful football program.

I am not sure you blame them. Coach Renner and Coach Jones are given the same things and they have successful TOP 10 in the state programs at Ballard. 11 years is a long time.

I can only assume that they have someone in mind to replace him. A couple of questions-what is the enrollment at Ballard? What is the "magnet" program

at Ballard to gain acceptance into it or how does it compare to other JCPS as to admissions?

I think for Ballard to compete in football, they have to copy the private school programs of open houses, inviting the private school kids to attend. Can a public high school send flyers to a private middle promoting an open house? I really do not know how far a public school can go. But they have a compelling financial and educational story to tell versus a tuition based school.

I see Ballard sitting in an area not that different than Colerain up in Cincy but the open enrollment that Colerain enjoys is critical. I don't know if Coach Renner could share some of the talent he has on the basketball team. Certainly, they have enjoyed success in basketball, baseball, and many female sports. I guess 6-6 doesn't cut it but Catlett is a good coach.

Anybody think that Catlett could end up at PRP?

^ Don't be suprised if Coach Catlett don't end up at a school in Lexington that has a coaching opening that occured this week.:thumb:

I am not sure you blame them. Coach Renner and Coach Jones are given the same things and they have successful TOP 10 in the state programs at Ballard. 11 years is a long time.

I can only assume that they have someone in mind to replace him. A couple of questions-what is the enrollment at Ballard? What is the "magnet" program

at Ballard to gain acceptance into it or how does it compare to other JCPS as to admissions?

I think for Ballard to compete in football, they have to copy the private school programs of open houses, inviting the private school kids to attend. Can a public high school send flyers to a private middle promoting an open house? I really do not know how far a public school can go. But they have a compelling financial and educational story to tell versus a tuition based school.

I see Ballard sitting in an area not that different than Colerain up in Cincy but the open enrollment that Colerain enjoys is critical. I don't know if Coach Renner could share some of the talent he has on the basketball team. Certainly, they have enjoyed success in basketball, baseball, and many female sports. I guess 6-6 doesn't cut it but Catlett is a good coach.

Anybody think that Catlett could end up at PRP?

Ballard's enrollment is somewhere around 1500 I believe. In regards to the magnet program, it should be noted that all schools that have a magnet program many of the requirements to get in are not all that rigid.

One other thing...the rumor of Redman going to Ballard started back at about week #9 of the season. Its very coincidental to me that this rumor began not too long ago and here we are...Catlett is out....and the CJ reports that Redman is the top candidate. It just makes you wonder or think that someone on the "inside" must have had some clue or notion as to the potential plan. I dont agree that this is a fair deal to Catlett...but as many have stated on this thread...it just seems to be the trend.

By the way, Redman left Ballard in 92 to go to Male. How good does this possible revolving door look??? Keep in mind, the administration has changed since then, so the current group of administrators are not the same ones that were there when he left, so the argument that they may have some ill feelings about Redman returning shouldnt be much of one. New administrators are in place who probably dont recall (or care) that Redman was once there and left to go to Male.

Bottom line...the only people who really knows what will happen is the Principal, the AD and Bob Redman....I guess we will just have to stay tuned. And no, it would not suprise me one bit if Catlett wound up at lexington or PRP....but I think everyone is waiting until the coaching resignations end before movements are really made. If Ballard really wants Redman and Redman wants to go Ballard, they will keep that job open as long as necessary to make it happen.

Mark is a great guy and a very good football coach.

I actually got the chance to know him some time ago. He is a good guy and I wish him the best! :thumb:

I wouldn't be surprised to see Redman leave Male and go to Ballard. His system requires athletes in large numbers to be successful (read: to consistently go toe to toe with X and T). In spite of some people claiming Male has major advantages over all the other public schools (due to facilities, Traditional status, history), it actually is at a significant disadvantage--a victim of its own success if you will. Due to its status as one of only two Traditional program schools (the other being Butler), and arguably much more desirable by the majority of parents/students within the Traditional program, there is much more demand for admission to Male than there is capacity to accept students. As a result, not all of the kids who want in (no doubt many of whom are athletically gifted) can get in. To be honest with you, I don't know how Manual has been able to improve its talent level, given similarly restrictive admissions. Ballard has open enrollment (although I don't think they provide county-wide transportation like Male or Manual offer), and I don't think it has nearly the barriers to entry that Male has. Therefore, I think Redman would be able to draw talent relatively unfettered.

Regarding Redman's history at Ballard, I believe he last served as Ballard's head coach in 1985, returning as an assistant in the early 90s after a stint as HC at Waggener. Hard to imagine that much of the old administration would still be there after 15-20+ years. He took Ballard to the state championship game in 1984, and went deep into the playoffs the following year. Given that success and the relative lack of success at Ballard since, I doubt there would be many who would regard his return as a negative. There are an awful lot of U of L fans who would take Petrino back in a heartbeat and I think this is a similar situation.

Redman was a "lock" to get the Fern Creek job two or three years ago, and the Central job last year.

Neither happened.

After talking to one of Bobby's current assistants, if he goes to Ballard I would be quite surprised.

In answer to the question above, Danny Herby was still coaching at Ballard until this news broke. Not sure if he had the title of offensive coordinator or not, since Catlett made most of the play calls, but he was the top offensive coach. He's a good person and a smart coach as well.

No idea whether coach Redman would be interested in the job, but if he takes the job, you can bet he will be able to get a significant number of out of district players into the school.