PurpleHaze

Bowling Green/Owensboro Catholic Scrimmage

In what I originally thought might be a competitive scrimmage, the Purples of BGHS decked the Owensboro Catholic Aces 34-13. BGHS stormed to a 27-6 halftime lead and never looked back.

Senior RB Jared Carpenter uncorked a 44-yard TD jaunt to open the scoring in the first qtr. Sophomore K Max Oldham, the grandson of the great WKU men's basketball coach John Oldham, booted the PAT, and the Purples led 7-0. Later in the first, junior RB Tevin Barksdale cut loose on a 19-yard run of his own. Another soph K, Zack Williams, hit the PAT, and the Purples led 14-0 after one.

Soph RB Lavance Anderson earned the Purples' third TD on a four-yard scamper, but the two-point conversion attempt failed. BGHS up 20-0. O-boro Catholic cut the lead to 20-6 with a run from five yards out. Then Barksdale set sail on a 59-yard run. Williams hit the PAT again, and that ended the first half scoring with the Purples up 27-6.

Not too much happened in the second half. Carpenter scored his second TD of the scrimmage from five yards out and Oldham booted his second PAT of the game in the third qtr to round out the Purples' scoring. Later in the third qtr, the Aces caught lightning in a bottle scoring on a 75-yard run. They hit their PAT attempt, and the final score was BGHS 34, Owensboro Catholic 13.

For the second scrimmage in a row, the Purples averaged nearly ten yards every time they called a running play. Against the Aces, BGHS gained 181 yards on the ground on 19 attempts with five scores. The Catholic figure is misleadtng...the Aces gained 157 yards on 22 plays, but 47.8% of their rushing offense came on the 75-yard scoring run. Neither team lost a fumble, but the Aces threw two interceptions.:D

Bowling Green is a fine, fine team, and that sounds like a great tuneup for Boyle and X. But I think OC is ranked to highly by BGP. They have been virtually whitewashed the last few times they have played stiff competition, without even giving them a game (a la Mercer Co. playoff). I could be wrong, but these scores just seem too lopsided.

Barksdale led the Purples' ground pounders with 81 yards on only three totes! He scored twice. Carpenter had an excellent scrimmage as well...he rang up 59 yards on only six attempts and two scores. Senior TE Ryan Wallace snagged three passes for 59 yards.:D

Bowling Green is a fine, fine team, and that sounds like a great tuneup for Boyle and X. But I think OC is ranked to highly by BGP. They have been virtually whitewashed the last few times they have played stiff competition, without even giving them a game (a la Mercer Co. playoff). I could be wrong, but these scores just seem too lopsided.

I watched the game and I have got to tell you I did not see nearly half the Catholic plays they run I saw them run maybe 6 plays the whole night. Mayber they were holding something back or just breaking in their 3rd QB this season. I don't know,but Catholic looked like they could run the ball at will against BG. IF this is the case I think BG will see lopsided scores against Boyle and Trinity. Unfortunately it won't be in the favor of BG. Don't get me wrong though BG will be good, but not the BG of old. A final note BG offense came ready to play and will have to carry this team this whole season.

I watched the game and I have got to tell you I did not see nearly half the Catholic plays they run I saw them run maybe 6 plays the whole night. Mayber they were holding something back or just breaking in their 3rd QB this season. I don't know,but Catholic looked like they could run the ball at will against BG. IF this is the case I think BG will see lopsided scores against Boyle and Trinity. Unfortunately it won't be in the favor of BG. Don't get me wrong though BG will be good, but not the BG of old. A final note BG offense came ready to play and will have to carry this team this whole season.

That could be, and I am probably hasty in saying OC doesn't deserve the lofty ranking. Lets wait until after a couple of weeks.

BG has some nice athletes but they look to be very beatable. Catholic ran at will on them. I also noticed 3 or 4 Catholic starters not dressed.

PurpleHaze, I was wondering if you were at the scrimmage. I knew I should have walked over to the other side.

BG came out sharp, and I think their overall athletism overwhelmed the Aces at first. BG jumped out 21-0, the OC settled down and drove the ball 80 yards for thier first score. But as the scrimmage wore on, I thought that BG looked like the were getting a little tired and frustrated. OC runs a no huddle and that can wear on you thoughout a game. I noticed the BG players gasping for air a lot. But the overall team speed of BG is very impressive. The tall reciever and TE Ryan Wallace look very D1 recruitable. I thought BG should have looked to the tall reciever more because he was at least 6 inches taller than his defender.

OC meanwhile showed me a lot of heart. Thier execution isnt what it normally is but they showed flashed of that potent Aces offense. I think the defense is stingy, but will always struggle against teams with good speed. I just always find it amazing how OC seems to run thier offense as well as they do. I saw a couple plays that OC made(like the kickoff return) were if they were playing a district foe instead of BG it might have gone for 6. I look for Catholic to take thier early season lumps but when the Aces get into disrict play then look out.

:fire:

Devils58, PH and I were not at the scrimmage. He had surgery and is still recovering, however, we did really want to go.

The tall reciever is D.L. Moore and the TE is Ryan Wallace. These two young men are wonderful players, as well as many others on the team. I wish we had been there so we could have seen for ourselves what they really looked like. I have noticed that there have many many times where the young men did not look up to par during scrimmages, however, were ready and able to go for the games!!!

Hope that PH and I can see you sometime this season along with some of the other members of our BGP Family....maybe fourth round of the playoffs?!!!

Good luck to all teams this year. Play to have fun and to make memories for yourselves!!!!

GO PURPLES!!!!

Hey 58!

It would have been great to have been able to hook up with you at the scrimmage! If we're both lucky and can make it through that minefield of 5A playoffs, we may yet just get that chance! Just think...that would be by far the most important game ever in that long, old rivalry! It's good that this possibility is there again.

I think that Coach Wallace has felt like our running game needed the most work this preseason, as no less than three out of our backfield will be playing on the next level this fall. They haven't disappointed so far, but it starts for real next week. We'll see how it pans out. Just looking at the numbers I got, Barksdale was outstanding, and it appears that Carpenter will be able to handle the rigors of starting both ways. When Anderson gets some actual game time under his belt, I think that he's going to be hard to stop. I have no worries about the passing game.

We're having to replace three LBs who each started three years, so we're going to have to grow up fast there. But at least we're not having to deal with the rash of injuries that we had last season...! We missed Steelman for one scrimmage and two tough ball games last year, so I'm very excited about that!:D