Corbin vs. Pikeville Predictions/Updates

Cheese

2022 Cumberland Falls Pigskin Classic   

21 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins?

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 08/19/2022 at 11:01 PM

The 2022 Cumberland Falls Pigskin Classic between Corbin Redhounds and the Pikeville Panthers. 

Corbin (12-1) in 2021 losing in the 3rd round Playoffs to Johnson Central 34-13. 2022 Corbin has the #6 BluegrassPreps.com Preseason Ranking in Class 4A. Leading the way for the Redhounds will be 4 year starter and Senior QB Cameron Combs who went 92 of 157 passing for 1529 yards and 13 TDs and 1 Interception. In the backfield will be Senior Brody Wells. Brody has played many rolls at Corbin being Wide Reciever, Slot, and Linebacker to Running Back. Brody has a couple of D1 Offers. Corbin also brings back the states leading kicker in Senior Jacob Baker who went 9/13 69.2 PCT on field goals and 66/67 PATs with a 98.5 PCT. 

Pikeville (14-2) in 2021 is the Defending Class 1A State Champion. Defeating Russellville on Kroger Field by a score of 30-27. Pikeville is the #1 ranked team in Class 1A by BluegrassPreps.com for the 2022 Preseason Rankings. Pikeville brings back Senior Blake Burchfield who in 14 games rushed for 2512 yards in 290 ATT scoring 25 TDs averaging 8 Yards per carry.  Senior Luke Ray on Defense with 142 Tackles. 

Corbin and Pikeville are both 1-1 in two meetings. 

Who Wins this game? Corbin or Pikeville 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I know he kicked a 51 yard field goal last year against Christ School that was successful. He attempted a 57 yarder against Henry Clay in the scrimmage but it was short. You can see him kick in that scrimmage. It’s on Big Things Kentucky. 

• theguru changed the title to Corbin vs. Pikeville Predictions/Updates

As an native of eastern Kentucky, this game just rolls off the tongue so beautifully.

'Pikeville vs. Corbin in the Cumberland Falls Pigskin Classic'

Both programs ooze "old money" tradition, but have maintained their relevance. And in Pikeville's case, their success over the last six years has actually enhanced their stature. These pillars of EKY football haven't met since 2008 and have only met nine times overall, with the Redhounds holding a 6-3 advantage.

The caliber of opponent and pomp and circumstance of the Pigskin Classic could serve as an ideal platform to launch Blake Birchfield's Mr. Football candidacy. The big, experienced offensive line opening holes for him will have a lot to say about that. Corbin is perplexing to me me lately, so I'm siding with the consistent excellence of Pikeville to pull this out. I trust Chris McNamee and the Panthers more.

The atmosphere should be something else, and I expect what happens between the lines to match it.

This is one of the premier bowl games in the Commonwealth.  They have consistently brought in great teams and produced big time matchups.  Kudos to the folks in charge.  I went to the Pigskin Classic one year in the 90s where Male played Moeller and I cannot remember who Corbin played.  An in-state team I'm sure.  It was maybe Coach Whittaker's first game at Corbin.  Male had Tony Driver as their all around stud and he wore a different number in the first half, seemingly to throw off the defense.  So he didn't get credit for his first half stats, and still won MVP.  

Can anyone tell me what year it was and who Corbin played? 

And if anyone has a list of results from this bowl game from its inception, that would be cool to read.

• Like 1

On 8/15/2022 at 8:45 AM, ATLCat said:

This should be an excellent season opening game.

I like what Pikeville has brewing. Corbin has to show improvement in run defense or else Birchfield and Boykins will give them fits.

I'll take Pikeville in a close one.

I'm in lock-step with you here. This should be a fun ballgame. Corbin has a bit of history in winning games some might expect them to lose during the Pigskin Classic.